Which Side Up

You know the "dent" that's made in coals? Should it be upwards (like a cup) or downwards (like a .. hill).
Since everybody around me seems to have another opinion (but none are really good hookars) I was wondering what the masters here can advise me.

Sounds like a real hookahnoob question to me, so it matches me perfectly.
Searched and read the faq, but nobody seems to care.

like a hill. the cup directs heat down, and as it goes through the coal, the ring shrinks as it turns to ash, placing the center closer to the foil, compinsating for heat loss. it is also ment to ash so that the ash on the hill side insulates the coal and further direct heat down.

well, i think as far as the shiny side/dull side goes, it doesn't really matter. if you were using light to heat the shisha, then maybe, but since the heat is being pulled through the holes in the foil, it doesn't really make a difference. still, i always do shiny side down.

QUOTE (arik @ Aug 9 2007, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
down like a hill.

Since we are somehow near this topic i always wondered about this question?

Does the foil make a difference when shiny side is up or down?

yes.
the shiny side is more reflective to heat, while the larger serfice rea on the brushed side absorbs heat better
so this means shinny side down to make your coals most effeciant.

Down like a hill, but that's because there is actually more of the coal in contact with the foil. If you go like a cup, too much fresh air rushes by the coal and into the tobacco, making it less efficient. One thing you could try if you ever find a bowl big enough for multiple coals and 2 hills are too much, try 1 hill 1 cup

Hill.

For foil, I honestly don't think it matters. But from just being in the position it's in when I tear it off, it's usually shiny side up for me. Edited by Allia22

im also the same, like a hill and shiny side down. However, if smoke starts to taste harsh, sometimes i turn the coal over (like a cup) and move it to another area. Since its less efficient this way it stops the shisha burning, and thus reduces harshness smile.gif

Wow! I am impressed! We all agree...like a hill. The reason those are there is because coal in contact with a good thermal conductor, like the aluminum foil, will get cooler. If you create a divot, then the "feet" can touch the foil, while the "ankles" will still be hot. Flat coals just sit there, and only the edges heat the bowl.

Matte side up for foil...although I don't think that was part of the question...the reflections of light might create a charcoal mishap on the shiny side up. Yeah, I know its dumb, but it really doesn't matter which side is up but, I have to come up with something...right?