Dangers Of Hookah

[url="http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/5/1/19"]http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/5/1/19[/url]

Keep in mind the testers in this sample smoked an even stronger / "more dangerous" version of what we smoke. They smoke with no foil and an unwashed tobacco that they mix with glycerin. Well... enough explanation from me, check it out if you are interested.

Im gonna be honest, after the first few paragraphs it was way over my head. Everything in moderation. One of my best friends mums was diagnosed with throat cancer and she hasnt smoked anything in her life so if im honest im past caring about that stuff now.

[quote name='TiLLooR' date='30 January 2010 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1264809721' post='448458']
One of my best friends mums was diagnosed with throat cancer and she hasnt smoked anything in her life so if im honest im past caring about that stuff now.
[/quote]

just because a person doesn't smoke does not mean they cannot get throat/mouth/lung cancer. smoking just greatly increases the chances.

Yeah, I was thinking about the way they attribute cancer and heart disease to smoking. If you smoke and you get cancer, they attribute it to smoking. My understanding is that they count it. Second hand smoke is particularly funny, if you get cancer and you live with someone that smokes, that counts for second hand smoke cancer. In terms, the cancer rate for non-smokers is 10:1000000. The cancer rate for second hand smokers is 12.5:1000000...if we subtract (which they never do), that means that second hand smoke (if the results are statistically significant to begin with) cause about 2.5 cases of cancer per million people...or 750 people in the U.S. These types of results are claimed to be, by critics as being unsubstantial or insignificant...chance fluctuations in cancer rates could account for these differences.

I've seen that study before...I liked it. I don't know how accurate it is...but it does seem to be a strong voice opposing the WHO and the Medical Community.

[quote name='chinamon' date='29 January 2010 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1264814545' post='448470']
[quote name='TiLLooR' date='30 January 2010 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1264809721' post='448458']
One of my best friends mums was diagnosed with throat cancer and she hasnt smoked anything in her life so if im honest im past caring about that stuff now.
[/quote]

just because a person doesn't smoke does not mean they cannot get throat/mouth/lung cancer. smoking just greatly increases the chances.
[/quote]

+1

My grandma died of lung and liver cancer. She never smoked or drank a day in her life.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I've never smoked 120g in one day alone. Thats absurd.

Also, they made their own shisha mixed "The final mixture contains molasses and tobacco in 1:1 ratio by weight".... I thought Sonthert had mentioned on the tobacco-tax thread that shisha was 10-18% tobacco by weight?

Regardless, the study wasn't actually that bad for hookah smokers. Most of the article sided with us rather than cigarette smokers as far as healthiness goes.

[quote name='mxtaylor' date='02 February 2010 - 08:40 AM' timestamp='1265118046' post='449143']
Maybe I'm just weird, but I've never smoked [B]120g in one day [/B]alone. Thats absurd.

Also, they made their own shisha mixed "The final mixture contains molasses and tobacco in 1:1 ratio by weight".... I thought Sonthert had mentioned on the tobacco-tax thread that shisha was 10-18% tobacco by weight?

Regardless, the study wasn't actually that bad for hookah smokers. Most of the article sided with us rather than cigarette smokers as far as healthiness goes.
[/quote]

To me it looks like its per bowl that you smoke.

[quote] those who smoked only hookah (no cigarettes, bidis, etc.), prepared between 1 and 4 times a day with a quantity of up to 120 g of a tobacco-molasses mixture each[/quote]

[quote][color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]Has anyone read the study that using foil for hookah can cause parkinsons?[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

I've read from multiple sources that the vaporization temperature of aluminum is close to 5000 degrees F. The top of your bowl will never get that hot, so you won't be getting any aluminum passing through your hookah. Even if you did, the studies that say aluminum causes parkinsons are derived from tests that provide evidence of higher levels of aluminum in the body for diagnosed parkinsons patients. This does not mean that they were eating aluminum foil...

In addition, we shouldn't even be looking at smoking anymore when trying to figure out where cancer comes from. Try checking out what you eat. America's food safety system is run by the powerful executives of the industries. For example, meat from the processing sites often contains plenty of bacteria and harmful organisms, so they started treating the meat with ammonia, which made it a different color. Then, they would go back in and dye the meat the color that consumers found appealing. WTF? My mother has ovarian cancer and doesn't smoke nor drink. IT'S IN OUR FOOD. I think we need to figure out what we are eating before we can claim that cancer is caused by two or three things we consume. High fructose corn syrup is an effing nightmare too. Yes, it's made from corn, but that corn is genetically modified and a ton of chemicals are added to it. HFCS is in soooo many things...and there are no solid studies on what the chemicals in a poptart do to our body after prolonged exposure.

[quote name='baumann' date='10 February 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1265842126' post='450825']
[quote][color="#5d5d5d"][font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"]Has anyone read the study that using foil for hookah can cause parkinsons?[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

[b]In addition, we shouldn't even be looking at smoking anymore when trying to figure out where cancer comes from.[/b]
[/quote]

This is a good point. Our water supply is polluted believe it or not (check out any study... Also recommend viewing 'Poisoned Waters' by PBS). The pollutants in increase the risk of getting cancer, whether you smoke or not. Bottled water isn't much safer, as about 25% or more of bottled water is just tap water (I don't recall the source of that claim, but I found it when I was working on a paper about water pollution).

[quote name='Sonthert' date='29 January 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1264815517' post='448472']
Yeah, I was thinking about the way they attribute cancer and heart disease to smoking. If you smoke and you get cancer, they attribute it to smoking. My understanding is that they count it. Second hand smoke is particularly funny, if you get cancer and you live with someone that smokes, that counts for second hand smoke cancer. In terms, the cancer rate for non-smokers is 10:1000000. The cancer rate for second hand smokers is 12.5:1000000...if we subtract (which they never do), that means that second hand smoke (if the results are statistically significant to begin with) cause about 2.5 cases of cancer per million people...or 750 people in the U.S. These types of results are claimed to be, by critics as being unsubstantial or insignificant...chance fluctuations in cancer rates could account for these differences.

I've seen that study before...I liked it. I don't know how accurate it is...but it does seem to be a strong voice opposing the WHO and the Medical Community.
[/quote]

Speaking of second hand smoke, watch out for third hand smoke!
http://www.examiner.com/x-11804-Health-Care-Examiner~y2010m2d10-Study-reveals-third-hand-smoke-is-a-major-health-hazard

Oh no the cancer latches onto the carpet and waits to kill our babies!

[quote name='LZ22' date='10 February 2010 - 04:14 PM' timestamp='1265843649' post='450828']
[quote name='Sonthert' date='29 January 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1264815517' post='448472']

[/quote]

Speaking of second hand smoke, watch out for third hand smoke!
[url="http://www.examiner.com/x-11804-Health-Care-Examiner%7Ey2010m2d10-Study-reveals-third-hand-smoke-is-a-major-health-hazard"]http://www.examiner....r-health-hazard[/url]

Oh no the cancer latches onto the carpet and waits to kill our babies!
[/quote]

Yeah I saw that report....even for anti smoking campaigns that study is a bit of a reach.....