Shooting In Denver...

At the Dark Night premier tonight in an outskirt of Denver, Co. A viewer stood up and started shooting random people. 14 or so people are dead and 40+ injured (as of 30 minutes ago).

The police have the shooter in custody.

Opinions, thoughts?
any Coloradians here who have insight?

It's a shame that people that wanted to go see a movie have this happen to them, the guy also threw tear gas into the theater then started shooting... It's just sad and feel really bad for all the people that had this happen to them.

Yeah and now they are saying 50+ were injured in this not including those dead, there is some really fucked up people out there to go shoot kids, I hope they kill this guy right away.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1342781804' post='552195']
Holy shit...

And this, people, is why we need the death penalty.
[/quote]

Yes, and a revision of the justice system so rather than housing murderers for years after sentencing, and wasting scarce resources on them, I'm in favor of shooting them outback the courthouse immediately following sentencing.
  • Upvote 1

The death penalty? Scum like this piece of shit doesn't deserve the death penalty.
It's people like this that make me 100% okay to bring back the times of torture.... Seriously, this guy is pathetic to go into a theater of innocent people and kill anyone - much more than that, CHILDREN!
I can't even imagine how devastated I would be if I brought my little boy to the movies to see his favorite super hero movie only to be tear gassed and shot and killed. Edited by bruceg
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='KasbahBazaar' timestamp='1342787475' post='552201']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1342781804' post='552195']
Holy shit...

And this, people, is why we need the death penalty.
[/quote]

Yes, and a revision of the justice system so rather than housing murderers for years after sentencing, and wasting scarce resources on them, I'm in favor of shooting them outback the courthouse immediately following sentencing.
[/quote]

Word. That, or something like this:

[img]http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2007/04/medium_Escape_From_NY_Map.jpg[/img]

If we can't kill 'em, at least throw them all in a place like that and put our tax dollars towards more important things.

In special cases like this one, I think the guy should be kept alive for as long as possible and tortured every day for the rest of his miserable life.

I don't think it is cruel compared to what he did to the victims and their families and if we do this to enough criminals, it won't be unusual.

Punishment for crimes like this should be so severe that the fear of the consequences cut through any derangement in the criminals mind and make him decide to stay at home and bake a cake instead.

My sister and her family live in Aurora. They decided they didn't want to go to the opening night. She called me last night so I'd know she was okay. She said it was chaos, that so many people were injured they couldn't even wait for ambulances. Private citizens and police were transporting people to the hospital themselves. Her husband volunteers with a group that does some kind of community service thing so the group went to help. As of this morning they were still there because the aftermath hasn't settled yet.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1342798063' post='552215']
My sister and her family live in Aurora. They decided they didn't want to go to the opening night. She called me last night so I'd know she was okay. She said it was chaos, that so many people were injured they couldn't even wait for ambulances. Private citizens and police were transporting people to the hospital themselves. Her husband volunteers with a group that does some kind of community service thing so the group went to help. As of this morning they were still there because the aftermath hasn't settled yet.

'Rani
[/quote]
Wow, I'm happy your sister's family decided not to go and that they are safe.
And good for them for giving help at a time like that! Edited by bruceg

My thoughts are this....

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/SA40.jpg[/img]

..This is why I Carry!

Anyone was carrying, those totals would have been much lower.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1342799830' post='552219']
My thoughts are this....

[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/tunes4x/SA40.jpg[/img]

..This is why I Carry!

Anyone was carrying, those totals would have been much lower.
[/quote]
While I think concealed carry is a GREAT thing, I have to disagree about the number of people harmed.
They were gassed and 110% caught off guard. Not like they could have shot back eevn if they were armed.
With that said my 1911 comes everywhere with me. I just don't carry on me cause I haven't gotten my concealed carry license yet. But it's in my truck any time I'm not home.

Didn't see they were gassed. Plus if 50% of people carried. One of them would have got off a clean shot pretty quick.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1342804371' post='552226']
Didn't see they were gassed. Plus if 50% of people carried. One of them would have got off a clean shot pretty quick.
[/quote]

For sure.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1342804371' post='552226']
[/quote]

There's a military base in the vicinity. I don't remember which branch though off the top of my head, but a lot of the theater goers were military. And since the military is exposed to tear gas and trained to function anyway, I would think that had any of the military members been armed there would have been one dead suspect, and fewer wounded.

