New - Led Icecubes (56k Will Run Slow...)

Howdy ladies/gents.

Last week I made another trip to visit the guys at Taqseem Hookahs (Sacramento local) to replenish my stock of tobacco and coals, and lo and behold Samir had a new item in stock that I'd never seen/heard of. Eseentially they are just cube shaped fake icecubes with LEDs that activate when they come into contact with water. Basically, bling for your hookah smile.gif

He said they are big in the club scene as they use them in cocktails, but double just as well as glitter for the hookah. They are waterproof, and are SUPPOSED to have a battery life of ~70hours. BUT, they apparently run for a solid 80 nonstop. He wanted to test the battery life for himself, so let one run nonstop over night, and it finally petered off just over the 80 hour mark, so not bad!

Ofcourse I had to get a few for myself.. happy.gif

They come packaged in pairs, and I opted for the blue/green combo, but he also threw in yellow/red pair. I gave those to my buddies at school and the frat ate them up.

I forgot to ask him where they can be bought and the price, so I'll have to send him an email so I know where to get them in the future. Hopefully a place that gives the forum a discount smile.gif

Of course these are just a novelty and only enhances the session aesthetically, but I'm definitely going to bust these out during gatherings.

Anyways, I snapped a few shots so you guys could be jealous, and even uploaded a short click via youtube so you people could see them in action.

Click here to see the video.

Hmm, I also forgot to mention that I have no clue what that crystal stuff inside the cube it. I don't think it has anything to do mechanically, since all the sensors/LEDs are in the base of the cube. Maybe they are just there to make it look more like an icecube?

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Feb 3 2007, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can get something similar in the uk... I just wish you could repalce the batts!!!

JD - Waiting for the utube!

Ah thanks for bring this up, as I forgot to talk about that.

Samir explained that he had a cube desinged with a replaceable battery, but a few problems arose. First, it made making the cube waterproof very difficult. Second, these things take those types of watch batteries, which depending on where you buy them from would cost more than the cube itself... So it would be just simpler to not make these things with replaceable batteries.

As for the crystal stuff inside, it's just plastic, it's meant to fract the light off the LED's, it's an aesthetic thing. The cubes probably use narrow LED's so to disperse the light, plastic. Yay.

Ah well poop on you guys who've seen them before smile.gif Guess I'm just getting behind in the times in my old ripe age of 22 happy.gif

QUOTE (test)
Nice Hose:)

Looks like my plastic one from lowes.

Please son, I roll with the Home Depot hoses, 4 lyfe yo...

Yeah interesting thing is, my parents are out of town for 2 weeks, so I'm taking it upon myself to smoke inside as much as I can before they come back. Ofcourse I'll have to stop a day before they come back to give my room a chance to lose the hookah smell, but I'm loving it so far.

Oh and I'm not sure how easy it is to notice from the picture, but I'm using the Home Depot Vinyl tubing 20'. I normally buy the 20'er and cut it into sections, but since I'm afraid of a coal dropping on the carpet in my room, I set up my hookah on the bathroom tile which is like 14' away, and I just rock the entire 20' hose... smile.gif

Now I can surf the net and smoke all at the same time. Very nice indeed.

QUOTE (xpimpitox @ Feb 4 2007, 05:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol GoD! yo yash isnt it a pain in the ass 2 manage coals from 14' away???

Eh, just means I have to get up ~10 minutes. Not a biggie.

QUOTE (smiley @ Feb 4 2007, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like those. Pretty Sweet. How tall is your Hookah Yash?
Smiley

Well the base in that picture is a backup base I have. It's a few inches shorter than my normal base, but my normal base wouldn't allow me to show off the nifty lights very well since its a very dark green with painted decorations. I think I want to find a nice clear vase to really make the lights shine through. My hookah when set up normally is 36".