Snowboarding

ahuwood

So i got a snowboard for Christmas and I plan on going soon. I've never gone before and since i'm in so. cal we havn't gotten much snow anyhow. So does anyone snowboard and/or have any tips for a newbie?? biggrin.gif

i board. where in so cal are you at? i live in apple valley and we frequent mt high. we all have season passes and we're there 2-3 times a week. in fact, im taking my gf tomorrow.

as for tips, you're gonna fall a lot. accept that. if you feel like you're about to fall, take a seat. its better to fall on your ass than your knees. when getting off of the lift, ride straight, dont try to turn, dont try to slow down. just ride straight or you WILL fall. dont try to carve on your first few times boarding. wait till you have been at least 4 or 5 times before you start trying to be on your toes. it is 439458 times harder and if you try to learn when you dont have any experience, you WILL fall. and last but not least,

YOU WILL FALL A LOT. ACCEPT THAT.

I loved snowboarding. I haven't been for a while since my board got stolen and I don't have the disposable income to get more gear.

I learned by myself, no lessons. And, I fell alot. Thats ok. My first time i just went on the bunny hill, learned almost nothing. The second time I went on the lift, I learned so much more. So, I don't recommend the bunny hill. Also, the type of board has a lot to do with how well you can board. I rented kempers and well they sucked so hard to control then I rented sims and a burton a ton of difference. I ended up buying a burton.

After the first season I thought I was doing awsome then I took and intermediate board lesson, wow I learned so much. Took my snowboarding to a whole new level. So, though i can't recommend snowboarding lessons right away, since I didn't do it. But, I'm sure they are worth it. I hate boardin on slush/ice and man made, since you are in CA (I was in Idaho) you will prob only be boardin on those surfaces.

If you get a chance to hit the slope in the north, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming (jackson hole is my fave) You will absolutely love it.

BTW I never piped. I love cutting through powder and carving in fresh snow, If you like the pipes and other Skate like obstacles it prob won't matter the type of snow.

i tried once..was hard.. i wanted to again..havent gotten a chance..but have learnedto ski on a class trip...so im pretty good at skiing..try to learn and stop early..to me that was the hardest.. expect to fall..that way it wont come as much of a BOOM in yo FACE!!! I will definately try and get back into it

just dont get into the habit of:

A: Sitting in the middle of the slope
B: Plowing half the slope

Just make sure you learn how to stop and turn first. Worry about going fast later on. Its really not that hard just keep your weight on the front foot. Its the opposite of surfing.

I board and ski. I board just to free ride, but if I feel like hitting the park up I pull out my Dynastar skis. (Twin Tips own)

yea mostly repeats of what they said, you will fall a lot, do not try any jumps, you will prolley just end up messing up the lip of the jump and pissing off a lot of people, also dont hit up your local mountain with a plastic wal mart board make sure you have proper bindings and metal edges at least