Hookah Filter

SafeSearchOff

So I was thinking about extending my life expectancy a little, er, try not to shorten it TOO much.   I know water is a filter, but what about further filtration? There are already external filters on the market, I know, but I was thinking about home-brewing my own. so, a few basic questions before I attempt this.

a) anyone know if filtering like this would cut down on flavor? if so, screw it, I'll take the shorter life

b ) good amterials for filtering? I was thinking of using cotton balls or something breathable like that.

I would immediately think that any extra filtration past the water, would reduce the flavor. Consider that smoke is unburnt particles infused with the shisha flavoring...the water catches any big particles and cools the rest. If you were to continue filtering smaller and smaller particles, you'd just be sucking cleaner air. Not to mention the harder pull.
That being said, I would try the cotton balls for kicks and giggles. See if the taste is affected, and if the cotton is discolored at the end of the session, you know it's doing it's job.

H-S has filters, i tried one and they dont cut out the flavor too much, maybe ask them about the design.

they've got little capsules inside with like a vented filter, i've used one before.

That being said, I would try the cotton balls for kicks and giggles. See if the taste is affected, and if the cotton is discolored at the end of the session, you know it's doing it's job.

lets get the dude who smoked a cotton ball up in here, see waht he has to say... oh wait, thats not pertinent... >.<

Yeah I would imagine it cuts down on flavor =/

okay, what about if it water filters twice? anyone think this would effect taste? it would definately affect draw, but in terms of taste? anyone?

since i'm not sold that the water does all that much filtration(yes, i do know that it does filter some of the nicotine, as it's water soluble, and does catch some flakes and chunks of stuff, but any other chemicals, i'm not so sure), i'm not sold that a second chamber would do much. you could put a bunch of ice in it and get it colder, but apart from that? your call...

warmer water would be the trick, i believe. warmer water dissolves solute's more easily when solid, and i think i remember eric and mush saying that the nic and tar are solid matter in the gas itself,

making it colder makes more gas soluble, but i think the nic is still in solid form.

QUOTE (SafeSearchOff @ Aug 14 2007, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
warmer water would be the trick, i believe. warmer water dissolves solute's more easily when solid, and i think i remember eric and mush saying that the nic and tar are solidA matter in the gas itself,

making it colder makes more gas soluble, but i think the nic is still in solid form.

I think cold water is actually better. As I have been told by a couple of my dad's friends who happen to be doctors, they all say that the cooler the smoke is the less the harmful effects of the tobacco.
Also, a longer hose helps cool down the smoke before it reaches you so the effects are slightly lessened. A long time ago when smoking shisha was a tradition in India people sometimes had really long hoses, which once again I am told, the reason for this was to cool the smoke...
I really couldn't find anything scientfic to prove this but just going by what a couple of docs said... and I don't know if this has anything to do with this but if you put ice in your base the smoke is smoother...

Cold water is good because its denser
Denser Liquid can filter smaller particle. You do not need ot be a genious to think of that.

QUOTE (SafeSearchOff @ Aug 17 2007, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dude, no offence, but chem 101 is

warmer fluid - more solute. colder fluid - less solute.
making water cold doesn't make it more dense until its frozen.

actually, water becomes more dense when cooled, until about 4 C, then it becomes less dense again. thats why water freezes from top to bottom and ice floats

QUOTE (davab0202 @ Aug 19 2007, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (nicayotte @ Aug 19 2007, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL whats next, vodka that you can enjoy without getting drunk/hangover lol

actually skyy vodka claims that its product is so pure it won't cause a hangover. but i strongly disagree. sad.gif

Nothing like experience to claim otherwize.

hey all, this is my first post here, i just joined, but in response to the question on this thread, in my opinion, adding another base to filter through would just be a waste of water, and is not an elegant solution (im an engineering major haha). I think the answer is to make your own hookah, which is what I did, and instead of having one big pipe coming down into the base, I had a capped pipe coming down and then drilled many small holes so I had the same easy pull, but now i had many smaller bubbles of smoke flowing through the water instead of the few big bubbles. that means more surface area of smoke is touching the water, and you gte more filtration, and colder smoke. if you dont wanna make your own whole hookah, maybe just make an adapter?

great site everyone!

QUOTE (Ayrity @ Aug 23 2007, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey all, this is my first post here, i just joined, but in response to the question on this thread, in my opinion, adding another base to filter through would just be a waste of water, and is not an elegant solution (im an engineering major haha). I think the answer is to make your own hookah, which is what I did, and instead of having one big pipe coming down into the base, I had a capped pipe coming down and then drilled many small holes so I had the same easy pull, but now i had many smaller bubbles of smoke flowing through the water instead of the few big bubbles. that means more surface area of smoke is touching the water, and you gte more filtration, and colder smoke. if you dont wanna make your own whole hookah, maybe just make an adapter?

great site everyone!

Welcome to the forums, as for your post i have done the same to my hand held hookah after not being able to add straws to it, this works pretty well, the easiest way i found was using a drill press to make these right into the stem