Epoxy On Bowl

Jshenrikson

I figure this is the right place to ask about this. Is there any problem in using epoxy to glue part of my clay bowl back together? Some girl knocked over my hookah and a little piece of of the clay bowl (part of the bottom) broke off. It seems an alright distance away from the heat, but it is on the bowl so I want to be careful.

QUOTE (MechAnt @ Nov 14 2007, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't. Dangerous to your health. We don't want a forum member dying. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!! The whole bowl heats up pretty damn hot especially during a long session.

Well, I'm sure theres some sort of glue that will work for that application but you probably wont be able to find it at your local hard ware store.

We have two MYA bowls that were broken and put back together at the bottome of the bowl with standard super glue, never had any problems.

QUOTE (KillZedKill @ Nov 14 2007, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have two MYA bowls that were broken and put back together at the bottome of the bowl with standard super glue, never had any problems.

Also, the heat would crack the broken bowl again way before any toxins would be released, Right?

QUOTE (KillZedKill @ Nov 14 2007, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (KillZedKill @ Nov 14 2007, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, the heat would crack the broken bowl again way before any toxins would be released, Right?

yea I used superglue for along time, but I wanted something stronger. I don't think that this should be shot down without some actual scientific evidence, I'm pretty sure the temperature is far hotter that normal coals. I found a site saying that epoxy can withstand up to 300 degrees F. How hot could a bowl possibly get?

No clue, someone on here probably does know that though, try searching.

yep, I'm an adventurous type, so theres no need for research. Didn't work. A little after the heat was on, I realized it was not hitting correctly and noticed the piece that was glued on popped off. I didn't taste anything different and I'm not dead and feel fine, so I'm going with it releases toxins after it fails to hold. Any suggestions on what I could use (that would be stronger than superglue)? Edited by Jshenrikson

This is what I would try:

Permatex Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket is formulated for high temperatures and heavy duty use. Red RTV is designed to maintain maximum performance at continuous 600F temperature. RTV Gasket Maker moisture cures at room temperature. This vulcanizing gasketing compound resists aging, weathering and thermal cycling without hardening, shrinking or cracking. It endures temperatures ranging from -75F to 650F intermittent. Permatex Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket comes in a 3.0 ounce tube.
Product Benefits

[/color]
Superior adhesion and flexibility Replaces most cut gaskets Can be used as a gasket maker or dressing Easy application Non-flammable Non-toxic [color="#ff0000"]

Anything that does not retain some flexibility once cured (such as superglue) is going to crack because it does not have the same coefficient of expansion as your bowl material. If it's broke down at the grommet, I'd RTV the broken piece as well as the grommet itself all together. Let it cure overnight. Wash it good and let 'er rip!

QUOTE (MechAnt @ Nov 14 2007, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't. Dangerous to your health. We don't want a forum member dying. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!! The whole bowl heats up pretty damn hot especially during a long session.

God dammit, I just have to say shit like this really pisses me off. This is exactly the reason some people are now afraid to use copper in there hookahs, because one dumbass made some completly invalid comment.

QUOTE (Duffer @ Nov 14 2007, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Superior adhesion and flexibility Replaces most cut gaskets Can be used as a gasket maker or dressing Easy application Non-flammable Non-toxic

Gasket compound doesn't adhere bits together as glue does - the bolts that hold together the two metal bits the gasket goes between does that. The superior adhesion is gasket to metal, not bonding the metal together.

QUOTE (manntis @ Nov 15 2007, 05:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Superior adhesion and flexibility Replaces most cut gaskets Can be used as a gasket maker or dressing Easy application Non-flammable Non-toxic

Gasket compound doesn't adhere bits together as glue does - the bolts that hold together the two metal bits the gasket goes between does that. The superior adhesion is gasket to metal, not bonding the metal together.

So the RTV sutff wouldn't work, it sounded like a great idea. The compound wouldn't keep ceramic together?

Perhaps some lead-less solder without lead in it? I have noticed that while solder will not stick to the ceramic itself(I often use ceramic tiles to protect a surface while soldering) they will stick to broken edges on ceramic. Perhaps it could be used as a binding agent. Who knows, though. Just shooting an idea out there.

*edit for sentences that fail at making sense* Edited by Geiseric

QUOTE (Jshenrikson @ Nov 15 2007, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (manntis @ Nov 15 2007, 05:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So the RTV sutff wouldn't work, it sounded like a great idea. The compound wouldn't keep ceramic together?

Try the RTV. It's cheap. Manufacturers use 100% silicone RTV caulk to hold aquariums together! It binds to raw plate glass. Structurally! Why wouldn't it bond to ceramic? Especially the unglazed edge?