3D Printing Thread

I am opening this thread to discuss 3d printing… If you have not watched the Vice Video on youtube featuring Cody Wilson the man behind the printed AR-15 please spend the 25 minutes and watch this video. It will hit you with the fact you can print a gun in your home. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA

I own my own business where I own 28 3d printers including 10 makerbot duplicator 2x's, 8 makerbot duplicator Z18's, 2 makerbot 3d scanners, 6 makerbot duplicator 2's, a cube, objet alaris, and two non branded home made models with a very large build volume. I build everything from phone cases to aeronautical parts for boeing (currently in the prototyping stage). I just got done with my 4th cad class at UCF and am currently looking to take another. This fascinates me so much and I am wondering if theres anyone else who this fascinates… Sharrp Sybian I know this fascinates you so please start us off!

Where Do i begin? What is the best 3d printer to start off with? Also how did you get a contract with Boeing? I Wish i had those kind of marketing skills! If i had the finances to get into this type of business i'd ask you billions of ?'s related to this. Also Can you print PVC plastic for heavy duty white water inflatable rafts? The possibilities here are truly endless. So many diff businesses can be ventured into. 

Where Do i begin? What is the best 3d printer to start off with? Also how did you get a contract with Boeing? I Wish i had those kind of marketing skills! If i had the finances to get into this type of business i'd ask you billions of ?'s related to this. Also Can you print PVC plastic for heavy duty white water inflatable rafts? The possibilities here are truly endless. So many diff businesses can be ventured into. 

Makerbot by far… I recommend them because their cheap along with great quality. They just came out with a makerbot mini that is going to be around 1300. Now if you want to cut down on quality then a cube will work just great. I would not recommend these printers on ebay that are home built or low quality because they tend to break easily and not really recommended for new users. Cube and Makerbot would be the best. 

You can't print PVC but there are strong plastics out there like PLA that would be good to use depending on what you are using it for. I made a rod rack from my printer a year or two ago to fit my boat exactly along as a few upgrades for my gps, fish finder, etc… 

I wouldn't say I'm fascinated by 3D printing, but I'm interested in it.  I have a ME degree and 3D printing was just starting to be recognized as a viable tool when I was finishing school.  I did a little 3D printing my senior year so I under stand some of the capabilities and draw backs.

We were printing with hardening fluid sprayed on top of layers of powder resin.  So the stuff we printed wasn't good for much other than to look at.

I am interested to see how 3D printing has developed since I left school and also interested to see what kind of products can be done with modern manufacturing as opposed to casting brass and hand working the metal.

BTW, I used to work with a guy who graduated from UCF.  

Ive got a friend who is a huge hookah smoker and also has the education and practical experience from university with 3D printing who is looking to get into it professionally, Ill see if I cant get him to join up on HF finally now that he has 2 things that he loves to talk about here :D as for my knowledge of 3D printers... theyre awesome :P

I think they are cool and I would love to be able to 3d print stuff, but my problem is really that I have no idea what to print. I don't know what use I would have for it. They are cool as hell, though.

Thingiverse.com check that out… Over well I think over 30,000 different objects to print. One of the first projects I did was printing a AR-15 Lower just to show the point that people can print a gun. The second project I did was the Liberator which is a pistol that shoots a 22 short and I actually shot that in my back yard until it broke 6 shots later. My biggest product is a 3d printed iPhone 5 case that has movable gears. I don't have pictures on my home computer but I know a few video's out on youtube that are the same as my product. I just got the cad files to print some prototypes up with boeing. A few people asked me how I got so many contacts. I have a financial advisor here local who got me my contacts. Boeing was easy because they are in the process of taking over Kennedy Space Center and a few people at nasa who I know personally mentioned my name and it went up and up and up in ranks. I also was brought in to nasa's 3d printing department to look into buying a few of their machines but they were way to high tech and way to expensive for me. Coming in at 35k each unit was way to impossible for me. 

My phone cases are bigger with a (non 3d printed) rubber encasing that actually protects your phone. This is a rough description of my product but the same concept. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67cev_zcXJw

Edited by Addison Roberts