Chest Pain

Iv noticed that after I smoke hookah I get some chest pain and I am HIGHLY concerened about that! but I am looking into starbuzz which has far lower nicotine levels than some of these other brands... I smoke cigs too and never have had this problem. what is your opinion on this and would it be alot better for my health to smoke washed tobacco? I love hookah and still want to smoke but I also would want to do whats best for my health! Edited by mgs0lid

Hmm..what's best for your health...QUIT SMOKING! dry.gif

But to actually be helpful to you original question....it could be that you are inhaleing deeper and smoking longer per session than when you smoke a regular cigarette and that could have soemthing to do with the chest pains. Then again...could be totally unrelated...

I've gotten chest pains for smoking before, but it was jsut a couple times. Maybe this is a forecaster of you coming down with something... Try stopping for a week or two and don't smoke as much when you start back

Is this chest pain something new? You should have someone listen to your lungs... you could be starting with bronchitis. You inhale deeper while smoking hookah and that could be what is triggering the pain. I know this is going to sound stupid, but friend, it could even be something as simple as gas. Rule out any probs with your lungs first and go from there.

I find it kind of funny that you are worried about the nicotine levels in hookah tobacco and yet you smoke cigarettes which contain more, artificially added, life threatening chemicals. But whatever, it's your choice.

As for actual advice, I would say to just stop for a while and see if you still get chest pains, or maybe use less coals on the hookah because you might be burning the tobacco a little bit (and not notice it as much as someone who doesn't smoke cigarettes). Or, as said before, try not to inhale as deeply.

The brands I know of that are on the low side of nicotine:
Al Amir
Al Fakher
Starbuzz (I think)

If you don't want nicotine, definitely avoid Tangiers. Unless there is some other mystical phenomenon going on with it, the nicotine buzz level is very high.

First of all, you can't really not inhale when smoking hookah. I don't understand how people can discuss whether or not to inhale hookah laugh.gif

I get chest pain sometimes, and usually it's because the draw on the hookah is too tight and I'm straining my lungs to take real big pulls. There are a ton of things that can cause a tight draw:
    -narrow hose (buy a wider hose)
    -narrow stem (buy a new stem / hookah)
    -high water level in the vase (fill to no more than an inch above the stem)
    -bowl packed too tightly (pack the bowl, put the foil on, then blow through the bottom of the bowl to refluff the tobacco and clear any obstructions. Inhale gently through the bottom of the bowl with the bowl tilted upwards to make sure the draw is easy.)
    -not enough holes on the foil (sometimes this isn't a problem until you've got charcoals on the bowl, obstructing the airflow)
It's not like smoking a cig where you pull with your mouth and simply inhale with your lungs -- with hookah you're actually pulling with your lungs, which can get tiring and sometimes result in a painful or heavy feeling in the lungs. On my old 2 hoser, I once pulled a chest muscle because my friend took a strong rip off of one hose while I was hitting the other. Thought my lung had collapsed!

If that's not the problem, I guess it could just be a general reaction to the smoke. Trying a washed tobacco is a good idea I guess, but I'd think that the vaporized glycerin itself is more likely to produce chest pains than the nicotine. I usually can't smoke more than 2 or 3 bowls in a row without feeling discomfort in my chest. In any case, I used to get chest pain a lot more often when I first started smoking hookah, so maybe after you break in your lungs (i.e. destroy them) like the rest of us, the chest pain will subside! laugh.gif

QUOTE (cymptom @ Jan 5 2007, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First of all, you can't really not inhale when smoking hookah. I don't understand how people can discuss whether or not to inhale hookah laugh.gif

Oh it can happen sort of, my boyfriend has the hardest time inhaling with his mouth. Immeadity before he can even blow the smoke out, it comes out his nose. Thats how he got the nickname "Scuba Josh" cause he'd have to hold his nostrils closed with the other hand.

QUOTE (CaliforniaRose @ Jan 5 2007, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cymptom @ Jan 5 2007, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh it can happen sort of, my boyfriend has the hardest time inhaling with his mouth. Immeadity before he can even blow the smoke out, it comes out his nose. Thats how he got the nickname "Scuba Josh" cause he'd have to hold his nostrils closed with the other hand.
There's always smoke lingering in your mouth that doesn't get inhaled, unless you take a breath after taking the hose away from your mouth... but that would be kinda pointless. My point though was that there's no way to smoke hookah without pulling the smoke directly into your lungs. You can pull with just your mouth but you'll only get a thin wisp and not much flavor.

You should consider stopping for a few days to let your lungs recover. Then be sure your coals get fully going before you start drawing. Patience here will pay off with a much more pleasant experience. tongue.gif