Khalil Mamoon Hafa

kram

Style: egyptian styled 30inch. nice weight to it, felt somewhat heavier than standard egyptians. came with a very nice bell glass base tht had stuble etchings on the glass, very classy clear base.

Assembly: standard with any pipe, however it needed some electrical tape to get a good seal on the base.

Quality: very well made, the core seems wider than other egyptians i've seen. vert sturdy. unsure if core is brass or steel. has a golden colour to it but i can't be sure. a problem i encountered was the stem bit which attachs to the base seemed unsized and a big problem was tht some of the pipes one way valve didn't work. so u really need to check them before hand. the blulb at the end does make it slightly louder. this is the only pipe i've smoked tht allowed all the smoke to be purged from the base, and in one suck fill it up thick as well.

Appearance: very traditional, if ur in a mood for a traditional looking pipe this is the one for u. i would have loved a clear teardrop base but they ran out.

Smoke: excellant! i must say this is the best pipe i've had, well besides my first syrian hehe. smooth as all hell and very sturdy as well.

Final: 9/10 smokes very well and is well made

• 2 weeks later...
Style: Egyptian-typed Stainless Steel core on the stem. The decorated glass vase has the largest opening I have ever seen on a hookah. It is right around the two-inch mark. I am not sure how tall the stem is nor the actual vase, but with the hookah completely assembled with a Tangiers phunnel, it comes to the middle of my abdomen. I’m 5’8”, so, I’d say the hookah is around 4 and a half feet tall.

Stem/Tray: The stem feels very sturdy, but does not seem to have a brass core like others have described the older Khalil Maamoon pipes. The seemingly stainless steel stem has perfect symmetry from whatever form was used to create it. The downstem has a built in diffuser that works very well. The diffuser cannot be taken off, but if one desired, it could easily be cut off without affecting the smoke of the pipe because of how long the downstem actually is. The tray rests in an indentation on the top of the stem but does not stay in place. If hit, it could be knocked sideways which could be cause coals to fall off if coals are laying in the tray when you are setting up and if the tray is knocked. Very functional purge valve that clears the giant vase of smoke on one chamber clear. Valve is adjustable.

Vase: My vase is canary yellow with light silver-gold etches around the bell curve. Yellow perfect lines are painted horizontally around the vase. The vase is extremely study, extremely wide mouthed, and well made. No bubbles, thin glass spots, or imperfections that I could see with the naked eye.

Accessories: Comes with a large Khalil Maamoon hose that needs a little elbow grease to make it worthy of an enjoyable smoke. Electric or Teflon tape must be put on the hose in a few spots to make sure that the mouthpiece stays attached to the hose. I could not find a grommet that would work well with the hose and by Fumare’s recommendation, if you take strips of paper towels and slightly dampen them; they work best with the hose. The pipe also comes with a very comedic set of tongs that I will try and take a picture of. The bowl that came with my pipe had a very unique dark brown colour to it. When I held it up to the light, it actually had a few very dark green swirls through it as if someone had used the same paintbrush to paint both colours without washing the brush very well. It actually adds a lot of charm to the bowl. The grommets are the same thin white-opaque grommets most hookahs come with. The downstem grommet is a very thick black grommet. Yellow vase protector is very nice and matches the vase. This hookah also came with two different sets of brushes that are huge… which makes cleaning the pipe a breeze.

Over All Impressions and Final Thoughts:

This is an amazing traditional pipe that I don’t think I will ever take out of the house because of how cumbersome it is. It is just as functional as it is beautiful (very) and my friends love how it hits compared to my other pipes. You can sip on it with ease or take powerhits till you pass out and the smoke is always cool. I highly recommend placing this on a firm ground, rather than carpeted floor. The hose I live in has a slight lean to it because I’m poor and I live on a hill and this giant pipe could be knocked over in my room. If I place this on the wooden table top that I have in some of my hookah pictures, it is fairly sturdy. Such modern quality of the hookah makes it the best “traditional” pipe I have used to date.
Rating: 8.8/10

Pros:
- Amazing Look and Craftsmanship. Attention to detail can be seen in the hookah’s individual parts.
- Hits like Hank Aaron
- Always Cool Smoke

Cons:
- Wobbly from Height on Carpet
- The slight work necessary for the hookah/hose may cause noobs to cry like nursing babies.

• 1 month later...
Hey KM owners! I just got the KM Hafa from Hookah Company, and it looks really nice. It is flippin' HUGE. I'll post a full review after I smoke it tonight.

My only concern right now is that the stem is LOADED with black crap. I had to scrub the shit out of it to get a clear stream of water to pass through. Same with the hose stem. I guess it kind of looks like tarnish, but goddamn was there a lot of it. Did this happen to anyone else?

Well, you all have done a really fine job covering all of the bases on these hookahs. I'm just going to go through and post any additional thoughts I have on my new machine.

