Hookah Holder

Snoopy1966

I have an end table that would be perfect to make a Hookah holder out of. I saw some designs on the net somewhere and now I can not find it. I searced the forums here and I did not find anything. If I missed it could someone post the link to it? All I basically want to do is to have the base underneath the table top and from the hose outlet up to be above. I saw a pic here that kind of is what I want to do. I just want something to make my Hookah stable and not tip. I alredy broke one base and I don't want that to happen again. Anyone know of a DIY somewhere? I saw the cool table in the Disusion forum and $400 is a bit to much for me to spend and the flaws that mushrat ponted out about it.
Thanks for the help

Bases break, its just something that happens. So do bowls. Human capacity for error. That said, why not just take a coffee table, cut a circular hole, and put a cage underneath it to prop up the vase? Or are your looking for something that is aesthetically appealing?

Yeah, the general idea is to have it sit low enough that even when pulled on, the tables edge props it in place. Seems to me that with that table, the cage, or whatever you are sitting underneath it would still show, but if your goal is to protect the vase, and you really don't care about it looking fancy, then what the hell. It doesn't need to be a cable, it could be a small upside down tea table. I was going to do it with mine, before I was swamped by work and school, and I was just going to have one of those laptop risers nailed upside down under the table.

BTW, my dead vase count is at 4 right now, and bowls... I don't even know if I could come with a number. So don't feel bad. That Egyptian vase you have is easily replaceable, HS carries them in spades, and the price isn't bad, either. Hookah is a pricey habit. I spend around a grand a year, and I'm sure the senior members spend much more. Edited by Geiseric

Yeah I got my replacement base from HS. I got the large, I should have got the medium, that was the original size I think because my replacement base is 2" taller. I spend a lot too on Hookah stuff, and I expect some breakage. I just want to make it safer and the Hookah head lower for when I play games. I can go browse around the second hand furniture shops also to see if there is anything cool I can pick up.

Anyone out there make something like this to offer up Snoopy a pic or some more great ideas? I have a coffee table that is the same design with shorter legs by about 4". I could put those legs on the end table and have a taller coffee table.
Any ideas what to make the Base hoder out of? I was thinking of getting some 2"X2" boards for the part that goes down into the table. Also something for the base to sit on that will hold up a bit to the water conedsation when the Ice cubes melt in the Base.

If you are not married to that table, why not set the base into the table? Single large hole to accommodate the vase. Suspend a piece of wood below the tabletop with dowels. Drill through both the top, and the platform (maybe before cutting vase hole, screw platform temporarily to tabletop where the hole would be. Easy to keep holes aligned) I would think 3/8 dowels, 4 would work, but 8 would make a "cage" better. some 90 minute epoxy would hold it perfectly.

QUOTE (Snoopy1966 @ Dec 17 2007, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do not mind if it is not fancy. So just make a hole the size of the base so you can set it in the cage?

This is the table and Hookah I want to do it with

Honestly, with that table, you could probably just cut a hole in the middle wide enough to put the hookah through, but not much wider, and let the hookah sit on the floor. This would keep the hookah from being knocked over, and catch any coals you accidentally knocked off while ashing/moving around so they didn't burn a hole in your floor.

If you can make it so that the top of the table rests below your hose outlet, then I think it'd be pretty effective to just have the hookah sit on the floor, encircled by the table. that'd be the least-effort solution.

It would, however, not be as aesthetically pleasing as a table with a little 'cage' for the hookah.

make the hole big enough so that you can put the vase in from under the table, then when the bigger part touches the table you can have the screen and a latch to hook it with so its more stable. then you can put the stem on the hookah.

So just make the hole a little bigger than the opening of the top of the Hookah then? Do you like the dowel idea? I could make it so part of it opens to put in the base and then latch it shut. Do you have something else in mind to hold the base underneath the table? This is what I like to get a bunch of people with ideas. Thanks everyone.