3D Printing Hookah And Hookah Parts

Okay so I am new to this forum and a few others may notice that I have asked this same question on some others forums. I own a company called A&A Supplementary Supply where I manufacture 3d printed products. I would love to get some idea's from you guys on 3d printed hookah products. I am not a vendor nor am I currently looking to sell these at the moment. I am just looking for idea's. I have a cad file made up with a completely 3d printed hookah with a solid brass pipe that acts as an inside so it's life span is longer. I also have some idea's of personalized hookahs that I can customize to a consumers liking. I have some hose tips for a Kahlil Mamoon hose tip design and a hookah (AMY) in cad. Any other idea's? 

I basically based it off of a amy hookah. I 3d scanned it and used that to make my designs and what not. I went with a more oval like design that way it is easier to print. I am waiting for AMY to contact me back to see if we can work up some prototypes. 

Edited by Addison Roberts

maybe if u dont sell any of the prototypes they might let u :p that would be dam cool...what kinda 3d products has ur company made?

I have some vague conceptual ideas. Mainly for connections and (maybe) improving auto-seal.

What kind of tolerances can you hold? What materials are you printing?

Do a hose holder.

maybe if u dont sell any of the prototypes they might let u :P that would be dam cool...what kinda 3d products has ur company made?

I am using two separate machines to print Makerbot Replicator 2x and Makerbot Replicator Z18. I am looking to use PLA since I can print really fine details. The melting temp is around 150~160 Degrees C (300~320 degrees F). 

I manufacture phone cases with movable parts, regular phone cases for various phones, aftermarket Go-Pro pieces, I just signed a contract to print 5000 action figures of a music artist, I print Star War's suits because I pay about 50.00 in material and make about 550.00 profit in each set I make (I am not a star wars geek. Please note that I am making this clear haha). I have a contract coming up for aeronautical pieces for Boeing which comes into affect in march. I sell my products like iPhone cases to electronic depots or places like marshals or tj max here in the states. I have over 200 different products I make weekly.  

Good to finally see you here my friend! You will deff fit in well here that's for sure! Now If you can 3d print a Boho Styel base and make a few last minute design changes That would deff turn heads. imagine a plastic/ acrylic boho! No it won't be as awesome as the real thing but it will be over 10 times cheaper and cost pennies to make! 

Okay so I am new to this forum and a few others may notice that I have asked this same question on some others forums. I own a company called A&A Supplementary Supply where I manufacture 3d printed products. I would love to get some idea's from you guys on 3d printed hookah products. I am not a vendor nor am I currently looking to sell these at the moment. I am just looking for idea's. I have a cad file made up with a completely 3d printed hookah with a solid brass pipe that acts as an inside so it's life span is longer. I also have some idea's of personalized hookahs that I can customize to a consumers liking. I have some hose tips for a Kahlil Mamoon hose tip design and a hookah (AMY) in cad. Any other idea's? 

Aren't 3D printers used mainly for prototyping? Doesn't it get really expensive (and slow) if you are using it to mass produce? 

With that said, I'd love to link up with you though. I have been thinking about producing our own line of modern hookahs (none of those glass ones that you see popping up everywhere). Where are you located? 

Uh, yeah, print up some bases man!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly what I was thinking! Ones that won't break so easily if you accidentally drop em (I've lost 2 that way...been much more careful lol).

I have some vague conceptual ideas. Mainly for connections and (maybe) improving auto-seal.

What kind of tolerances can you hold? What materials are you printing?

Do a hose holder.

maybe if u dont sell any of the prototypes they might let u :P that would be dam cool...what kinda 3d products has ur company made?

I am using two separate machines to print Makerbot Replicator 2x and Makerbot Replicator Z18. I am looking to use PLA since I can print really fine details. The melting temp is around 150~160 Degrees C (300~320 degrees F). 

I manufacture phone cases with movable parts, regular phone cases for various phones, aftermarket Go-Pro pieces, I just signed a contract to print 5000 action figures of a music artist, I print Star War's suits because I pay about 50.00 in material and make about 550.00 profit in each set I make (I am not a star wars geek. Please note that I am making this clear haha). I have a contract coming up for aeronautical pieces for Boeing which comes into affect in march. I sell my products like iPhone cases to electronic depots or places like marshals or tj max here in the states. I have over 200 different products I make weekly.  

