H.r. 1256

So, they just passed H.R. 1256. I'm not savvy with the law and so I haven't figured out Which Version of the bill passed and so I haven't read through the bill.

Anyone know how this will affect shisha producting/purchasing in the U.S. or if it will at all? Could it affect the closing down or regulation of hookah lounges somewhere down the line?

Is shisha considered a "candied" tobacco product? I'm assuming not since it isn't consumed.

Anybody read the bill? Can anyone give me a link to which version was passed so I can go read it?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chromecarz00 @ Jun 11 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the bill focuses mostly on cigarette sales...from what I read.

I know the article I read about it specifically stated "tobacco manufacturering and marketing." So, to me, that means growers too? Anyone who produces tobacco?

Cigarette companies will finally have to show all the ingredients they use in their products, woot!

Ok, me recent experiences has made it possible for me to actually understand this shit.

The version being considered is the last one listed. The notes above just say that it has passed through the House and is now on the adgenda to be considered by the Senate. So according to this it hasn't actually passed yet.

From what I have read, this will effect hookah tobacco manufacturers in the US as well as companies that have it processed overseas and then shipped to the US.

Just did keyword searches in the full bill for hookah, shisha, molasses, no hits. Adam can you please share any speculation you might have as to it's effects on our industry?

QUOTE (mushrat @ Jun 11 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The notes above just say that it has passed through the House and is now on the adgenda to be considered by the Senate. So according to this it hasn't actually passed yet.

Duh. Typical for me not to notice something like that!

"The Senate struck a historic blow against smoking in America Thursday, voting overwhelmingly to give regulators new power to limit nicotine in the cigarettes that kill nearly a half-million people a year, to drastically curtail ads that glorify tobacco and to ban flavored products aimed at spreading the habit to young people. "

Pay attention to FLAVORED products!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF. Are they talking about our hookah tobacco?????????????????

holy god I hope not! Edited by shesha1

Sec. 901

`(Applicability- This chapter shall apply to all cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco and to any other tobacco products that the Secretary by regulation deems to be subject to this chapter.

So far, as I'm reading through it, I'm not seeing anything except changes in warning labels, making sure the product is clearly labeled as to its ingredients (full disclosure), making sure manufacturers are reporting what's in their products (or changes to what's in their products) to regulators.... nothing that shouldn't be in place anyway.

Something happened with the site as I was reading so I didn't get to several portions that I wanted to read further. Get to it later. Edited by Genie

Sec. 907
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c111...1KCKTYC:e75970:

(A) SPECIAL RULE FOR CIGARETTES- Beginning 3 months after the date of enactment of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, a cigarette or any of its component parts (including the tobacco, filter, or paper) shall not contain, as a constituent (including a smoke constituent) or additive, an artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco or menthol) or an herb or spice, including strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon, pineapple, vanilla, coconut, licorice, cocoa, chocolate, cherry, or coffee, that is a characterizing flavor of the tobacco product or tobacco smoke. Nothing in this subparagraph shall be construed to limit the Secretary's authority to take action under this section or other sections of this Act applicable to menthol or any artificial or natural flavor, herb, or spice not specified in this subparagraph.

Do I read this right? They want to ban flavored cigarettes? I honestly don't see how they can do that, isn't that about the same as banning a liqueur? If they pass this and ban flavored cigarettes, then I can't see why shisha wouldn't be next on the hit list. If I paraphrase this, "A cigarette shall not contain an artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco or menthol) that is a characterizing flavor of the tobacco product or tobacco smoke."

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 11 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do I read this right? They want to ban flavored cigarettes? I honestly don't see how they can do that, isn't that about the same as banning a liqueur? If they pass this and ban flavored cigarettes, then I can't see why shisha wouldn't be next on the hit list. If I paraphrase this, "A cigarette shall not contain an artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco or menthol) that is a characterizing flavor of the tobacco product or tobacco smoke."

Not only cigarettes, and they are doing it to "de-glamorize" tobacco.

Im sorry, but we all know the dangers of smoking. I fn hate when the govt tries to control our lives to this point. It bugs me. Spend all the money you want educating the people on the dangers, then let them make the choice.

QUOTE (freeOS @ Jun 11 2009, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand the need to "de-glamorize" but you can do that with simple packaging (or lack thereof) and by changing advertising techniques. Taking the flavorings out? That's like telling us we can't have flavored coffee or flavored liqueurs. Guess if they ever take the flavorings out of shisha, manufacturers will always have the option of selling the flavoring mix separately then people can mix their own. But still... no one is talking about changing shisha just yet. I'm only speculating.

