Hand Held Home Made Hookah

So AKammenzind and I have been talking for a few days about wanting to make little hand held hookahs for the heck of it. So on Saturday we finally went out to the store, picked up the necessary supplies which cost hardly anything, went back to my place and started makin em. They ended up turning out great. Seriously, these things pull easier than both my and AK's hookah and the freaking thing isn't even a foot tall! Anyway, I'll let the pics and video explain the rest about the HHHMH.

The HHHMH in all of its ghettofab glory

AKammenzind with a nice cloud (notice the pimp ass PVC handle I made wink.gif)

Me holding it and failing at getting a cloud because of the wind (notice my pimp ass crutches)

Here's the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjyI-pdv9W4

Anyway, another thing that we thought you guys would like to see are the coals we got. Basically, before we were about to smoke we realized "OH NOEZ WE HAVE NO COALS!" so we ran up to the local shop and they had this carboard box of naturals for $5. We decided, what the heck, we'll try them. Well... they're about as natural as you can get when it comes to hookah coals. Seriously, these were basically little chunks of tree branches that were burnt into charcoal. You could even see the bark still left on some and the rings in the tree! They worked nicely and didn't really have any kind of 'woody' taste if anyone might be thinking that, and they ashed pretty nicely. Anyway, here are some pics of em

As AKammenzind says "these aren't just finger coals, they're ARM COALS"

That coal is almost as big as my bowl!

Notice the rings of the tree and wood as it ashes.

So yeah, that was our fun little Saturday adventure, here is the list of parts we used to make the hookah in case you're wondering. Glass preserves jar with handle, 8" of 1/2" diameter copper pipe (yes, copper, oh no we're gonna die... not really since it doesn't even get warm), 3' of 1/2" OD vinyl tubing, big long stick of 1/2" ID pvc pipe (for the handle), 1/2" ID brass pressure seal little connector thingy (sorry, I have no idea what its supposed to be called), and lots of green duck tape (yes, duck tape, not duct tape).

QUOTE (mathuv @ Apr 21 2008, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
welcome to the magical world of bulk coals tongue.gif watch for explosions. anyway, wont pvc taste bad when sucking through it? wont you get a taste?

Haha, Neff got a 2-day boot for acting like a dickwad and being cute with Mush. But no, we didn't get any bad taste at all using it. No point anywhere on the hookah is a diameter of less than 3/8", so the pull was godly and we got lots of flavorful smoke (king moassel banana).

It's not impossible that after time we might, but hey... it was worth a shot, and we haven't had a problem yet (though we've only smoked it once).

QUOTE (Johnny_D @ Apr 21 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats Gents - that looks brilliant biggrin.gif

We have those coals in the uk - and there not great... in my opinion they ash like crazy and don't get hot enough.

Really? I liked them a lot! No flavor at all, long lasting, cheap ($4.99 for the box) and very little ash. They do probably differ a lot from one box to another though, being very much unprocessed as it were.

• 2 years later...
[quote name='Jerry Paul' timestamp='1286560789' post='484391']
I think it'd be cool to make a hookah that'd be able to go in your car while you drive and smoke :D... the only issue with that is the coal problem.. don want the car to catch on fire.. how does one get around this situation
[/quote]

Hahahahaha. You have begun the great debate. Prepare yourself, son.

[quote name='dizzbizz' timestamp='1286580084' post='484426']
I think it'd be cool to make a hookah that'd be able to go in your car while you drive and smoke :D... the only issue with that is the coal problem.. don want the car to catch on fire.. how does one get around this situation
[/quote]

[/quote]

Doubt it, hes gone. :post-5619-1201289386:

[quote name='Travis' timestamp='1286580501' post='484427']
[quote name='dizzbizz' timestamp='1286580084' post='484426']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Doubt it, hes gone. :post-5619-1201289386:
[/quote]

Well, interestingly enough, California is now in the process of modifying their cell phone/texting law to a "distracted driving" law. Which means they can issue the citation based on the officers opinion of whether or not whatever you're doing consists of a "distraction". The fine runs $300 on a [u]first[/u] infraction. Anybody still think it's "cool"?

'Rani

Awesome little hookah, I love the ingenuity. I've used coals like that before too, for me the trick was to just pile them on the bowl like a little bonfire. Although you didn't seem to have any problem so who cares?

I bet you could cut and mold a disposable pie plate around the bowl to use as an ashtray if you wanted.