Flavored Charcoal

So for a while now every once in a while when I explain hookah to someone, they are like "Oh flavored coals!" at this point I pretty much right them off as an idiot, because no one has ever been able to show me a box, a coal or website with this "flavored charcoal"

I can't believe I found some.

http://www.arguily.com/dispProduct.asp?prd_id=5

Not sure how to go about using those properly.

Well I got some apologizes to give out.

where do these random hookah shops come from. They all sell random shit that isn't even the popular stuff at the time. no vortex, no phunnel, hookahs I've never heard of and now FLAVORED COALS! honestly I don't see how that really works.

isnt this rynos old vase?

http://www.arguily.com/dispProduct.asp?prd_id=17

the one we all loved that tragically bit the big one a few months ago?

Ya, many people at the bar think the flavour is in the charcoal, ignoring the fact that there is a bowl full of tobacco underneath.

I've smoked with some brand of Grape flavoured charcoal at a hookah lounge I used to go it. Adds a light, very artificial grape taste. Not something that was necessarily pleasant.

I dunno... I can't shake the feeling that those coals are completely and totally unhealthy (compared to 'normal' hookah coals)

i've seen those coals at a local arabic grocery, and people buy them....so they can't be all that bad (i would never try them)

and give the guy a break, he's a lebanese immigrant to Canada, big deal if his spelling or syntax is off...that's why the site is called arguily, mean there aren't standards in anglisizing/transliterating arabic words into english i've seen arguily, arguileh, argeeli, argeelee, and argeeleh so what if he picks the one that's CLOSEST to the original arabic....but not a whole lot of you guys on the forum would get that if i broke it down as to where the english meets the arabic on that one....

arguily/arguileh = أرجيلة

okay, that's the 'old' spelling, based on an egyptian pronunciation...and the word arguileh isn't even used any more in egypt, now they say shisha.

and from right to left you have the arabic letters:
alif (with 7hamza) = a
ra = r
jiim/giim =j/g (depending on where you're from)
yaw = y/ ee/ long i
lam = l
ta = t

add those together = arjeel[a]t[oo] <- that would be the Modern Standard Arabic pronunciation arjeelatoo
you can also get -> argeel[a]t[oo] egyptian MSA pronunciation

BUT IN LEBANON
the ending ta is pronouced similar to the yaw, so it makes a long i/e sound (but not as long...if that makes sense)
SO you take the same word and in lebanon it's pronounced argeeli OR argeely OR arguileh OR arguily...depending on where you're from (jbeil, chmeil, jnoub, or beirut)

so before you go busting this guy's balls and not trusting anything on his site, citing
their unique spelling of arguily
, i'd like you to learn some arabic and transliterate something exactly the same as the next guy.
hell, look in the arabic translation/transliteration page started by georges/codename and we don't transliterate the same word the same way

NB: some of you who might take the time, may look on your coconara boxes and realize that the word on their isnt أرجيلة but rather أركيلة this is a modern adaptation of the same word, replacing the jiim (j/g) into kaaf (k) so no longer does one have to fake an egyptian accent to 'correctly' pronounce arguileh, but now can read it the way it's spelled but it may sound a little off when said slowly arkeeli/arkuileh...but when you say it quickly it all sounds the same

edit: no html skillz Edited by antouwan

Its interesting....flavored charcoal, as to it being possible it makes sense since you can get a "coal" taste why cant their be something that uses that to make a more flavored taste like orange. I dont it would be good by any means but I think it is possible.
O and def. backing antouwan on this whole not trusting a guy's website just cuz the way argeleh is spelled. He is so write transliteration from a language that has more letters in the alphabet than english makes things quite difficult especially if some of the sounds are rarely ever used in english or not even in english at all. Anyway thats my 2 cents.

OK question
When you burn something, anything, does it not smell like something burnt?
Like lets say I burna rose petal and I know (for a fact) it smells like its burnt and I bet it tastes like its burnt.
I dont see how "flavoured" coals would work. Lol it just sounds like a load of crap or someone is trying to market a product