R.i.p Jack Kevorkian

So after being released from Prison in 2007 Dr, Kevorkian has passed away, I for one dont think what he did was too bad, the people he "treated" were all really sick and or in serious pain and he eased that pain for them. However THE PATIENT was the one who gave the OK and the patient is the one who pulled the trigger or flipped the switch on the machine.

I know it's controversial but I didn't see what was so bad. Not like he put a gun to their head. Volunteer at a Hospice House for a week. You will see what I mean.
  • Upvote 1

I had no problem with him at all, I was happy the day that he was released from jail. He was an advocate for a rare fact of life (or death) that choosing when to die can dignified.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1307121013' post='511570']
I know it's controversial but I didn't see what was so bad. Not like he put a gun to their head. Volunteer at a Hospice House for a week. You will see what I mean.
[/quote]

After watching my grandma suffer through the majority of my childhood, I formed some opinions on this at a pretty young age. Though she chose to fight so that my brother and I would have a memory of her, I would rather seen it end earlier for her sake since it was so terrible. Though it wasn't necessarily the case in my situation since she had her own personal reasons for wanting to endure the struggles associated with her illness, but nobody should be forced to painfully wither away in a hospital bed for their last days if they don't want to do so.

• 7 months later...
[quote name='AbuNafkha' timestamp='1328116533' post='537405']
The Dr. got "A taste of his own medicine"
[/quote]

Uhhh... he was 83 years old and in case you are not aware everyone dies at some point.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1328119881' post='537423']
[/quote]

Uhhh... he was 83 years old and in case you are not aware everyone dies at some point.
[/quote]

and not only that but it was in bad taste sir, if i may say so for joytron and myself.

[quote name='headhunter' timestamp='1328123120' post='537430']
[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1328119881' post='537423']
[/quote]

[/quote]

and not only that but it was in bad taste sir, if i may say so for joytron and myself.
[/quote]

Bad taste indeed.

Medical ethics are a hot button issue. I spent my morning watching a patient actively trying to die today. To watch their suffering and their family suffering at not understanding that their gasping for air is not an attempt at survival, but the body shutting down is extremely difficult. Dr. K sought to ease the suffering of both the family and the patient. Don't judge until you've had to watch someone die- slowly over the course of hours, days or weeks.