Floating Coal

nicayotte

Well i am trying to make another item for my bowl and possible other people too, this design came to me while i was laying in bed and sound really good so heres my idea.....

Sort of a clamp system that keeps the coal so close to the shisha so it doesn't burn, i have no idea how well this will work but it sounded good at the time.....

I think its a nice idea although getting that middle peg/post to sit well in all bowls will be really hard and it will want to rock in any direction. The other thing is I think the coal has to be within 1/4" of the tobacco to even work properly. If the idea worked correctly you could be eliminating some dangers from coal inehelation (i think thats how its spelled) etc.

The other thing is how in the heck would you take in on and off? once that peg/arm is in the bowl the side clamps would permeantly lock that sucker in and never come out wink.gif

Maybe something that would attach to the stem post or tray that would hover like a flying saucer? basically take the OLD coal metal screen with the legs and make the legs way long to bend down to the tray!?..

Although, it all comes back to coal placement and how close they have to be to the bowl....?

I thought his idea was a FLOATING screen No? the typical screens actually lie on the bowl. His diagram and explanation is for a hovering/floating screen ABOVE the bowl...am i missing something here? huh.gif

you maybe right though and YES, they do already make this screen:)...i might have seen this diagram differently because I was assuming he knew this idea was already made and he said "to keep the tobacco from burning"..soo a hovering screen is what i was imagining smile.gif

He also says "Floating Coal" in the topic...SHOOT, i may have come up with an idea for him to elaborate on and use! Edited by frankenstein_666

If it was floating above the shisha, I don't see how it would benefit based on your diagram. What I mean is this. Your diagram showed a screen with 4 arms and a peg in the middle to make it float. The problem with this is, that you will have a gap between the bowl and the screen. This is a problem because you will have open uncontrolled airflow. Too much air will change the burn quality, characteristics and taste of the shisha. Maybe if you had a floating screen that could seal all the way around the lip of the bowl, but I don't know how you would do that without making a custom ledge on a bowl or something. what is your goal, to allow yourself to fill the shisha to the top of the bowl without worrying about it burning or what?

QUOTE (nicayotte @ Jul 7 2007, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea but i see waht you are saying so it wil not work, thanks anywho

Yeah if you do manage to do a "hovering" coal then it will let to much air in through the gap between the coal and bowl.....and if it is touching the bowl all around(airtight basically)then it is a coal sreen which has already been made....sorry...

-H&S

I made a very large bowl a wile back (this thing can hold at least a cup of shisha). It's now the party bowl, or when we want to smoke the same flavor for a two hour movie and not change the coals.

But I have loaded it without filling it; when I put the foil on, I can only come so close to the shisha before I begin to pack it and then when I try to seal the sides, I end up pulling the foil higher. The end result is a sealed bowl with coals floating over the shisha and over the only air holes. It works very nice.

When the bowl's about half done, the top of the shisha will be hard, dry, and black, almost like a "natural" shisha screen.

I don't know if this will help you any, but that's my two bits.

Well, I think the coals(regular setup) heat the bowl also, and the bowl helps heat the moassel.

The screen needs to be attached to the bowl, airtight with the exceptions of the holes so you can draw heat from the coals. It would probably be easier if this was a two piece bowl, where you take the cover off and fill the bowl, put the cover back on.

Two advantages here is that it is virtually unburnable(since the coals are never in contact with the moassel), and there is no aluminum foil to mess around with. It'll last a long time if you made a stainless steel one. Edited by anathema

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...