I Want To Start A Hookah Bar, Couple Questions.

First of all, I did the math, and my startup is under $10,000. Does this figure sound right or am I skimping on something?

Second of all, all of the hookah bars I've been to give you 1 coal and the smoke really isn't that thick. Is there a reason for this, or should I set up the hookah the way I know it works best, with 2 or 3 coals.

How much of the money is usually made off of renting the hookah, and how much is usually made off beer, coffee ect. whatever else you choose to sell?

What's the best way to set up the music? I was thinking I would get satellite radio and set it on a station that played a lot of current hip hop and rock.

How many hoses? This is the question that perplexes me the most, EVERY hookah bar I've been into has one hose per hookah. Why? It's not one person smoking the hookah hardly ever.

What kind of extras should I have? I know I'm going to get a pool table with a coin slot and charge a dollar per game. Cards? Darts? Anything else? I've heard of people setting up board games but idk how I would go about this.

How far away would I want to be from other hookah bars? 1 mile? 10 miles? I live in a pretty urban area.

I would like to set it up as more of a hookah bar, rather than one of those hookah nightclub type of things. Make it very relaxing. Any ideas or advice would help.

A lot of my friends own hookahs bars so use Coconut Coals for less work and ALL NATURAL wood lump charcoal for more work but better smoke. Use ONLY one hose egyptian hookahs(Magdy Zidan or Khalil Mamoon) because it is harder to deal with any hookah with more than two hoses on top of the air loss. Hookah is a social smoke and it teaches patience, live by that

Use 2-3(probably 2) pieces of Coconut charcoal.

If u want a REAL hookah bar, keep the music low and when it more ppl come in, turn the music up JUST A LITTLE bit, and try not to use songs ppl can dance to if u want a hookah bar and not a hookah nigthclub

Beer pricing varies but when it comes to coffee, make it like 50cents to 75cents more than the closest cafe so its not too much more expensive but somewhat bigger profit

maybe have decks of cards and some board games and games like chess, tarneeb sht like that

if your thinking about setting up a business and the questions that your bothered with is how many coals/hoses your hookahs should have , im afraid you will keep your business as a dream .

a hookah place , like any other pub/coffeeshop/diner , is firstly a business .

you should check how much it will cost you to rent a place in a strategic are , what will the goverment deduct from you , is there parking available , the timing you open it (for instance summer might be better , just an example) , what theme you want for it , are there many ppl passing by (maybe next to a club) , and check for suppliers which will cut you good deals for forniture , and supplies for your place .

the hookahs and the music are by far your least worries .

good luck .

[quote name='r1v3th3ad' timestamp='1301177546' post='503125']
[url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/11575-so-you-want-to-start-a-hookah-lounge-updated/"]http://www.hookahfor...lounge-updated/[/url]
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='r1v3th3ad' timestamp='1301177546' post='503125']
[url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/11575-so-you-want-to-start-a-hookah-lounge-updated/"]http://www.hookahfor...lounge-updated/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks

Were you thinking of opening one in Tampa? Like...USF area?

If so, that area is pretty saturated with hookah lounges. However, if you do it right, you will succeed as the MANY lounges around there are pretty crappy in my opinion. Only 2 or 3 really stand out to me.

I went to USF and recently graduated from there, so I know the area pretty well. If you want, send me over an e-mail and I can give you some pointers about locations and such

-Mahir
NH

I will tell you what. I travel the country for work and always seek out a hookah bar or two. I see that the lounges that are doing well are either High class (traditional) or they are located near a university and they are a modern style. If you can be within walking distance of a university you are going to do well. As for the coal thing, I have been told they do it for a cost and time thing. They give you two small QL to gauge the time about an hour. Plus they use a smaller bowls so you usually will only get an hour. I would love to get two coals at a lounge, but I wouldn't mind if they stay as QL. I agree keep it to one hose, but get something nice like a nammor. You don't need to go with KM right off the bat, maybe some rotating ones. Less accidents. Also start thinking prices, what type of bowls, staff...etc. I will tell you a bad staff will kill your business. Just some stuff to think about.

$10,000 is pushing it. I have a business plan that plans to start up for $30,000, but thats not in an urban area (where rent is higher). Also, you're talking about selling beer, which adds more licensing and start up costs. Remember you have to put money into your starting equipment, your lease build outs, your decor, your furniture, the hookah houses entertainment, snacks, an accountant, your rent and utility deposits, cash reserve for the first couple of months of business, and all the other little stuff (cash register, business sign, business licensing, trash cans, lightbulbs, ect. ect)

Its not as simple as buying some hookahs and picking a store front.

[quote name='peaceman27' timestamp='1301244882' post='503193']
$10,000 is pushing it. I have a business plan that plans to start up for $30,000, but thats not in an urban area (where rent is higher). Also, you're talking about selling beer, which adds more licensing and start up costs. Remember you have to put money into your starting equipment, your lease build outs, your decor, your furniture, the hookah houses entertainment, snacks, an accountant, your rent and utility deposits, cash reserve for the first couple of months of business, and all the other little stuff (cash register, business sign, business licensing, trash cans, lightbulbs, ect. ect)

[/quote]
when i was planning to open a lounge , a basic lounge can be done with 10K, as long as you have cans of elbow grease. When starting up a nice lounge dosent have to be big and flashy. Simplicity is key. sometimes when i smoke i would lay a blanket down on the floor and sit and relax comfortably smoking. hookah on the floor soft rug and pillows nice and relaxing and cheap.

[quote name='ezxen' timestamp='1301255199' post='503206']
[quote name='peaceman27' timestamp='1301244882' post='503193']

[/quote]
when i was planning to open a lounge , a basic lounge can be done with 10K, as long as you have cans of elbow grease. When starting up a nice lounge dosent have to be big and flashy. Simplicity is key. sometimes when i smoke i would lay a blanket down on the floor and sit and relax comfortably smoking. hookah on the floor soft rug and pillows nice and relaxing and cheap.
[/quote]

ah but question is, is that what customers would want to pay for if so how much is to much. I think the 30,000 is a good est.

One last thing. You have to make your business plan for the return on your investment. Do you charge more and make it back in the short time or charge less and make it back in the long run?

[size="2"][color="#1C2837"][quote]when i was planning to open a lounge , a basic lounge can be done with 10K, as long as you have cans of elbow grease. When starting up a nice lounge dosent have to be big and flashy. Simplicity is key. sometimes when i smoke i would lay a blanket down on the floor and sit and relax comfortably smoking. hookah on the floor soft rug and pillows nice and relaxing and cheap. [/quote]
[/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#1C2837"]
[/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#1C2837"]In my business plan the biggest expense is the reserve cash fund... 10,000 dollars should be reserved just to help pay for the day to day business for the first couple of months. You aren't going to be breaking even starting on day one. I do agree that 10k is enough for the hookahs, the tobacco, the home made benches and cushions, and the first months rent. I can't believe that you could stay open for more than a month or two with that much though...[/color][/size]