I see.  I think plastics would rule out some of the connectors I was thinking of, but I've been hoping someone would do an auto-seal hose end.  

Like do the end of the hose that connects to hookah the same way the auto seal hose ports are done (cone and ball one way valve).  

That way it could be done less restrictive like with an 8mm or 3/8" ball and a wider opening.  I think Mya auto seals are restricted to 5mm; going up to 7mm (for an 8mm ball) would just about double the flow area and 8mm (for a 9.5mm or 3/8" ball) would give 2.5X the flow area.

And it would give an option to use multi hose KMs with auto seal.

Although, the hose port angle of KMs might make the design difficult.

Here's what I mean about the hose holder:

2011-04-21_17-52-27_779.jpg

Aren't 3D printers used mainly for prototyping? Doesn't it get really expensive (and slow) if you are using it to mass produce? 

With that said, I'd love to link up with you though. I have been thinking about producing our own line of modern hookahs (none of those glass ones that you see popping up everywhere). Where are you located? 

With 3D printing, you can do some designs/shapes which would be difficult or impossible to do with standard machining and/or  molding.

Uh, yeah, print up some bases man!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bases would be cool.  How translucent is Natural Filament?  Could you see the water level through a reasonably PLA thick base? Could you see the smoke?

Can you do color changes? Like red base with some natural windows to see the water level and smoke?

Some more questions/ideas:

PLA is made from corn starch and sugar cane.  How waterproof is it?  Will it break down over time if I have a habit of leaving water in it?

An inline hookah would be cool.

How big of a part can you print?  A base holder or stabilizer would be cool, but it would have to cover a decent amount of area... maybe.  Check out hookah homes but since you don't have to do all the parts flat, I think that sort of product could be done much better.

How expensive would these types of things be?  Like a regular base or KM hose tip?

3d Printing is mostly used for prototyping but if you have over 20 machines i can print 20 phone cases in 2 hours work. Thats 600.00 minus the say 20.00 in materials used. I mass produce with my smaller machines and prototype with my larger Z18 models that to the public have yet to come out. I am trying to build something along the lines of the xyz axes of a 12x12x18" area. I have larger machines that I can use with a xyz axes of 24x24x72 so those are my restrictions on size. Heat is a big concept here. If it gets to hot say 250 degrees the plastic may deform and melt. I can use PLA all the way to the gromment without any problems since the bottom of the bowl only gets upwards of 200 degree's. I measured the temp with my buddys hookah's with a digital thermometer. Good idea's! Keep them coming!

3d Printing is mostly used for prototyping but if you have over 20 machines i can print 20 phone cases in 2 hours work. Thats 600.00 minus the say 20.00 in materials used. I mass produce with my smaller machines and prototype with my larger Z18 models that to the public have yet to come out. I am trying to build something along the lines of the xyz axes of a 12x12x18" area. I have larger machines that I can use with a xyz axes of 24x24x72 so those are my restrictions on size. Heat is a big concept here. If it gets to hot say 250 degrees the plastic may deform and melt. I can use PLA all the way to the gromment without any problems since the bottom of the bowl only gets upwards of 200 degree's. I measured the temp with my buddys hookah's with a digital thermometer. Good idea's! Keep them coming!

So apparently I don't have permission to edit the above but here is my edit…

3d Printing is mostly used for prototyping but if you have over 20 machines i can print 20 phone cases in 2 hours work. Thats 600.00 minus the say 20.00 in materials used. I mass produce with my smaller machines and prototype with my larger Z18 models that to the public have yet to come out. I am trying to build something along the lines of the xyz axes of a 12x12x18" area. I have larger machines that I can use with a xyz axes of 24x24x72 so those are my restrictions on size. Heat is a big concept here. If it gets to hot say 250 degrees the plastic may deform and melt. I can use PLA all the way to the gromment without any problems since the bottom of the bowl only gets upwards of 200 degree's. I measured the temp with my buddys hookah's with a digital thermometer. Good idea's! I just can't make a bowl or tray out of it. Again more restrictions. I would love to make vases that don't break. Though I would have to make them thicker walls than normal hookahs. Anyone think this would be a problem? Right now I am at about 1mm thickness on my cad file. Great idea's please keep them coming!

