Alt Heat

fewwdragon

QUOTE (fewwdragon @ Dec 20 2006, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone ever tried to heat up a metal that stays hot for awhile instead of coals? Ie. cast iron.

I've never tried it, but from my experiments with metal bowls and screens I'd say your biggest issue would be with the metal getting too hot.

QUOTE (fewwdragon @ Dec 20 2006, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone ever tried to heat up a metal that stays hot for awhile instead of coals? Ie. cast iron.

The stainless steel bowls the SS get wayyyyyy too hot when you use the coals the you would use for a clay.. stainless gets hotter, but cools faster.

QUOTE (The Cameron @ Dec 27 2006, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eventually i would like so ee some electric heating device that plugs in and keeps it hot.

I'd like to see that too cam.. but with current techonology, that wouldn't be possible at an affordable price... and then to make it waterproof so we can clean... just not happening.

If we could get something like clean burning propane keeping the bowl hot and simmering the molasses... then that would be afforable and practical.

QUOTE (Zerodynamic @ Dec 27 2006, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (The Cameron @ Dec 27 2006, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eventually i would like so ee some electric heating device that plugs in and keeps it hot.

I'd like to see that too cam.. but with current techonology, that wouldn't be possible at an affordable price... and then to make it waterproof so we can clean... just not happening.

If we could get something like clean burning propane keeping the bowl hot and simmering the molasses... then that would be afforable and practical.

that would be cool. we should team up and invent something.

• 1 month later...
Ha sorry to burst your bubble guys but there is already an electrical heater on the market. You wont find one on ebay but certain websites such as this:

http://www.shisha.co.uk/accessories.htm

If you didnt want to shell out the 70 or so bucks for it I suggest you do like I did and make your own. I havent had to buy coals in several months because of this method. It is clean (no carcinogens) and all it requires is an outlet. Ill throw up some pics in a couple but to explain how i did it. First i went to a goodwill and bought the smallest hairdrier I could find. I then unscrewed it and took out the heating element disconnecting it from the fan. The niochrome wire is the key because this is what heats up and turns these seemingly harmless coils into a 480 degree oven....also the perfect temperature for tobacco smoke. I I took the cone of the blowdryer and melted off the handle and used the cone to house the wire and to act as a wind shield. It sat on the bowl the same way that the mod hookahs with the connecting tops do. I then took the wires off of their original place and started weaving them back and forth across the bottom of the cone essentially making a flat surface of solid niachrome wire. I turned it on and the heating element turned bright red and stayed at that temp unless i changed it with the switches that were already embedded in the cable traveling to the outlet. Essentially i turned it into a little oven that sits flat on the metal screen....

/--\
/ \
/ \
/ \
--------

• 5 months later...
QUOTE (myst42 @ Feb 2 2007, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha sorry to burst your bubble guys but there is already an electrical heater on the market. You wont find one on ebay but certain websites such as this:

http://www.shisha.co.uk/accessories.htm

all the that is realy is a dc converter, a heating coil, and a veriable nob to rase and lower the current.

radio shack it

• 3 weeks later...
haha the electric heater is a good idea and i have actually tried it! i just used a heat gun... it was ummm not to great and the air blowing out of it just heated up the bowl and blew smoke all over the room. but the smoke i did get was very good and very tasteful. but the fact that it just blew smoke all over and burned the bowl within 15 mins wasnt the greatest thing. im sure they will soon create something that works well and has none of these problems