Scalliwag's Cherokee Herbal Shisha

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Scalliwag @ Feb 18 2009, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (echotc @ Feb 18 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know you can't disclose what you use in the shisha, however, my boyfriend is in the military and apparently there are some substances that are legal in the U.S. that he can get kicked out of the navy for smoking, such as salvia.

I just wanted to make sure that he would be able to smoke this shisha

Tabitha

Dang Tab to be honest I don't know the answer to that. If there is a list of herbs that are restricted I'd be happy to look. I can tell you that Salvia is not one mainly because I've not heard of it. If you or anyone knows of a list I am glad to review and I will be honest if something is in there he needs to stay away from. Fair enough?

Thanks, I'll try to find a list for you

QUOTE (MechAnt @ Feb 19 2009, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I almost wanna just fly out there and smoke with the man himself! Too bad I'm going to NYC for spring break to visit my sister sad.gif

Hell Mech, get a layover at DFW dude. smile.gif I live close enough to pick you up and take ya back.

QUOTE (Zyram @ Feb 19 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I may be back in Texas soon, maybe I can come try it out and have a pre-pre-order wink.gif

-Z

That works!

QUOTE (echotc @ Feb 19 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, I'll try to find a list for you

I forgot to look into that today. sad.gif Christian and I hit a few beers last night so it's a little foggy.

Are you taking requests/suggestions for flavors?

I think a cucumber-mellon would be good, or a pomegranate-mellon... yum

Or, you could always do something out there like an avocado-persimmon-mint mix... that would be... interesting

Guys my peach batch is smelling really good. That same powerful smell as SB White Peach. smile.gif I'm gonna try it tonite and see what it's like. If it turns out like I'm hopin I will get a bigger batch going it could be ready for pre-order time!
I'll admit I am counting my chickens before they hatch but....... it smells better than even the JD Black label!!!
I will play with mixes later on. Sangria Peach, Black Peach, Vanilla Peach!!! HAHA! I will have to remind myself that peach is not everybodies fav or "Bubba Gump Herbal Shisha" will probably win that damn contest! sad.gif

QUOTE (inino @ Feb 19 2009, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please make a second round order thread, i wanna hop on it! wink.gif

you have until 03/03?

The peach is really close.... but I am not quite satisfied yet. Just going off smell it is incredible. The smoke taste does not come near reflecting that yet. Like I said the fruit flavors are a different dawg and a whole other set of processes. sad.gif

My JD Black label gets better every time so I'm thinking it is doing better as it ages. Makes sense. But I dunno yet where this will peak. I wanna find that out. That way I can ship aged batches that are nice and ripe. I had not noticed that JD has a light minty taste. I thought I mixed it up for something with peppermint in it but I hadn't .
Ms. Scalli moved around my stuff and I did not have some test stuff labeled sad.gif
Once I determined it indeed was JD I went and sniffed my bottle of JD (and may have accidently took a swig wink.gif )
I only really thought about the cool breezy smell but it is almost minty. I guess I like minty flavors more than I thought.
Anybody with a bottle of JD take a whiff and see if that's how you'd describe it?

QUOTE (Matt-641 @ Feb 19 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scalli, do you know if mnhookah will still be selling this shisha a few months from now?

Unless this shit is not as good as Christian and I have reviewed I think MNHookah will want to keep it in stock. I'm really hoping to hear from some UK folks like my buddies Johnny D and Steeeeeve. I may have to make those boys a "care package" sent over to get some buzz going over there.

My goal is for this to be a permanent fixture in the hookah world.

Just like with tobacco it turns out that there are different qualities of herbs out there. I had bought out all of my most important herb from the first shop I bought from. I find another local place and buy some and make some batches up. I made more vanilla-raspberry-peppermint exactly like the first. All should be great right?
So Stuie and the wife and friend come as planned last night and I whip up a bowl. I was thinking the stuff was smelling different. We start smoking and while it was putting out gobs of smoke this shit has a aftertaste of like lawn clippings. I was flipping embarrassed. I was so happy that at least Christian could verify that it was not anything like that.
Upon closer side by side inspections today of some made from the first batch of herb I noting that the new stuff has looks different and has stems sad.gif
Fortunately I did not buy a lot because I have an order coming in from a place that has kosher and organic certifications. I'g glad the preorder deadline bought time. If the new herb is not quality I will order a bulk order from the first herb shop. It may not be cost effective but I can worry about that later.

Back to Stuie's visit. I knew my JD black was not quite ready probably and it wasn't but at least it was still good. We had a great time. As with every member that has ever been over they we top notch folks.
Thanks for the coffee shisha Stuie. Damn that smells good smile.gif I hope you guys were not too disappointed and enjoyed the visit as well. At least the organic wheat beer was excellent wink.gif

Sucks that that session didn't go as planned but....

I'm really hoping that vanilla flavor turns out well. If you can make a nice flavorful vanilla...I will call across an desert of broken glass and salt to get to take one puff.

I have faith in ya, Scalliwag!

QUOTE (ColibriDon @ Feb 21 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sucks that that session didn't go as planned but....

I'm really hoping that vanilla flavor turns out well. If you can make a nice flavorful vanilla...I will call across an desert of broken glass and salt to get to take one puff.

