(new?)foil Trick For Quicklights

i rarely use those "mod" bowls i think they are called, because i usually get 3k 33mm coals and they are a bit small for that wide of a bowl. plus its nice to be able to use 1 at a time on my smaller egyptian bowl. but the other day i was thinking of a few things i read somewhere on here and decided to try something on the mod bowl that turned out to work quite well. a few friends thought this was pretty slick and said i should put it on here(since i always give them the lowdown from product reviews and stuff on here(sometimes i sound like a computer nerd/advertisement lol)).

ok, step one. i put my piece of foil on something like a phone book, and put my coal on the foil where i think it will be on the side of the bowl, if the foil was wrapped around the bowl.

then i more or less perforate the foil around the coal with the sharp metal stick on my tongs. a dent about every 1/4" or so right against the edge of the coal. you want to make the dent hard enough so that you start to puncture the foil a bit, but not necissarily go through. you make the holes toward the end.

then i take the coal off and make evenly spaced dents about 1/8" apart inside the perforated circle.

after that i place the foil on the (filled!) bowl so that the circle is against the inner edge of it, and wrap it down around the bowl. not too tight, tight enough to make the surface of foil flat, but so the foil can rotate around the bowl. for the tight seal just lightly push around the edge of the bowl so the foil seals to the top of it.

now is the time to push the metal thing all the way through the perforations to widen the holes. this keeps the foil from stretching down when you punch the holes normally, and helps keep the foil off the shisha.

i place my lit coal on the holes and puff away. whenever the coal needs to be moved i just twist the foil and the holes are in a new place! its good to have quick hands so you dont burn your fingers for this lol. but if the foil is loose enough its not a problem.

overall smoking experience hasnt changed a bit, still thick clouds, great flavor, and it doesnt affect the speed of your inhale that much either. last night while smoking, the first coal was starting to die out after about 35-40 minutes and we both had to go home, so i pulled the foil off and only one half of the bowl was black, the other side looked like a fresh bowl! this is a good way to save a bit on coals by getting the smaller ones, and still get the lengthy smoking experience you do from a bigger bowl.

I think this idea is kind of like the top of one of those little salt shakers. First pack it like a normal bowl and do the foil technique, poking wholes all over, but you add a second layer of foil with wholes only where the coal will sit, so you can just swivel the coal around on the second layer but still get heat. I think thats what you were trying to say? If not it would work just the same right?

the whole point is so that less unheated air is pulled through the shisha, the only air that goes through is hot because the coal sits on all of the holes. ill post up a diagram tonight if i get to it or tomorrow, i was running late for work while trying to explain as clearly as possible. and i would rather push bamboo shoots under my toe nails than try to upload pics on my crappy computer.

ok this is as good a pic as i have time and the patience for. you basically just make a circle of holes around the coal so the cirlce is the same size as the coal. then when you put the foil on top of the bowl you only squeeze the top half inch or so tight, leaving the rest loose so the foil rotates. so when the coal needs to be moved, you just rotate the foil. so for all of you armchair experts, this idea was for the wider mod bowls and smaller 33mm coals. as you can tell in the diagram the coal is pretty small compared to the bowl. try punching holes all over in your foil using the mod bowl and a small coal. you will get pretty thin smoke. this isnt supposed to be some miracle trick, just an idea for if you ever run into the problem of having too small of coals for such a wide bowl.[attachment=518:foil.jpg] Edited by blacklabelqlewis

Quite confused at this method or w/e.

Here's what I do though...

Here's a little image:

Quite simple how this works. Grey part is the foil and black part is the holes you make in the foil.

The biggy that makes this different from others is the little side holes on each corner. I found this method to work the best, especially when I try and place the coals more towards the center. Considering theirs more air to be let loose, not to sure, but this method always gives me good clouds of smoke and it's easy to inhale even with the stronger tobaccos "like Havana brand".

good idea xeft, ill have to try that next time i fire up the relaxation tower. ill try to get around to some step by step pics but as i said, my computer is not very friendly when it comes to trying to either upload or export anything (damn windows vista!!!)

Waste of time. I read that whole first post and didn't have a clue. You need pictures. Just move your coals around, it's not that hard. Surely a lot easier than doing all that nonsense.

TX

remember, THIS IS TO HELP THE PROBLEM OF HAVING TOO SMALL A COAL FOR A WIDER BOWL, (im sorry that had to rhyme lol) not some new way to smoke hookah all the time. maybe not your cup of tea, but all the hookah enthusiasts i run into around these parts seem to think its a pretty good idea. and i hate having to tend to the coals any more than i have to (i AM this lazy).

ok, instructions simplified and altered a bit since the original ones were a bit complicated, and ONCE AGAIN: MY COMPUTER SUCKS FOR UPLOADING PICS. read the entire thread people!!

just put your foil on normally, and put the coal on the foil so the side is almost lined up with the inside edge of the bowl.

now take something and poke holes right around the edge of the coal, making a circle of holes the same size as the coal. then punch holes inside the circle.

light coal and place on holes. rotate when necissary.

pretty simple. try it if you ever run into that problem. or if you wanna save a couple bucks on a box of coals. and stop telling me why i should just rotate the coals. i do. untill im stuck with a wide bowl and small coals, and i would rather use one at a time no matter what size the bowl, cause if your clouds are thick with one coal, why use more? Edited by blacklabelqlewis