How to pack a Standard Tangiers Bowl

Redux!Good thing my backups are current! [img]http://imageigloo.com/images/5025IMG_0571-1.jpg[/img]1:Stir the Tobacco well[img]http://imageigloo.com/images/222IMG_0573-1.jpg[/img]2:Stir it Very Well. Notice how the unstirred tobacco has a dark, matte finish, while stirred stuff is shiny, nearly iridescent.[img]http://imageigloo.com/images/4613IMG_0574-1.jpg[/img]3:The right density of tobacco, it just neads a little more. The tobacco's cut means it lays in the tub at about the same density it should be in the bowl. Other brands that are shread finer need to be "fluffed" and of course, the tendency of the tobacco is to repack itself in the same density as it is in the tub/jar...making it clump and draw poorly. Tangiers is packed in its nearly natural state, so it does not expand or contract nad the draw is fairly constant. Heat makes things expand, so the tobacco does tend to expand slightly during smoking.[img]http://imageigloo.com/images/3344IMG_0577-1.jpg[/img]4:Full bowl. I have not "mashed it down", just arranged it so that the tobacco is about the same density as its natural rest density (in the jar/tub). Make sure the tobacco touches the sides well. Gaps make for poor heat transfer, wasting charcoal and imparing smoke density. [img]http://imageigloo.com/images/4021IMG_0579-1.jpg[/img]5:Foil. Notice the amount of divot the foil experences. I use the heel of the palm of my hand to twist the foil in a circular manner. A tiny little more divot is fine. If the divot is too small, there is too much tobacco and it will draw poorly and the smoke will be thin (since you can't get as big a hit). A larger divot means the tobacco is too sparse and the smoke will be thin. [img]http://imageigloo.com/images/3893IMG_0583-1.jpg[/img]6:Poking holes with an oyster fork. Drive the holes all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Go from one side of the foil to the other. Don't start on one side, go to the other and meet in the middle. The tighter the foil, the less ripping of the foil will occur. [img]http://imageigloo.com/images/3860IMG_0584-1.jpg[/img]7:Finished bowl, with quarter for scale. Turn the bowl over and blow through the hole that connects to the hookah, gently. It should feel like there is something in there, but airflow shouldn't be obstructed. [img]http://imageigloo.com/images/3498IMG_0588-1.jpg[/img]8: Smoking. Japanese Golden Charcoal, Versace hookah, leather hose. Flavor: test batch, black currant. Mysterious leg/foot in the picture!

whats the theory on the bigger holes, tangiers?Does it work best on only your heads, or a standard sorta head too?Also is it better/ worse for certain shisha's and certain coals?Thanks

Orlon: Umm, its all good. I respect every flavor. I don't believe in putting out crummy flavors just because I need a flavor of that type to keep up with the Joneses or, in this case, the modern familial unit of Middle Eastern origin. For instance, I have no cherry or cola or mango. I have not conquered the technical problems the flavors possess, so I abstain. Benny: big holes always better. Bigger hits. Small holes were invented by guys who ran hookah lounges, but wanted to save $.20 and put nearly no tobacco in the bowl and still charge full price. The small holes compensate for the general lack of tobacco...the draw would be way too loose, so they put smaller holes that draw tighter. This also limits the air and gives you an oxygen deprevation buzz when the manufacturer removed all the nicotine, too. I've been in the business for ten years, I've known all the greats in the city where this really started invading America. Everybody has always packed their bowls this way, from back in the day...all the guys who used to make hookahs in the middle east and came over here and packed bowls here. When I saw a couple of people do this a couple of years ago, I'm like..."Does that really work?" If you think it works, better, do it. If you think the traditional way works better, do it that way.

[quote name='Tangiers']Umm, its all good. I respect every flavor. I don't believe in putting out crummy flavors just because I need a flavor of that type to keep up with the Joneses or, in this case, the modern familial unit of Middle Eastern origin. For instance, I have no cherry or cola or mango. I have not conquered the technical problems the flavors possess, so I abstain.[/quote] tangiers.us says that you got cola !?

Don't listen to my website. That flavor bombed...too erratic. Oryon:Good, glad to have you aboard the family. Phunnel bowl: pack similar to a standard Tangiers bowl, poke holes similar to standard Tangiers bowl. Don't put tobacco above phunnel. If the foil seals over the phunnel, it won't draw smoke, just air. I put one hole over the phunnel, in the foil, sometimes 5 smallish ones. The bowl really functions at peak performance when it is 7/8 full-full...less tobacco may not draw as well because the suction further down is lighter and won't draw as much vapor, if you see what I'm saying.

I've poked only one hole in the new phunnel bowls. It was OK, a ring of ten holes around the center hole made it pretty good. A ring of holes around the outer edge made it pretty close to perfect. The edge holes seem to be important for chordal and radial fluid flow. (Air travelling from the outside inwards). Note those are my size holes, not those small ones.

I've tried this twice already with my 50g bowl once it was decent once i threw a 3rd golden on there, heck i even used a real 3 pronged oyster fork. the second time i threw 3 coals on from the beginning and it was just harsh harsh harsh. would too little tobacco make it harsh? Maybe its my divot method. And for some reason i have NEVER had clouds like in the hide your face thread. I smoke at least every other night. Any more specifics? My Phunnel will be here Thursday though and the experimentation starts all over again.

Hey,So i finally bought some Tangiers and a phunnel bowl. I'm so excited, it should be coming in on Tuesday. I just have a few questions.Tangiers, in the picture that showed the packed bowl wihtout the foil on, it looks like the shisha will touch the foil...how do you aboid it coming into contact with it and burning?Also, after you push the foil in with your palm...how do you straighten it again?thanks for your input.al-bab

i tried this method of packing this bowl now with al waha guava ... but i stopped smoking after 10 minutes because the smoke got very harsh and it tasted like a burning guava ...i "learned" to pack bowls with maximally 10g of shisha, and normally i also make very small holes. but with 10g, i can smoke 2 hours very well with the standard tangiers bowl because it has very good heat characteristics. so, this method isn't really good for me. nevertheless, i love my tangiers bowl ;)

[quote name='Tangiers']Orlon: Umm, its all good. I respect every flavor. I don't believe in putting out crummy flavors just because I need a flavor of that type to keep up with the Joneses or, in this case, the modern familial unit of Middle Eastern origin. For instance, I have no cherry or cola or mango. I have not conquered the technical problems the flavors possess, so I abstain.  [/quote] Hey i suggest you try to conquer pomegranate. I have only seen al amir provide the flavour and you got to admit it is unique.

[quote name='PersianPride'] [quote name='Tangiers'] Orlon: Umm, its all good. I respect every flavor. I don't believe in putting out crummy flavors just because I need a flavor of that type to keep up with the Joneses or, in this case, the modern familial unit of Middle Eastern origin. For instance, I have no cherry or cola or mango. I have not conquered the technical problems the flavors possess, so I abstain.  [/quote] Hey i suggest you try to conquer pomegranate. I have only seen al amir provide the flavour and you got to admit it is unique. [/quote] there's also layalina pomegranate.