New Coal Set Up

waffle

Well this is new to me but it may not be new to some. I found this on youtube.com.

Its a new way to set up your coals.
<First pack a bowl of shisha in whatever way you prefer, use tin foil with small holes punched in it as usual.
<Then take more tinfoil (a large rectangle about 8-10 inches long by 4-5 inches wide) fold the tin foil over many times until you have a thick strip about 1/2 an inch wide and about 4-5 inches long.
<With this strip form a circle like a braclet or large ring...be sure the diameter is not larger than the bowl but just under so it will fit on top of the first foil screen. Set the foil ring ontop of the first screen.
<Finally using one more square of foil wrap another screen on top of the ring. Be sure that this final screen wraps well around the bowl as well. Poke slightly larger holes in this top screen. This is where your coals will rest.

This technique seems to create a small gap of hot air between coals and shisha. Very smooth hit and really maximizes the length of the session. No more crispy burnt tasting shisha. You can also pack larger bowls because of the gap between heat and tobacco. The only draw back is that you will use more foil and may also use a half more insta lite coal. Its well worth it though... I credit the guys from hookah-chill.com with this tech. Peace -Waffle

QUOTE (MERCHANT @ Jul 25 2007, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
too much foil.... too much time i havent burned a bowl in a long time its about mangement

Yeah same , it means more than just a little effort its alot of effort......and time wasting as you say...

But I suppose one haas to try everything once and one I have time I will give it a go...thanks for the info!

-H&S

You can do the same thing, by using a deeper bowl. Just put a lot less molasses in it. All you really need is space between the molasses and coals, right? Edited by olooko

QUOTE (olooko @ Jul 25 2007, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can do the same thing, by using a deeper bowl. Just put a lot less molasses in it. All you really need is space between the molasses and coals, right?

Totally. I never burn through the AF in my bowl, so I just started underpacking...and it doesn't burn. I'm even going through 3 sets of coals now.

as i said before, i manage my coals pritty well. i take pride in this. i do not burn bowl period, and if i did, i would be pritty bad at the job i am being payed for.

now, i tried this today, and it worked extreamly well. i never had to move the coal. and intentonaly had the coal as hot as i could. i sat down with on standered medium sized bowl for two hours, and i only quit because i was tired of smoking and wanted to do some thing else. there was still more to go and flavorful. by managing the coals, this takes a little work, and if you are smoking with friends who don't smoke hookah often, you wont get the "it is harsh, why did you not tell me" moment. sure, it uses some extra foil, and it it more work at the front, but it takes alot more wok out in the long run.

another pluse is the bowl does not get as hot, wich means better clraning and handling at the back end.

i am very happy with this

QUOTE (waffle @ Jul 24 2007, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well this is new to me but it may not be new to some. I found this on youtube.com.

Its a new way to set up your coals.
<First pack a bowl of shisha in whatever way you prefer, use tin foil with small holes punched in it as usual.
<Then take more tinfoil (a large rectangle about 8-10 inches long by 4-5 inches wide) fold the tin foil over many times until you have a thick strip about 1/2 an inch wide and about 4-5 inches long.
<With this strip form a circle like a braclet or large ring...be sure the diameter is not larger than the bowl but just under so it will fit on top of the first foil screen. Set the foil ring ontop of the first screen.
<Finally using one more square of foil wrap another screen on top of the ring. Be sure that this final screen wraps well around the bowl as well. Poke slightly larger holes in this top screen. This is where your coals will rest.

This technique seems to create a small gap of hot air between coals and shisha. Very smooth hit and really maximizes the length of the session. No more crispy burnt tasting shisha. You can also pack larger bowls because of the gap between heat and tobacco. The only draw back is that you will use more foil and may also use a half more insta lite coal. Its well worth it though... I credit the guys from hookah-chill.com with this tech. Peace -Waffle

Nice tip.
I tried it out with my crappy rolland charcoals on my 32" egyption. Hardly any smoke or flavor pulled through and I could only fit 1.5 charcoals on top. So in mid smoke I put the charcoals in the ashtray, and carefully pulled off the top layer and the ring. The smoke got thicker but my hookah is still being stupid so it tasted like butt.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (olooko @ Jul 26 2007, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can do the same thing, by using a deeper bowl. Just put a lot less molasses in it.
All you really need is space between the molasses and coals, right?

YEP!!
I myself use the handmade brown Egyptian bowl.
I got it at a middle eastern grocery and got to have my pick, and I chose the deepest one that doesn't have messed up holes.
Lots of manufactured bowls are very shallow!
Fill it half way up to allow for hot air circulation and even distribution.

However I will say that collar idea seems a very good one!

BTW there are foils made especially for the hookah.
They're thinner and they don't have the impurities that household foil has.
When you take a circle out of the package, rub it between your fingers and separate the TWO sheets!
I use those or a metal screen.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (RayVer @ Oct 30 2007, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where did you find that bowl? Never seen anything like that

QUOTE (1siklebo @ Oct 25 2007, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i was thinkn of buying this funnel and instead of foil used this wire gauze do u think it would be better or should i use foil then a layer of wire gauze

its not a hookah bowl its a science chemistry bowl its called a

<h1 class="itemTitle">Buchner Funnel</h1>

• 1 month later...
The coal is called "Cococha", I think it is the most used natural coal in Germany.

It is made from coconut shell. The guy in the movie used one whole, it's too much, most people broke it in 2 or more pieces.

Regards

El Vis Edited by El Vis