holes with a toothpick! help!!

I have been using a toothpick and am really unsure of how big to make the holes...I have been sort of just BARELY penetrating the foil and making a hole almost exactly the size of the VERY tip of the toothpick..one bowl I smoked I made like 50+ holes all around of that size...then a 2nd bowl some of the holes the toothpick slipped a little bit and the size of the hole on those was a little bigger...is it generally better to have the smallest holes possible or ones a little bigger? how many? etc. etc. etc.
The questions I now have after trying to put all of your advice into practice! :)

Well I assume that the bigger the holes you make, the more heat is going to be let in, so I'm guessing if you're using big holes, make less of them.
I use a head-pin to punch my holes and have about 30-35 holes. I pretty much just make sure I don't put the holes too close togeather to avoid too much heat entry.
Also, if your holes are too big, ash from the coals get inside your bowl. Hopefully more people will post and tell you how they work the holes so you can get a variety of options. Good Luck!

really nerv? ok thanks! I was using just the tip of the toothpick...I figured the full thickness of the toothpick would be too big...i'll try that for the next bowl I pack and keep it under 20 holes!

basicly bigger holes will draw a little ash into the bowl, so i have a
straw to blow the sh out when i clean (dont wanna put my face up to it
cuz then u get a mouthful of ash) but i find that they smoke a bit more
stable, i used to use a pin andsometimes got that horrid foil burning,
its much less often with with my sharpened coat hanger