When Is Your Bowl "done"

I was just curious when you all consider your bowl to be "done". I find that the shisha starts to smoke and burn before it all is charred. Most of it is but the bottom still has some juicy left.

Is that just how it is? It is a bowl/setup problem?

how do you pack your bowl?
The main thing is that for most shisha except tangiers you should fluff your tobacco in your bowl so its just at the rim, this promotes good airflow through the bowl which will help cook the entire bowl of shisha instead of just the top. Also heat management is key so as soon as you get a hint of harshness move the coals a bit and make sure you are not using too many coals.

QUOTE (piperjason @ Aug 2 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was just curious when you all consider your bowl to be "done". I find that the shisha starts to smoke and burn before it all is charred. Most of it is but the bottom still has some juicy left.

If you pack your bowl correctly and manage heat correctly, you don't have to "repack" and refluff ever. A session is done beyond doubt when the smoke gets thinner and you take the foil off and see that the shisha is burned on top and fairly dry at the bottom.

If it is still juicy/wet at the bottom, the bowl is far from over. If the smoke is harsh, though, then it's a packing/heat-management problem.

Even in a regular standard bowl, I use a very good quick lighting coal that lasts 50-65 minutes of continual puffing. I always find the heat finishing before the shisha does, so I gage it using a bit more coal . No burn or smoke, just lightly charred at the bottom or dry.

QUOTE (ronald_dooley @ Aug 2 2008, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (piperjason @ Aug 2 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you pack your bowl correctly and manage heat correctly, you don't have to "repack" and refluff ever. A session is done beyond doubt when the smoke gets thinner and you take the foil off and see that the shisha is burned on top and fairly dry at the bottom.

If it is still juicy/wet at the bottom, the bowl is far from over. If the smoke is harsh, though, then it's a packing/heat-management problem.

I agree with you. That is how I have always done it. A well packed bowl will go without repacking, or moving around, if you have proper ventilation and "fluffiness"