Style: I really like the stem on this thing. The vase is really just a plain old vase. Pretty, but nothing out of the ordinary. Interestingly, it had the word "Amer" stamped/painted near the bottom. I ordered the Hafa, and I got the Hafa as far as the stem is concerned (very tall), but maybe the vases are shared. Anyway, the stem has all kinds of little engravings here and there that make it very unique, in my opinion. If you look underneath where the downstem comes out, the metal is gold colored, with some Arabic stamped into it, along with "K.M." in large letters. I think I like it so much because its style is really kind of understated (as opposed to, say, Myas, where the styling can be overdone).

Stem: Aside from the looks, I do have the concern mentioned above about the black crud in the stem. I think I have scrubbed it out pretty well, and I didn't notice any funny taste when I smoked it, but we'll see over the next few weeks if it comes back (really bad tarnish), or stays away. I really hope all is well, because otherwise it is in fine shape.

Le Hose: The hose that comes with this machine is different from that of the Amer. To be perfectly honest, I'm not thrilled with it at all. The draw is FANTASTIC. I mean, hardly any resistance at all, and feels very natural to smoke. BUT, the build quality is sub-par. The wrapping around the coil is VERY thin. Particularly troublesome is the silver wrapping which goes the length of the coil. It basically looks like very thin aluminum foil, and I'm pretty sure there is not much underneath it keeping the airflow in. I can see bending the thing just a little too far, or a little too often, and creating tears in the silver very easily. The rest of the wrapping is cloth, so there shouldn't be any problem there. Also, though the hose feels airtight to me, I noticed when I cleared the vase while smoking I would get little wisps of smoke coming from where the handle mates with the hose. Not a big deal really, as such a small leak is not going to affect the smoke (I know some of you airtight freaks are going to cringe at that), but still. I'm a little bummed because this hose does perform very well. If the construction were a little better, it would be the only hose I would use, I think. But because of the faults in its build, I'm going to enjoy it while I can and then get another one, probably like what the Amer comes with.

Like I said, the rest of you did a great job on pointing out the KMs strenghts and weakness. Aside from the hose, and the black poo I had to clean out, I am thrilled with this new addition to my harem. I can honestly say I have never had a smoke as smooth, cool, and pleasurable as I did last night with this hookah. I'm normally a 45 minutes to 1 hour smoker, but when that first coal breathed its last, I actually thought "no!", so I went out an lit up another.

As a side note, I have contacted Hookah Company regarding the black stuff in the stem. I have not heard back yet, but when (if) I do, I'll post an update if they give me any relevant information.

Pros:
-What they said
-Super cool stem
-Remarkable smoking experience

(My) Cons:
-Poo in the stem
-Poorly constructed hose

EDIT: Ok, HC has gotten back to me finally. They never received my contacts, so that's why it took so long for me to post an update. They told me that they had not seen the black gunk I had on my stem on any of their other KM hookahs. As I have done a pretty good job of cleaning it out, I'm just going to keep it, but they told me if it ever happened again they would replace the stem for me. I also told them about the hose, and they are going to send me a replacement. I mentioned that I would prefer, if possible, to upgrade to the KM hose that comes with the Amer, and that I'd be more than willing to pay for it. Haven't heard back yet on that one. The hose mentioned in the review above has sprung even more leaks, and though it still smokes ok, I think I'm going to be -1 in the hose department with any regular use. We'll see how it goes. Edited by ghostofdavid

• 1 month later...
WARNING ABOUT THE "HAFA!"

First of all, I want you to know that I am a seasoned hookah smoker.

I bought this hookah from Hookahcompany, I got a terrible product.

The stem was filled with some kind of lubricant or tarnish, when i cleaned it out brown sludge came out.

The hose is a piece of crap, was filled with black particles and wasnt airtight. HORRIBLE!

On the outer part of the hookah, there are visible weld marks, how the hell did this thing pass quality assurance?

On the down stem there was a thin piece of metal sticking out which cut my finger pretty deep when I was trying to cover the downstem to even see if this piece of shit is airtight. It fucking hurt.

I want to warn you all, I have read great reviews about Khalil Mamoun hookahs, but be careful and make sure to look over your hookah. It may be very dangerous if you are not careful handling it!

I smoked out of it twice and i've been throwing up all night and have had diarhea.

I sent them an e-mail about tihs, I will let you guys know how it goes.

BUYER BEWARE!

• 3 weeks later...
Khalil Mamoun Hafa:

