Obama: State Of The Union 2012

Willis

So who all watched the State of the Union last night? I didn't but my dad had the tv in the living room so loud that I could hear it perfectly in my bedroom when I was trying to sleep.

I could also hear his shouts at the end of every sentence President said: Lies! Bullshit! Oh, yeah, take that with a grain of salt.. And the occasional Fuck you.

So now that you know what goes on politically in my house....

What did you think of the speech? What about him wanting to expand U.S. oil drilling? Especially after all of the "green energy" talk he normally does.

He seems to be bringing back SOTU as well. Kids would be forced to stay in high school until 18. No dropouts. If I recall, egghead (I mean president GW Bush) wanted to do the same thing, couldn't get it done, and then pushed through the No Child Left Behind thing.

If you didn't see it, you can read this article.

http://m.mnn.com/earth-matters/politics/blogs/sotu-2012-obama-touts-old-new-energy

Collection of bullshit and talking-head nonsense. Divisionary, and when you look under the BS at what he actually said it's frightening.

stretched facts, used partial facts that would support his stance, ignoring portions that didn't.

bumpersticker-politics... one-liner statements that ignore the rest of the fact/problem/question.

Thin on actual facts or proposed actions-bascially lacked anything of help to any of us in the peanut gallery.

passed out a few "reach-arounds" to people/institutions that were happy to bend over for the last year.

Yep, pretty much like every other state of the union speech ever made, by every other president I can remember.

edit:Man, I can't spell today Edited by TheScotsman

Heh, yes, I have to agree with both of you. If it wasn't for the overly negative media response to the guy who heckled Obama a few years back, he would have gotten a few last night. From what I could tell, lots of fact stretching happened last night.

The State of the Union doesn't deliver any factual information. Just because it's required by our by-laws doesn't mean they have to actually tell us anything. It's all "look what I've done for you and what I'm going to do this upcoming year." Like Scotsman said - pretty much like every other President and every other State of the Union speech. I think it'd be more entertaining if they threw subject matter (rabbit kibble, genetically altered rugrats, whatever) into a hat and made them make up speech about it. At least then nobody could be fooled into thinking it's anything but self-aggrandizement.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1327524940' post='536640']
The State of the Union doesn't deliver any factual information. Just because it's required by our by-laws doesn't mean they have to actually tell us anything. It's all "look what I've done for you and what I'm going to do this upcoming year." Like Scotsman said - pretty much like every other President and every other State of the Union speech. I think it'd be more entertaining if they threw subject matter (rabbit kibble, genetically altered rugrats, whatever) into a hat and made them make up speech about it. At least then nobody could be fooled into thinking it's anything but self-aggrandizement.

'Rani
[/quote]

What they really need caliope music, big red noses for the VP and speaker, and the congress to all arrive packed in a VW minibus covered with brightly coloured flowers.

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1327529385' post='536642']
I'd rather watch paint dry or grass grow than watch a campaign speech (which is what this was).
[/quote]

Haha, true, true. Not like he needs it, based on the amount of money he is spending on campaign commercials.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1327533874' post='536650']
[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1327524940' post='536640']

'Rani
[/quote]

What they really need caliope music, big red noses for the VP and speaker, and the congress to all arrive packed in a VW minibus covered with brightly coloured flowers.
[/quote]

Oh, I like it! Let's add in someone letting loose several cages full of feral ferrats and NOW we got ourselves a shindig!

'Rani

Sad thing is, when I think about who I want to vote for the only thing that I can think of is who I WON'T vote for -- Obama and Bachman. Out of the rest? Still don't know...the moment I think I like someone they say/do something stupid.

Great, So far none of the presidential canidates look promising what so ever. It seems like our choices now consist of extremely radical individuals who may fuck up everything they touch or some one who can't take a firm ground on what they said they would do for the country. :I

Since both parties seem to be two branches of the same party, the only hope would be a third party candidate. But we all know that is never going to happen. All it would do is take votes from one or the other main parties. Short of that we should take the money out of politics. Public funding of campaigns would be nice, and not just the broken hybrid system we have now.

We need to start by paying attention to who we elect for the Senate and House. They are more readily accessible when you need to contact them and they may pay closer attention to the will of the people. That's the next step - get more people involved and voting. The reason the government has run off the road is because we've been asleep at the wheel. We have to let them know that they work for us, not the other way round.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm liking this site more and more every post i read...the picture is priceless.
we need to have a random lottery in order to find nominees for president, no more greedy corrupt bastards with the most money. It'd be like jury duty, you'd get selected than have to go through a selection process if you chose to serve, then get the same amount of air time to tell the voters how you'd manage the country.
this country wasn't made for career politicians rather it was made for us, we need to get back to that. oh yeah and term limits and FLAT TAX for rizzle. :_sheesha2__by_Majunka_aurore: