Homebrewing- The Best Accompaniment To Hookah

Scalliwag

After reading Buford's homebrew thread and reading the very knowledgible content of the posts I had to try this for myself. So after a ton of PM's to Lakemonster getting his advice I bought equipment and giving it a shot.
One of the first things that happened that was very lucky was finding just about everything I needed and more for $45. Lake looked at the list of stuff before I bought it and told me it was indeed a good deal. After seeing the prices for things like the carboy, ferm buckets, etc. it was pretty easy to see he was indeed right.
All of that stuff is in the first pic. It was a 6 gallon glass carboy, 2- 6.5 ferm buckets, one with a spigot, a stainless pot that is a lot smaller than the 30 qt. stainless I already had with my turkey fryer, 2 cappers, 3 bottle washers, 3 bottles, a buttload of caps, a wine thief, a siphon tube, 2- carboy caps, 3- airlocks, a bottle brush, and a few books. Yep, all that for $45 from a guy on Craigslist.

The next pic is 3- 20lb CO2 bottles (I traded some welding related bottles with my weld supply to get them so price is a little hard to figure) my "deluxe" stainless turkey fryer and 30 qt. pot I hat last year from Acedemy Sports on sale for I think $55. I liked it because even the stand is stainless, and two 5 gallon Cornelius kegs I got from a really cool local guy that sells them on eBay and Craigslist. I got them for $17.50 each and he threw in a set of disconnects and made it an even $40 for all.

I will post later on how my first batch started, and is currently going. Right now I am scared because it's been 14 hours and no sign of bubbling in the airlock yet. Someone had posted a link on the other thread to www.homebrewtalk.com and from what I read there I don't need to panic..... yet.
I also got me a Sanyo mini fridge for my kegerator. But any of you that know about my antique study from other threads are going to like what I am building to fit the theme of the room.

14 hrs.. I wouldnt worry yet either.......

if nothiing in 24... well. you might consider pitching another packet....

Slow starts can be beneficial (I thinkn) too robust of a fermetation seems to give teh beer a buttery flavor sometimes.

Are you doing a 100% concentrate or is this a partial mash?

Damn. You are set on equiptment.

QUOTE (Lakemonster @ Dec 25 2006, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
14 hrs.. I wouldnt worry yet either.......

if nothiing in 24... well. you might consider pitching another packet....

Slow starts can be beneficial (I thinkn) too robust of a fermetation seems to give teh beer a buttery flavor sometimes.

Are you doing a 100% concentrate or is this a partial mash?

Damn. You are set on equiptment.

I think the kit I got is a partial mash? http://www.homebrewerysupply.com/homebrew/...edient_kits.htm I am still getting used to the lingo so.......
Nothing has happened yet so it's 25 hours now. sad.gif I do not have another packet of yeast so I will have to wait until tomorrow.
Hopefully it will kick off without it.

On the kegerator I am building to fit the theme of my room; I am making it to look like an antique icebox like the ones used in the early 1900's except it will have a refridgeration system in it. It will be a little like the one in this picture except a bit wider and bar height. I am going to make a brass or copper faucet tower on top of it with a dripdrain and a drip pan to keep it tidy.
There will only be one tall door on one side for the kegs. The other will have two doors similar to the one in the pic except they will have insulated glass. The bottom will be a wine chiller and bottled beer compartment and the top will keep frosted mugs. Both will be backlit.

QUOTE (DizzyGuy @ Dec 25 2006, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One more post showing that yes, Scally rocks biggrin.gif

Good luck with it and if it's a success, I'll be begging for some whenever I finally make it up that way in a few months tongue.gif

Hell, Scally has rocks for brains maybe wink.gif
When you come I will make sure to have some ready bro. We need to have another local party or two soon anyways. smile.gif

Oh, and if and when I ever learn enough to make a decent ale that is good and my own recipe I will name it "Schooner Bock" after my pirate theme ARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Haha, of course if it comes from dear ole' Scalli it's gonna have a pirate theme.

ARRRRRR!!!

and Schooner Bock sounds a little like Shiner Bock which in itself seems a bit pirated!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

I am reading up on getting components, compressor, evaporator, condensor, and thermostat for my icebox kegarator project. Hopefully I can find new components somewhere for a good price. Any of you guys appliance repairmen?

I have a good source for the wood and hardware materials. But I need to get the refrigerant components and design around that.

QUOTE (Lakemonster @ Jan 2 2007, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah... saw your video..... looks like its goin good....

What yeast were you using on that?

It is some dry yeast that came with the kit. When the first did not kick off and I went back last Tuesday they gave me another packet of the same. I am pretty excited about it.
Have you ever heard of a special Sam Adams that is 20% alcohol?

I think I know what your talking about.... the stuff that comes in a funny looking metal bottle?

You can do that too...... there is a high gravity yeast you can get... its used for making strong beers.. and uh.... "moonshine mash"

Sounds a bit like Doric Ale yeast..... I had the same issues with it.....

QUOTE (Lakemonster @ Jan 2 2007, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I know what your talking about.... the stuff that comes in a funny looking metal bottle?

You can do that too...... there is a high gravity yeast you can get... its used for making strong beers.. and uh.... "moonshine mash"

Sounds a bit like Doric Ale yeast..... I had the same issues with it.....

That is exactly what it was, except it was a foil packet for a kit. I have to buy up on better stuff for the next batch. Do you think you will be able to get out this way anytime in the next few weeks maybe? hmmmmm, that high gravity sounds worth looking into. smile.gif

It this the kind of yeast yo are talking about? http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/Pr...spx?ProdID=3704 Edited by Scalliwag

I hope to come up soon... Not sure when yet...... work is killin me right now.

Yes, there is definately better yeasts out there. Some people swear by liquid yeasts. but damn, they are high. ($6)

I tend to use SafAle-04. I add the stuff before bed after the wort cools down.... then its bubblin in the morning.

Ive thought about gettin some of that high grav yeast and make up a batch of barleywine, the stuff comes out to around 13% or so.... so I would need a durable yeast.

QUOTE (Lakemonster @ Jan 3 2007, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope to come up soon... Not sure when yet...... work is killin me right now.

Yes, there is definately better yeasts out there. Some people swear by liquid yeasts. but damn, they are high. ($6)

I tend to use SafAle-04. I add the stuff before bed after the wort cools down.... then its bubblin in the morning.

Ive thought about gettin some of that high grav yeast and make up a batch of barleywine, the stuff comes out to around 13% or so.... so I would need a durable yeast.

Maybe we should grow and sell super-yeast? smile.gif I will have to look up "barley wine" that term I have never heard.

QUOTE (Scalliwag @ Jan 3 2007, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ghostofdavid @ Jan 3 2007, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're all envious of your multi-faced talents, Scalli!!!!

Dang Robb you need to keep up with who is teaching whom around here wink.gif Lake has been doing all of this longer than me. He just doesn't post stoopid vids smile.gif

He is also part of the super talented super circle in the hookah forums. wink.gif

Barley wine is pretty much just a really strong beer.

It is a bit more special in that most of the time, barleywine has a much longer secondary fermentation and during that secondary, more hops is added directly to the brew and allowed to stay in throughout the whole damn run. Something thats called "Dry hopping"

Its really strong in hops flavor.... not yo granpappy's beer.... thats for sure..

Sierra Nevada (pretty sure thats it) makes "Bigfoot Barleywine" thats around 9.x% A really good brew. Ive only had a six pack worth and love the shit... wish I could find it more often.

You'll either love it or hate it.