Nothing is to thick. I can do some prototype's when I get to my printing stages. Currently I am working on my Finances, Net Transport, Initiatives, Safety Email's, Diversity Email's for new upcoming products i.e. The Boeing Project effective of June 3rd, Coordinating an Executive Review for the Better Business Bureau, and Prepping for my travels in March so I am really backed up right and am not too worried about this stuff. I am still looking for idea's cause I have a 14 hour plane flight coming up so that can easily be the whole hookah project in a Cad file! I am looking at having this stuff done in cad by the end of February and hopefully will be printing by March but if not I plan to finish it all during my flight to the UK. 

I knew you could print it thick, I just didn't know if it was over kill.

Few more ideas :

Bowl caddy. Right now I'm using a K-Cup caddy but some of the bowls are too big at the bottom and it's crowded.

Vase drying rack. I use a paper towel holder to hold vases up side down to dry but it's not ideal.

Hose hanging rack. This one might not be worth the trouble because there are so many coat racks and things like that which could be used but just an idea.

I knew you could print it thick, I just didn't know if it was over kill.

Few more ideas :

Bowl caddy. Right now I'm using a K-Cup caddy but some of the bowls are too big at the bottom and it's crowded.

Vase drying rack. I use a paper towel holder to hold vases up side down to dry but it's not ideal.

Hose hanging rack. This one might not be worth the trouble because there are so many coat racks and things like that which could be used but just an idea.

I had an idea to make a little box to hold bowls in but then I just thought why don't I just go buy a small pelican box… I actually recently went to pelican to have them mold a box to fit each of my glass hookah's so they wouldn't break during transport. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hookah-Shisha unveiled a new line of silicone bowls. Can similar phunnel bowls from silicone with higher spires be printed by a 3d printer? What would be the cost of such a venture? 

Out of curiosity, how did you scan an Amy hookah? Last time I scanned I had to paint the item flat black and it still cast out some reflections that took a long time to fix in AutoCAD. It was a bolt and maybe I'm just inexperienced, but I cannot replicate threads to save my life! So many trial-and-error runs on the printer, my professor was pretty pissed at me. 

Why would you scan threads?  It was pretty easy to model them 10 years ago.  I'm sure there's a button you can press now.  Or has AutoCAD progressed past pushing a button?

Or he could have done it with a mechanical scanner. 

Buddy of mine build a 3d digitizer that scans the object with lasers & sensors to scan the object. Its easy to start off in cad a hookah but I wanted a particular design and it took a few hours off. I haven't been working on it I have the boeing part director here and we have been going over designs and prototypes the past few days. Hint: Why I haven't been on so much in the past few days. 

That's awesome! Hope that works out. I wish i had something that can scan anything and make it into CAD I will probably have to write a letter to Eric of Tangiers asking for permission if i can scan and 3d print a silicone prototype of a Tangiers Pico bowl.  lol How do you even build a 3d digitizer :-( I am so far behind in tech lately that it's sad... 

That's awesome! Hope that works out. I wish i had something that can scan anything and make it into CAD I will probably have to write a letter to Eric of Tangiers asking for permission if i can scan and 3d print a silicone prototype of a Tangiers Pico bowl.  lol How do you even build a 3d digitizer :-( I am so far behind in tech lately that it's sad... 

:huh: I'm sure he'll say sure, no problem...

I don't know how to build one lol… My dad has a computer engineer who works for him and we were talking when I was in sydney a few months ago and he was telling me how he built all this stuff and I brought it up as a joke and sure enough he came threw. Did it all for free too minus the parts! Here is the link to the building I am moving too. Its 6,000 more sf and is only 15 minutes away. My dad flew in yesterday to come and look at it and sign papers for it since he will be the main funds for the building until I can get the printers up and running. Boeing gave me a check and said go buy more printers so I am on a mission to buy about 15 more printers by next month so I have paused about half my production to work on that and to get these cad files made up. We set march 20th to start printing however I will only be printing aeronautical parts for Boeing and will be dropping all contracts with the individual companies I have been dealing with.

The building is done its just getting painted now and the price listed is not what I paid haha. http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/Profile.aspx?LID=17954241&SRID=4152203192&StepID=101

That is the building I am signing for just a different listing. He builds them with his design and the original buyer passed away so he is now dumping it.