I have faith in ya, Scalliwag!

Thanks Coli. My Madagascar Vanilla Bean was made with the same bad herb as the van-rasp-pmint Stuie and us smoked. Looking back I wish I would have tested that first and fond out there was a prob with the new herb and not subjected them to that debacle.
I got fresh vanilla beans from Madagascar and made a killer extract from it. Fortunately the test bacth was not big. Just whiffing the extract would probaby make you crawl across broken glass. smile.gif I am not as big vanilla fan but I know it is a lot better than the vanilla used in the first bach that was really good. Them dan beans are expensive. I need to source them better.

All at least appears to be well now. Thanks to USPS Priority Mail I got my package today. I checked the mail right after the last post and it was on the step. It looks a lot different than the last batch and smells better than even the first batch. So far so good. I have some that I started soaking yesterday from the bad batch and I started soaking a batch of this.
Now I'm not real sure exactly how much color change the last stuff was when it first got wet and if it got darker overnight or not. I just know the first batch is really light colored.
I'm really wondering what the eff is up with the stuff from the second place. Of course I'm not going to sweat it much now that I appear to be in even better shape than the first source, but that is pretty jacked up.

So I'm gonna be a busy beaver guys. smile.gif I will post as I have updates. For now all is well it appears.

QUOTE (Scalliwag @ Feb 21 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just like with tobacco it turns out that there are different qualities of herbs out there. I had bought out all of my most important herb from the first shop I bought from. I find another local place and buy some and make some batches up. I made more vanilla-raspberry-peppermint exactly like the first. All should be great right?
So Stuie and the wife and friend come as planned last night and I whip up a bowl. I was thinking the stuff was smelling different. We start smoking and while it was putting out gobs of smoke this shit has a aftertaste of like lawn clippings. I was flipping embarrassed. I was so happy that at least Christian could verify that it was not anything like that.
Upon closer side by side inspections today of some made from the first batch of herb I noting that the new stuff has looks different and has stems sad.gif
Fortunately I did not buy a lot because I have an order coming in from a place that has kosher and organic certifications. I'g glad the preorder deadline bought time. If the new herb is not quality I will order a bulk order from the first herb shop. It may not be cost effective but I can worry about that later.

Back to Stuie's visit. I knew my JD black was not quite ready probably and it wasn't but at least it was still good. We had a great time. As with every member that has ever been over they we top notch folks.
Thanks for the coffee shisha Stuie. Damn that smells good smile.gif I hope you guys were not too disappointed and enjoyed the visit as well. At least the organic wheat beer was excellent wink.gif

The Visit was awesome! I loved it. Even though not all the batches were up to your standards, except for the first one, they were great!

The flavor get's stronger as it smokes, it was taking about 10 minutes for all the flavor to unfold. Smoke was amazing! No exaggerations and videos don't do it justice, I mean when you see it bellowing it out of your own mouth it's amazing!

Enjoy the shisha, Scalli!

See you at HookahStock next weekend!!!

Glad you guys had a good time too Stu. I'm wound up for Hookahstock as well biggrin.gif
I tested a batch with the new batch of herb and the shit is better than any I got before! So we are definately back to good. smile.gif Sorry for the delay on test batches.

QUOTE (junkman @ Feb 23 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am in too, Just let me know where to paypal the postage..

Legal Buzz sounds good

I already packaged everything up and ready to go out to the first 5 testers. Right now I just wanna get some out there for getting the first in some folks hands and input from them.
I made this batch a bit "wetter" (for lack of a better word) because I was worried if for some reason it got dryer that could pose a problem. Everybody is getting the same flavor; vanilla-raspberry-peppermint, or VanRasPerMint. wink.gif
Hopefully it all shows up in as good or better than it was when it left. There should be enough for several bowls.
So maybe check a bowl when it gets there, let some dry a bit, and keep some wetter and see how that affects it.
Thanks guys. If it tastes like shit you can post that. If you are having trouble post that. Just post the experience as you see it.

I am steadily going to work to make it better anyways. The flavors are tricky. Without going into detail, here is the scenerio. I want 100% natural, organic ingredients with zero preservatives unless they are 100% natural.
Here is some interesting things I am learning. Let's say you wanna smoke a peach. Well the peach flavor is more the juice than the solid.
If you were to take all the juice and flavor from a peach or apple or ? and try to smoke just the solid part it most likely would not tastes good. Most things that you could get to smoke will taste like shit in the big scheme of all matter that can produce smoke.
That said the trick seems to be getting the flavor you like extracted from the residual matter it normally resides in and transferring that flavor into a matter that is either neutral or enhances the flavor when it is smoked.
What smells good in it's natural state is usually not the same as when it burns.

Those are some of the things I am working through as well as making it with as long a shelf life as possible. I have no idea what the shelf life is. I think it will be good like it is because some ingredients should act as natural preservatives.
So just getting something to taste like something regardless of ingredients is not my goal. Sometimes I wonder about smoking some of the things other than the tobacco in shisha. That is not to say that smoking even 100% natural other plants is 100% healthy though. Sorry guys I'm kinda thinking out loud and giving a little insight to my considerations in this project.
What are some of your thoughts on that diatribe I just blurted? ohmy.gif