White Stuff In Neck?

ok.... search isnt working for me for some reason. So i'm sorry.. please dont flame me *rabble rabbbllee dey took our jeeeyyooobsssss*

ok... my friend is a dummy. He doesn't clean his hookah after each smoke (yuck) but wheni went to clean his hookah so we could smoke over at his house, there was a whole bunch of white junk in the neck of the hookah. It looked like barnacles almost. they were white and sticking to the inside of the hookah.

What the world is this stuff? is it even safe to smoke out of it? I was not going ot smoke out of it, so everyone else did and said it tasted fine after we took the cleaning brush to it. He said it always gets that stuff in it. Is it bacteria?

can someone shed some light because it just looked nasty!

Could be mineral deposits from the water, although that's probably unlikely. If they are, there's no health risk. djbomb's probably right, in which case... yuck. If there is a moist environment (unemptied hookah) along with organic material (i.e. juice from the shisha) that's a great setting for microscopic critters to congregate and breed. You need to get your friend to stop disrespecting the hookah and clean that puppy on a regular basis.

i'd say brush it really good, soak it in rubbing alcohol or something strong like that, brush it again (then throw that brush out lol), soak it in water, brush it once more and it should be good..

I'm scared now.. I haven't cleaned my hookah once yet. Like not with a brush. I haven't smoked in a month or so but I did rinse out with water the base but not the stem.. I just left them in my closet now.. is bacteria or fungus going to grow in the stem ?? Ewwie.. lol..

QUOTE (kornkitten42 @ Apr 12 2007, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok.... search isnt working for me for some reason. So i'm sorry.. please dont flame me *rabble rabbbllee dey took our jeeeyyooobsssss*

ok... my friend is a dummy. He doesn't clean his hookah after each smoke (yuck) but wheni went to clean his hookah so we could smoke over at his house, there was a whole bunch of white junk in the neck of the hookah. It looked like barnacles almost. they were white and sticking to the inside of the hookah.

What the world is this stuff? is it even safe to smoke out of it? I was not going ot smoke out of it, so everyone else did and said it tasted fine after we took the cleaning brush to it. He said it always gets that stuff in it. Is it bacteria?

can someone shed some light because it just looked nasty!

btw "Everyone back into the pile!!" lol just couldn't resist! tongue.gif

yep im gona agree u got a nice fungus farm going there. I would NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT smoke out of it until u have cleaned it. fungus spores in your lungs can be really bad. get some mildew remover. spray the shit out of the inside of the stem. rinse. repeat 1-2 times. i'd say for safe measure, soak the stem in boiling water. rinse a few more times. brush it a few times. rinse again. make sure it is super clean =), then smoke up friend.

that is SOOOOOOOO nasty...... i will never smoke out of his hookah again. BARF

ahhaha everyone back into the pile..... that's great..... biggrin.gif

south park is awesome.

ps.... i knew i was smart by not smoking it, all he did was clean it with a brush and lemon juice. +1 for me not getting sick

-1 for him being the way he is.....

QUOTE (joeaflak @ Apr 13 2007, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can one assume that after years of smoking daily ones lungs may look the same way...........if not wose.

I dont know but ive never stuck a bottle cleaner brush down my throat before.

No. Your lungs clean themselves!

There are tiny hairs which catch crap and send it back out of the lungs. Hence why heavy smokers have that lovely, charming, attractive, morning HACK.... ever caught the sight of dust floating around in a shard of sunlight? your breathing that in 24/7.... NICE.

So i wouln't try bottle brushing your lungs.... biggrin.gif

JD

Don't panic. Just clean the hookah thoroughly. I prefer to use a small toilet brush, yep, just like the bathroom bowl. (DONT use it for both purposes). Glass is impenetrable to molds, fungus, etc. Best method is to use hot, soapy water. I prefer Dawn liquid. Brush the neck and shoulders of the water reservoir thoroughly, then rinse, a couple of times. For extra measure, some Lysol brand liquid, mixed with water, will kill any remaining bacteria or fungus. I use a mixture of chlorine bleach and water, about once a month, to give my reservoir a good disinfection.

Its not fungus.

It is something weird, i believe its recrystallized sugar/molasses/whatever that sticks to the inside of the hookah stems wall.

Why isnt it fungus?- It fragments into tiny pieces/powder when struck, is hard as fuck, and never spreads throughout the hookah any further from where it begins to form (within the first session of smoking).

I think its some kind of voodoo reverse sublimation, maybe even vaporized volatiles from the coals.

I've had so many mixed reactions from this thread. Nastiness from the thread title "White Stuff in Neck?" (come on, it's not too hard to take the wrong way >.<) to "omg, I'm boiling my stem RIGHT NOW this is so nasty, I don't even care that I don't have crazy barnacles growing in it," to "Ok, so what the hell is it?"

I'm not a mycologist (sp?) by any means, but maybe initially the white stuff (let's just assume it's fungus for the sake of this argument) was moist and spongy. Would the fungus grow hard with lack of moisture, or would it just shrivel up into dust? Otherwise, glavin could very well be correct with the particulate accumulation. The particulate from shisha's typically black/dark brown in color. What does ash mixed with water do after it dries up?

I figured it out....

They are actually small little white nuggets created by hookah gnomes.

When you light up a bowl the gnomes come out from within the white space of your hookah to try to climb up to the source of delicious flavor that summons them from their valhalla-esque utopia.

What is the white space? Its a part of INTELLIGENT SPACE that resides within the hookahs smoke shrouded secrets.

When someone/a novice asks: "how does it work?" -they are searching for the white space.

When a hookah enthusiast asks "Why does the inside of my hookah look like the bottom of a pontoon boat?" - they are also searching for the white space, and it is cleverly elluding them.

The gnomes emerge from the white space to get to the flavor, or as the hookah gnomes call it.... Flaavor.

But the flavor is way up high, so the gnomes construct grips from the rocks found in their white homes to scale up.

The expedition always meets a tragic end when the gnomes get greedy and too close to the heat, get hot blinding gas in their eyes, and fall back down, like dominoes on each other from the cylinder sky like so much Icarus.

They tumble down the shaft, bodies being mangled and shredded by the very stones they've used to craft a ladder to heaven to hit cool water with bone crushing force. Many drown. None survive.

Ever seen your base turn red after smoking? thats them.
Ever heard a hissing leak? thats their screams.
Have you ever like, been smoking and its awesome but you totally feel that something went down your throat, and you suspect its those black chunks that you think come from your hose but you try not to in an attempt to be optimistic but it turns out there actually is a black gritty chunk in your throat? Thats a fried gnome part.

I havent seen this happen with smoothbore necks as badly though, only roughed up internal surface ones like mine seem to get em. Would make sense if it was reverse sublimation, a rough surface is a good place for molecules to seed.

I also know a guy who never cleans his hookah (~1 month). And its not bad to smoke out of.

No , fungus that dries up would not be rock hard... just like some dried mold. If its fungus.. just clean it and that's it. It would probably die from the heat of the smoke when you light up imo , but be safe and clean anything not supposed to be there.