Can't Seem To Get A Good Burn Happening !

QUOTE (EternalSoil @ Mar 22 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's your problem!

you should have a piece that goes on there that has a grommet that makes an airtight seal with the bowl!

I only have one grommet and that is the big one that goes into the neck of the bottle. Wouldn't a plastic grommet under the bowl melt ?

k

Well........let's see. I live on Cambodia and the pipe came from Afghanistan so I would say I have two chances; Stuff all and none !. BUGGER.

LUCKILY.........my mate is going back to Kabul in 2 weeks ! *phew*

So when I have the grommet, i still remove ALL ball bearings ?

K

maybe you can get a piece of brass/steel pipe threaded to fit the top...then wrap the pipe with electrical tape till you can get a good seal on it with a grommet and bowl.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,
Sorry to dredge this thread up but I have embarrassingly realised there IS a grommet set into the underside of my bowl with a brass threaded piece. I was able to simply remove it by using the pliers on my multi tool.

[attachment=3376:SHEESHA__22_.JPG]

If you look at this photo of my bowl, the grommet and thread are up in the underside. I am assuming that washer is in the right place and is meant to hold the ashtray down. The thing is, when I screw the bowl down, it is a little loose on the grommet and I can just slip the bowl off quite easily. I did see a thread just recently where someone was having the same issue.

[attachment=3377:ModBowlGrom_L.jpg]

This is basically the same grommet as what I have.

So how to tighten the connection ?

Second question and sorry to repeat but if I take the bowl and grommet off and blow down the stem, it is airtight with no air escaping anywhere. Or if I blow through the ports with the BBs in, same thing - impossible to get air flow.Then, when I take the ball bearing out of just one hose port, I get air flow through that port which says to me that those ball bearings are actually acting as air stoppers ?? That is - If i want to have a 3 way smoke with all hoses, I remove all bearings ?. If it is just me, I remove just one ?

thanks

KK

keep the bb's in place, don't take them out, they make it so when you have more hoses hooked up to it, your buddies don't have to plug the hose to keep air from seeping in. its called autoseal, and its good, leave them where they are, and get your grommet situation figured out, there are many websites that sell new grommets.

Ok. Here are some more shots of my bowl and grommet set-up .

To recap ; I have not been able to get nice big mouthfuls of smoke during my first 4 sessions.

[attachment=3378:grommet.JPG]

The grommet

[attachment=3379:IMG_0706.JPG]

The grommet slid onto the brass inner threaded piece

[attachment=3380:IMG_0709.JPG]

The grommet inserted into bottom of bowl ( notice it sits about 2 mm lower than the rim - is this normal ? I would have thought there should be some room for the grommet to "squish" down when tightened )

[attachment=3381:IMG_0711.JPG]

About to screw the bowl onto the main pipe

and...........

[attachment=3382:IMG_0712.JPG]

Here it is attached

[attachment=3383:IMG_0714.JPG]

If i lift the bowl off ( which is quite easy ), here you can see the grommet and brass thread. Now....notice there is a small space under the grommet where the washer is sitting.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer. There might be nothing wrong with this set-up at all but being a newbie I don't know !

Please let me know what you think.

thanks

Shouldn't be a problem unless you notice your pulling air from thAT part of the seal...take a pull with no baccy / coalls in it, and place your hand around the grommet area, if you feel a rush of air, then its not sealed properly.

Wet paper towls ftw maybe.

What happens when you draw on it with no bowl?

Is it an easy pull, like breathing, or is it hard to draw just air through the pipe (man the top of that pipe looks SO SMALL to me)?

I'm wondering if the problem is the pipe, or the smoking. It can be really hard to tell the difference when you are just getting started. I used to think that my problems were the pipes I owned, until I learned the problem was ME. Now I can get any pipe I own to smoke well, if not excellently. As someone here said, probably more than once, hookah smoking is an art... and like any art, even the talented have to practice.

Ok everybody can relax now. Last night I finally had a wonderful sheesha experience. However here is how it went.

After fiddling around trying to get the grommet under the bowl in a "better" configuration, I gave up and left it as is.

I removed one BB from one port ( just me smoking ) and left the other two BBs in.

I packed a loose bowl to just over the rim.

Lit a cole and got it glowing and dropped it on top.

Nothing. i seriously could not even get it to smoke one bit.

I cried.

Then....with sheer persistence, I regrouped, cracked another beer and sat down for attempt 2.

This time I got another 2 coals glowing and then broke them into thirds ( so i had about 6 small chunks ) and VOILA !!

Within a few minutes the Nanny was running from the room with my baby daughter as the room filled with billowing smoke coming out of my ears, noise,mouth and eyes.

So you know what the problem was it seems ? My impatience ! Not enough heat....not enough practice etc

Happy Daze.....................................

Thanks for everyones help. Muc appreciated ;-)