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 11 2009, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (freeOS @ Jun 11 2009, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand the need to "de-glamorize" but you can do that with simple packaging (or lack thereof) and by changing advertising techniques. Taking the flavorings out? That's like telling us we can't have flavored coffee or flavored liqueurs. Guess if they ever take the flavorings out of shisha, manufacturers will always have the option of selling the flavoring mix separately then people can mix their own. But still... no one is talking about changing shisha just yet. I'm only speculating.

I'll simply make my own shisha if any of this goes down. I'll probably save a ton of money.

Well, I just heard on the news it passed.......

I have a gardner friend. Wonder if he could sneak tobacco plants into every yard he works on.......

I never wanted to make my own shisha. I just might have to reconsider after this. Any chance of the big shisha manufacturers filing suit?

'Rani

QUOTE (BohoWildChild @ Jun 11 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never wanted to make my own shisha. I just might have to reconsider after this. Any chance of the big shisha manufacturers filing suit?

'Rani

It hasn't passed just yet. No reason to file suit yet as it doesn't affect shisha... yet.

This is some crap. I'm gonna have to save up some money and stockpile on shisha lol....damnit.

YET!!!!

QUOTE (Moefasaaa @ Jun 11 2009, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is some crap. I'm gonna have to save up some money and stockpile on shisha lol....damnit.

YET!!!!

There's time, it hasn't passed yet. And even when it does, new legislation will have to be written to include shisha. Hey, how long does shisha keep, anyway?

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 11 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YET!!!!

There's time, it hasn't passed yet. And even when it does, new legislation will have to be written to include shisha. Hey, how long does shisha keep, anyway?

I think it depends on the kind, but I've heard of some keeping for up to 3 years.

-Z

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 11 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YET!!!!

Actually it has passed. A breaking news report said both senate and house have now approved and signed it, and they were celebrating the landmark victory. The catch is the whole thing is left in the FDA's hands to decide what's what. The bill clearly indicates flavored tobacco products. The head of the FDA could decide that includes shisha, and in fact there's a very real chance that's just what will be decided because guess who wrote and sponsored the bill? Phillip-Morris! To my knowledge Phillip-Morris doesn't make flavored products except menthol which is allowable under the new law. So while it was all done under the guise of protecting our children from smoking, it give them a clear run at competing flavored products. So what can we do? Everybody needs to go to www.whitehouse.gov and send an email to the President asking that the bill be vetoed until it is modified to allow for hookah tobacco. Point out it's going to kill an entire industry including imports for which the US won't be able to collect taxes on. Maybe it will help.

'Rani

Actually it has passed. A breaking news report said both senate and house have now approved and signed it, and they were celebrating the landmark victory. The catch is the whole thing is left in the FDA's hands to decide what's what. The bill clearly indicates flavored tobacco products. The head of the FDA could decide that includes shisha, and in fact there's a very real chance that's just what will be decided because guess who wrote and sponsored the bill? Phillip-Morris! To my knowledge Phillip-Morris doesn't make flavored products except menthol which is allowable under the new law. So while it was all done under the guise of protecting our children from smoking, it give them a clear run at competing flavored products. So what can we do? Everybody needs to go to www.whitehouse.gov and send an email to the President asking that the bill be vetoed until it is modified to allow for hookah tobacco. Point out it's going to kill an entire industry including imports for which the US won't be able to collect taxes on. Maybe it will help.

'Rani

According to The Article I cited, the House has yet to pass it, and the article was published today. Not saying I'm right, just going by that article. Haven't found a news source that says otherwise, but that just means I couldn't find it.

Please point out which part of the bill specifically mentions flavored tobacco. It mentions flavored additives in cigarettes, but I haven't seen anything about flavored tobacco besides that, although I haven't read it in its entirety.

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 11 2009, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

'Rani

According to The Article I cited, the House has yet to pass it, and the article was published today. Not saying I'm right, just going by that article. Haven't found a news source that says otherwise, but that just means I couldn't find it.

Please point out which part of the bill specifically mentions flavored tobacco. It mentions flavored additives in cigarettes, but I haven't seen anything about flavored tobacco besides that, although I haven't read it in its entirety.

The house signed it this afternoon.
EDIT - Sorry, meant Senate.
'Rani

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c111...1QHTEsq:e79343:
This is the only part of the actual bill I've seen that speaks on the issue of banning flavored tobaccos, and as such the wording (in the first paragraph) seems to me to only refer to cigarettes.
I could be totally wrong and there might be something else in the bill, but if this is the only statement as to the banning of flavored tobaccos, I think there shouldn't be too much to worry about.