Scalliwag's Cherokee Herbal Shisha

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the review post Drabin, and I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say thanks for being very honest about your thoughts on it. I can't wait to get mine.

-Z

Bad news guys. I made a huge batch of Van-Rasp-Pmint and it is about the same level as the first test batch. I've been trying for the life of me to figure out where the glitch is. I followed my notes to the T. Bottom line is I am not happy with the way it turned out and until I get more herb in I'm screwed.
At first I thought it just needed a couple of days to do it's thing and it would kick off like the last batch did. So I thought all was well. The flavor is too damn light. Tarik and I had some glitches getting shipping setup via his Fedex account and that may turn out to be a good thing.
I've been stressing out pretty damn bad over this and other issues (i.e. the wife is mad as a hornet at me because the project has consumed every waking moment. But that does not explain WTF is up with this.

Needless to say I am thoroughly discusted with friggin life right now. sad.gif There's all you guys that ordered that ordered other stuff and are already held up on getting that stuff. I honestly do not know the the eff to say.
I'm trying to reach Tarik because I really wanted to discuss this with him but have not had no luck getting him.
The bottom line is that I'm not satisfied with the batch but I did not get enough herb to make another round right now.
I'm just as concerned about fixing things with you guys as I am with the mix.
I have been so stressed out on the thought of having to make this post that I really can
t describe that. I've put every waking hour except for eating combing over every detail. The only thing I can figure is maybe I was trying to mix too much at once. I just don't know.
So I'm not sure what it takes to fix this guys and I have never dreaded hitting the "add reply" button as I'm feeling right now but I have to. sad.gif Sorry

QUOTE (Scalliwag @ Mar 8 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bad news guys. I made a huge batch of Van-Rasp-Pmint and it is about the same level as the first test batch. I've been trying for the life of me to figure out where the glitch is. I followed my notes to the T. Bottom line is I am not happy with the way it turned out and until I get more herb in I'm screwed.
At first I thought it just needed a couple of days to do it's thing and it would kick off like the last batch did. So I thought all was well. The flavor is too damn light. Tarik and I had some glitches getting shipping setup via his Fedex account and that may turn out to be a good thing.
I've been stressing out pretty damn bad over this and other issues (i.e. the wife is mad as a hornet at me because the project has consumed every waking moment. But that does not explain WTF is up with this.

Needless to say I am thoroughly discusted with friggin life right now. sad.gif There's all you guys that ordered that ordered other stuff and are already held up on getting that stuff. I honestly do not know the the eff to say.
I'm trying to reach Tarik because I really wanted to discuss this with him but have not had no luck getting him.
The bottom line is that I'm not satisfied with the batch but I did not get enough herb to make another round right now.
I have been so stressed out on the thought of having to make this post that I really can
t describe that. I've put every waking hour except for eating combing over every detail. The only thing I can figure is maybe I was trying to mix too much at once. I just don't know.
So I'm not sure what it takes to fix this guys and I have never dreaded hitting the "add reply" button as I'm feeling right now but I have to. sad.gif Sorry

I didn't order any so I may be speaking out of term but, I'm sure people would wait for your best than demand your second-rate now. Take it easy buddy.

For myself, I'm just glad for the update. I have been wavering, as I am coming back to Texas on Friday, and now I know that I need to get in touch with Tarik as well so I can update the shipping address. We can wait for it, I still have plenty of Tangiers =) Scalli, just get it right man! I'm sure you're gonna find out what's up with it and get it straightened out, I really am looking forward to it because I'd love to change from tobacco to something different. I don't know if I'm the only one who is OCD about this stuff and checking this post every few hours... but if I can live with waiting I'm sure we all can man. Besides, I want it to be good not just so-so! No worries man, you've got at least a few of us who are just gonna say keep on trying!

BTW, take a few hours for you man, relax a bit, focusing too much on it might be why you can't find what's wrong. Sometimes the answer will come when you've got something else entirely on your mind. GL man and just keep us updated.

-Z

I did order and I can say: don't worry man. We ordered it because we love hookah and we would love to try it. Even if it takes more time, I'm sure no one will be upset. Just sit back, have a drink, have a good smoke and then get back to it after you've relaxed. No use in stressing out over something that's supposed to help you relax smile.gif

QUOTE (Scalliwag @ Mar 8 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scalli,

I preordered last week. I'd rather wait a month or three and have the product perfected than get a botched batch. Take your time man, we're all human.

Talked with Scalli a few days ago on the phone. The brother is a stressed. I am glad to see so many posts that with encouragement and understanding.

Scalli, you know me brother, give me another call if you need ANYTHING!

Thanks for the understanding guys. Sorry for the delay in updating. I figured once I updated I was having troubles that I would be tied to checking back regularly and that would take even more time away and probably just stress me worse.
I am going to feel much more at ease knowing all of you that posted so far are understanding. Being stressed out really screws my universe up. Even if I have to make it in smaller batches or whatever it takes I will get it back on track. It seems like every time I setup a deadline or try and structure something an effing curveball hits me in the head.
Hopefully luck changes back to good really soon.

QUOTE (voski @ Mar 8 2009, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Scalli don't even worry about it! I don't mind waiting for mine take your time. If I lived out there I would definitely come by and help! Good luck!

