Need A Good Deal On Protein

Giant Ninja Robot

Well, I'm using whey protein powder as of like a month and a half ago and I'm almost out of my current tub I got at my place of work (Trader Joes).

It was like 12 bucks for a lb and I know I can get a better deal out there. Any thoughts?

I'm new to it and have no clue where to start.

I checked into GNC but their card you need to get a good price is a stupid pay for it card that wont save me all that much in a year's time...

Maybe I'll find a friend who has a card I can use since they have it in 5lb jars for like 44 bucks get the secoind half off which is a great deal.

One of the problems is that I don't like to buy online I'd rather buy at a store.

Any thoughts? Help a brotha pretty new to weightlifting out?

If you've got a Sam's club membership or know someone who does they have 5lb bags of EAS whey for like $25, or so. I've been using it for about 3 months and I think it works well, good taste too.

I use Syntrax Matrix 5, once after working out and once before going to bed. It's time release and has a bunch of BCAAs, so it's pretty good against catabolism. I can really feel the difference - never wake up hungry as a wolf nowadays (which happened a lot before).

In my (subjective) experience GNC is overpriced crap.

Don't understand why you're iffy about purchasing online... I save about 1/3 off the MRSP, keeping in mind that most local businesses in Canada will charge you more than the MRSP. And try to sell you a bunch of crap that you don't need. Edited by erufiku

don't stick to just whey protein as well...if you're going to get fairly serious into it, you'll need 2 or 3 different mixes (which is another reason i recommended you that site). you should have a pre-workout, post-workout and a bedtime mix of protein. also, not all proteins are created equal - so you should keep that in mind as well.

but, yeah...if you're not too serious about it, just get some cheapy brand at Wal-Mart or a grocery store. It'll help a little.

If you got any questions, shoot me a PM and I'll help you out.

the sports science college at the local campus did a study that shows most of that buy-by-the-barrel stuff ends up going out through your urine, and that selecting low fat deli meats like homestyle oven roasted turkey breast (not the high sodium blended meats) offered far more bang for your buck.

I like and use Optimum Nutrition brand, sometimes their Natural Whey line or sometimes one of their new concoctions. Perhaps I bought into their marketing, but I've been happy with their stuff, which I usually get on bodybuilding.com. That site also has comparison charts that breakdown brands per pound or serving for the $$.