Saw A Ad In The Paper.

My friend brought over a local ad in the paper that was saying, I guess the government or whoever is going to attempt to band all flavored tobacco? I dont have the article with me, but Ill get it so I can get more pinpoint details. But, has anyone else heard of this? I havent been on in a while

QUOTE (cxc5120 @ Jun 16 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friend brought over a local ad in the paper that was saying, I guess the government or whoever is going to attempt to band all flavored tobacco? I dont have the article with me, but Ill get it so I can get more pinpoint details. But, has anyone else heard of this? I havent been on in a while

http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=31218

Read up champion.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jun 16 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is probably what you're looking for...

It's banning flavored cigarettes and having cigarette companies disclose ingredients in their products, among other things. Some advertising rules. Some of this, some of that.

JINX

You owe me 1kilo of Tangiers.

QUOTE (lowspeedchase @ Jun 16 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jun 16 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is probably what you're looking for...

It's banning flavored cigarettes and having cigarette companies disclose ingredients in their products, among other things. Some advertising rules. Some of this, some of that.

JINX

You owe me 1kilo of Tangiers.

Ummm, damn. Whats the address?

Just kidding, I'd never send you 1 kilo of my Tangiers awesomeness. tongue.gif

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Jun 16 2009, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember when I was 16 smoking Camal Beach Breezers. NY State banned flavored cigarettes like 2 years ago.

man those camel flavor cigs were great i have a box of about 200 tins laying around in my room.

The ban has to do with flavored cigarettes (i.e. cotton candy newports) which are obviously intended to seduce young children into smoking. However, in our wonderful state of Illinois we did hear "Hookah" specifically mentioned as a target of this ban and I have varified that there is a push to include hookah/shisha in the "flavored tobacco" category.

I doubt hookah will be included, but it is a real possibility on a state by state basis, unlikely on a federal level though. The federal proposal has more to do with advertising and such.

Regards,
Mike

QUOTE (chinamon @ Jun 16 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what are those camel menthols that you crush the filter to get the menthol flavour?
someone told me about them over the weekend.

they're called crushes. they're basically just a camel light with a flavor bead thing in the filter that then turns it into a menthol-flavored cigarette, similar to the frost ones they have. they're not real menthols, they just give a similar cooling feeling.

Yes, but the legislation onlytalks about flavored cigarettes...it doesn't mention flavored tobacco at all.

If the legislation doesn't grant the power to the FDA to ban flavored tobacco, they can't do it. Plain and simple. Nonetheless, we should protest...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/22...smoking-monday/

Looks like it's in place... can't wait to see the labels. some of the stuff I got from Greece and the UK... Pics of diseased lungs, aborted babies, infected tracheotomies.... I am not joking they are crazy on those warnings that take up half the box!

QUOTE (Stuie @ Jun 22 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/22...smoking-monday/

Looks like it's in place... can't wait to see the labels. some of the stuff I got from Greece and the UK... Pics of diseased lungs, aborted babies, infected tracheotomies.... I am not joking they are crazy on those warnings that take up half the box!

The really hilarious part about it is that people still smoke! They dont care about imagery on the box, they just care that they want a smoke and the cigarettes are in the box.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jun 16 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but the legislation onlytalks about flavored cigarettes...it doesn't mention flavored tobacco at all.

If the legislation doesn't grant the power to the FDA to ban flavored tobacco, they can't do it. Plain and simple. Nonetheless, we should protest...

Eric is dead on (go figure). The section pertaining to flavoring is specifically to only mention cigarettes and cigarette parts (filter, etc.), not "tobacco products". Tobacco products does, of course, include all shisha grown and packaged domestically, as well as imported. This certainly sets a precedent to ban or further regulate it down the line.

This is terrible legislation. It's ostensibly aimed at keeping cigarette companies from advertising to children, but it also wholly transfers oversight of tobacco production to the FDA. The kids are what sells it, but the purpose is to put the squeeze on tobacco, and to eventually eliminate it. That's how I read it, and I read the whole damn thing today.