I wish it was as easy as throwing more folks into it. I premixed all my herb, or at least the last of one of the main ingredients to make the base mix with everything but flavoring and glycerin. Somewhere in the base mix is where the prob hit. Now all my base ingredients are already mixed up and I can't un-eff it. I spent the end of the week up until today trying to get something going from the premix and it just was not happening. I don't want to jinx myself but I think once I get my new herb in I can have it up and running.
I learned a very valuable lesson; never mix up all the shit just in case the system is not quite as solid as you thought it was. My gawd this is painful.

You'll think more clearly and get better results if your not stressing Scalli... think of it as an adventure... pace yourself and enjoy the ride. It's right when it's right and not before. I appreciate you sharing the journey with us... very interesting.

John

Scalli, don't try to think of this as a business venture. Think of it as a casual experiment in pleasure, with a number of willing and patient little hamsters as the test subjects. Relax. We smoke for the enjoyment of it, and we'd love to see you succeed in increasing that enjoyment, but only if you can participate. Take your time and have fun with it. Every inventor has to tweak his " baby " before showing it off to the world ( except, maybe, that bastard who invented the Pet Rock in the " 70's ). For me, this purchase is more like a surpise present than an internet sale. No angry mobs here, man, just a buncha buds impressed at your ingenuity!

QUOTE (jdehart @ Mar 8 2009, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'll think more clearly and get better results if your not stressing Scalli... think of it as an adventure... pace yourself and enjoy the ride. It's right when it's right and not before. I appreciate you sharing the journey with us... very interesting.

John

QUOTE (smokeytheclown @ Mar 9 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scalli, don't try to think of this as a business venture. Think of it as a casual experiment in pleasure, with a number of willing and patient little hamsters as the test subjects. Relax. We smoke for the enjoyment of it, and we'd love to see you succeed in increasing that enjoyment, but only if you can participate. Take your time and have fun with it. Every inventor has to tweak his " baby " before showing it off to the world ( except, maybe, that bastard who invented the Pet Rock in the " 70's ). For me, this purchase is more like a surpise present than an internet sale. No angry mobs here, man, just a buncha buds impressed at your ingenuity!

thanks guys. While I try not to think of it as a business venture I know it is marketable and with the tobacco laws and the stories of lounges shutting down because of some of that I'm compelled to really go after this hard. By nature I'm not a businessman or a greedy person although I would like to have the lunge/bar/microbrewery I've talked aboutand I figure that could come across to some as wanting to run some sort of little empire of sorts.
To me it is more a means to an ends. I could not run the operation on my own if I had to but I have very talented and smart people that would do that for me in a heartbeat if the time came. Then I can focus on the R&D that I love.
And once things took off shut the place down one week a year and take the whole bunch to Cancun smile.gif
So it's more business to me in that sense. With success I get to have friends around all the time except when I need my focus time where I hole up in my study or my lab and run with the latest thing bouncing in my head.
Right now I'm freakin stir crazy because I am at a standstill until the herb gets in.

But I have another project that is not really rocket science but something really cool that I think you guys will really like and want. I am waiting for the sample material to get here but I am going to make some wicked washable hoses.
If the material is what I expect it will be really cool. The ends will be removable so you can get the flex hose separately for cheap. A wide variety of handles and hose covers. My buddy that wants to help with handling the herbal production once the system is in place will need more stuff to keep him busy.
I like messing with exotic woods so that gives me something to chill when I'm frustrated and need to take a rest from more tedious R&D. I love a good challenge but I can get pretty frustrated at times too. Those are the ones that really push me to succeed because the harder success comes the better the thrill I guess you could say.
Building some hookahs with a native american sort of twist sounds fun too. Handcarved stone bowls and a few things to save for when it comes around.

At least you guys are the coolest bunch and even though I overextended my ass I highly appreciate the patience during this bungled up mess. See if I don't have a project to keep me busy I just ramble and ramble and ra....

Good news and bad news. The bad news first. I have to put my Shiner Shrine hookah project on the back burner sad.gif The good news is I had a box of herbs waiting when I got home smile.gif So don't expect a lot of updates until I get this going good. Just cross your eyes for luck and keep 'em crossed til I say so!!! wink.gif ARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Good news, not great, but really good. I got back to square one which was really good. But listening to reviews so far I wanted to see if I can get the raspberry and vanilla up a tad more. It was better than the test batches but still a prominent peppermint. You would think stepping the pepermint down or the raspberry vanilla up the problem woud be solved but it's not quite that simple.
It's more like everythig has to be concentated more. You can only get so much liquid flavoring into shisha and it still smoke. The balance is critical. The more concentrated the flavor extract the better. For Hellcat and others attempting to do this as I said I'll only give so much info but that's a piece of the puzzle you will find useful.

Update. I found what looks to be a good method for flavoring. Letting just the flavoring soak with the herb before adding anything else. I want to let it soak at least another day and let some soak longer and see at what point it maxes out, But I am not going to wait much longer before I mix the batches that will send.

QUOTE (Scalliwag @ Mar 18 2009, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Update. I found what looks to be a good method for flavoring. Letting just the flavoring soak with the herb before adding anything else. I want to let it soak at least another day and let some soak longer and see at what point it maxes out, But I am not going to wait much longer before I mix the batches that will send.

Well that does make sense... good luck Scalli, I hope you nail it

John