Base: It stands pretty well. I don't know if the base is hand-blown or not, but it doesn't rock much if at all, which is really good because of the height. Full-size ice cubes fit easily in the mammoth base, but since it's so huge, I don't know how to go about fully cleaning it other than dumping rock salt and a little water in the base and shaking it like crazy.
Transportation: Transporting it is a PAIN, but you could probably get away with putting the vase and your accessories in a backpack while carrying the stem in your hand.
Grommets: It hits WONDERFULLY, but you'd probably want to get some different grommets for everything as the ones that come with it are rather thin.
Tray: The tray doesn't snap on, rather it sits in a decorated dish. It moves around a little, but only about 1/2" if that.
Goo: There have been complaints about black gunk in the stem (appears to be an oil with a black dust in it, which I believe is to help the brass core from corroding before it's sold)... Yeah, mine had it too, so I had to sit it in the bathtub scrubbing it out. It was in the hose port as well as I got some on my finger, and oddly enough dish soap doesn't help take it off. Your best bet is to use lukewarm/hot as you can handle water and scrub like crazy with the super-long brush that comes with it, if you've got some of that 420 cleaner it might work as well, but I haven't tried it.
Modding: I really doubt it can be modified into a two hoser, but then again I haven't tried. You could always call up hookahcompany and ask if their hose mod fits it.
Stem: This thing has some decent heft to it. I wouldn't feel safe say... hitting someone over the head with it, but it doesn't seem like it will fall apart if you treat it with respect. No welding spots as far as I can tell *goes off to look to make sure* Nope, it's all pretty good. Maybe a little loose solder material around the base of the hose port, but it's really not noticable. There were no loose pieces hanging off the bottom or top of the stem of mine. Actually, there weren't even any gaps between the decorative part and the actual core. I'm impressed.
Hose: I am most likely going to replace the hose that came with it. The detachable acrylic mouthpiece is a nice touch, looks really cool, but the rest isn't put together very well and may end up coming apart eventually.

All in all I'm quite happy with this purchase. 9.5/10

• 1 month later...
I bought one of these Khalil Maamon Haflas from a local retailer about a week ago. Mine is not standard, but I will give the review as best I may

Style: Standard Eygptian style, with the mya bowl on it it comes to 30 inches tall

Stem/Tray: TMy stem is very sturdy, and does not seem to have the faults that some have mentioned on this forum. The retailer said that it was brass core, I don't know enough anout that, but the base of the stem is certainly brass. The stem is simple and I think very classy while still apearing very traditional, this is a definite plus in my book. The stem is wide and it draws very easily and nicely. As has been mentioned before, the tray does NOT lock into place. I find that a little annoying, but not enough that it alters my opinion of this fine hookah. The tray is deeper than that on my other hookahs. The tray rests on an ornately engraved tray. That also has caused me some annoyance. I have a couple of times now started smoking the pipe with the tray off! I did not have any of the "black goo" problems that others on this list have mentioned, but then my retailer had set this hookah up and may have already removed it.

Vase: My vase is a frosted egyptian bell with gold rings and a blue flowery emblem. Exactly the same as in the Hookah COmpany photo. I could have done without the emblem, but otherwise the vase is very nice. Ity is very heavy and sturdy. The mouth easily accepts ice cubes.

Accessories: This is where my experience is going to vary. Mine DID come with the usual coal tongs. I like them. They grip far better than the other pair I own, which I shall never use again. I did not get the fancy hose that seems to usually come with this beast. From what I read here, that might be fortunate, and perhaps that is why the retailer replaced it. It came instead with a mya washable. I have only used that hose with the pipe once. Usually I use a more traditional fancy egyptian hose I bought in Israel. My bowl had also been replaced with a mya bowl. Apparently when sent to the store, the entire shipment was sent without grommets, so I can't speak to those either. My bowl and hose grommets are blue and seem to be a far betterquality than what I am used to. The base grommet is a my type. This did start to give me some trouble. Today I added to more mya shims and it is performing beautifully.

Over All Impressions and Final Thoughts:

I am very pleased with this hookah, its overall smoking ease, its beauty and its heft.

Pros:
- Beautiful well made traditional hookah
- draws very well
- nice wieght, not likely to tip easily

Cons:
- odd tray design

• 2 months later...
hi there from germany,

i've got the Khalil Mamoun from a local store here in Berlin, payed 'bout 160$

it's the best pipe i've ever smoked so far, no Mya, Bohemian etc. can reach this high level of perfect hookah design. If you smoke with a huge bowl, the hit is like you're just breathin' without any strength. Beside that point, im in love with the tri-metal mamoon biggrin.gif

Video Review:
http://www.youtube.com/v/8wi4uSSwNpE

Very nice hookah. Hits good, as you could see in the video. Its also pretty easy to clean. The downsteam doesnt detach, as far as I can tell, from the rest of the hookah, so its hard to fit in the sink depending on how deep your sink is, but its no biggy.

I got the hookah from jandrhookahs.com for $25 plus shipping, which is an amazing deal. It was on sale with %44 off, and he still sent me the tongs, coals, extra shisha, and a hose. Jimmy from jandrhookahs.com is with you the whole process of buying, shipping, and etc. Emails were exhanged daily from him and myself. Nice guy, and packs his hookahs to make sure they are safe during shipping. The medium funnel I ordered must have been wrapped 8 or 9 times with bubble wrap to ensure it doesn't break.

All in all, I give the hookah a 9/10. It would have a 10/10, but because its an egyption the hose port sticks up and out a little too much for my liking. As you see in the video, I use a long, long hose, and it puts alot of extra weight onto the hookah that its not built for, and its fallen over 3 or 4 times because of the weight of the hose. Using an actual hookah hose elimanates this problem, and so does making sure the hose is supported or keeping the hookah on the ground, but I just have to keep an eye on it when I use my monster of a hose. wink.gif