'Rani

People have just plain lost their damn minds.

We are going to hear the usual talking heads, and a bunch of how he was armed, where he was armed, and on, and on. A few more crazy freaks are going to get a new "hero" and a few ideas of their own. Reactionary legislation, maybe a few political adds over it all... but no one will, at any point, address the realities of a society that drives people to a point of an action like this. We will hear he is a recluse, or loner... just like every other one of the people that go on a mass murder spree. No one in any frame of mind is going to dye their hair red, collect up a bunch of police type armor, arm themselves, then walk into a theater and start murdering people just out of the blue. There is no way you can tell me that people that knew him didn't know something was up.

Just what makes anyone think the death penalty would stop someone bent on their own destruction? How would it stop someone that seemingly can't handle another day of their own life. Sure, it would take them out of society, but as far as deterring the next one, it would do nothing. For that matter, there have been studies that show a guarantee of an execution may actually encourage a group of especially screwed up individuals.

Colorado has had an unusual number of these incidents, it can't be a coincidence.

Armed people in the crowd of victims may have intervened, and stopped allot of the past crazies. This nut was in police armor, including kevlar helmet, gloves leg and groin, and foot armor. Wearing black, in a dark theatre. Even with extensive defensive training, that is a target that is going to be virtually impossible to neutralize with a sidearm... even before the tear gas filled the place. This is a time that a CCW in the crowd is just another victim.

I gotta ask myself why:
1)the local PD didn't have anyone at the midnight opening of such a big movie, in such a big cinema
2)why the back door was accessible from a back parking area with no security whatsoever.
3)how this fucktard knew that door would be open. - most of all this one bothers me.

Everyone has to be aware of all of their friends and acquaintances. Especially those that seem to suddenly drift away, and have very little going their way in life. This guy had friends, and a family, and today they'll all be asking themselves why it happened. Why he would do that. They will all feel guilty in one way or another. More than likely, quite a few of them saw all of the signs, all of the indicators that the shooter was getting ready to do something. if we have learned anything over the last few decades of dealing with these incidents, it should be that they do not occur in a vacuum, and that we all need to watch out for each other, be aware of what's going on around us, and not ignore the indicators that something is just not right. I'm not saying we need to call 911 on every friend/acquaintance we know that owns a firearm... but when you find someone there really presents all of the signs of a mental illness, it is a damn good idea to intervene.

Rani, Glad to hear your family/friends avoided the place.

My prayers go to the injured, and all the victim's families.
  • Upvote 1

I think the death penalty is nice. But instead just drop them in a jungle or desert give them a weeks worth of survival stuff and say "don't die" and they will be so far from civilization they would just die. It's not like anyone would care if they got a proper burial. I wouldn't after something like that.

[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1342812828' post='552236']
I think the death penalty is nice. But instead just drop them in a jungle or desert give them a weeks worth of survival stuff and say "don't die" and they will be so far from civilization they would just die. It's not like anyone would care if they got a proper burial. I wouldn't after something like that.
[/quote]

In addition, I think we should completely and totally block identity of these people. Federal law prohibiting the media from broadcasting anything about them, etc., because a substantial part of what they do is for their 15 minutes of attention. If no one is ever going to know they did it, they're less likely to go down the whole "blaze of glory" road.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1342814208' post='552241']
[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1342812828' post='552236']
[/quote]

In addition, I think we should completely and totally block identity of these people. Federal law prohibiting the media from broadcasting anything about them, etc., because a substantial part of what they do is for their 15 minutes of attention. If no one is ever going to know they did it, they're less likely to go down the whole "blaze of glory" road.

'Rani
[/quote]

oh thats a good idea i agree with that.

Really, even if that's a joke that statement is just stupid. The news are torturing this guys family here in San Diego yes there are helicopters all over the place new vans outside their house. Statements are being said about the school slandering its name and it's fucking stupid. This guy fucked up but he doesn't show that everyone is like this. There are morons and they should be dealt with without media attention rage statement complete
  • Upvote 1