Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes and Scientology...Whats your take???

there will always be a debate about the validity of religion.
But whereas the "Jesus Fan Club" is centuries old.
And the head honcho was crucified.
And his followers were hunted.
And condemned.

L. Ron Hubbard has a fan website.
with a message board.
and wrote novels...
about science fiction.
Like... aliens.

I mean, at least Jesus was a Jew. He didn't "create" christianity. It kinda just developed from what he did.
L. Ron Hubbard fabricated a whole belief system.
Lol... and wrote the book.

scientology might be wierd and hoaxy, thats fine. a lot of religions are. but what is really scary is what they do to deserters and non believers. Just look at linda mcpherson. check out her memorial site, her family will tell you how she was MURDERED by the church. http://www.lisamcpherson.org/ . they force you to alienate yourselves from people whodont believe (called "suppressive persons" or simply SP's), and leave your family if they object to your belief.

scientology is not only silly and far fetched (many religions are) they are dangerous. and quite frankly, they scare the shit out of me.

QUOTE (pboyle)
there will always be a debate about the validity of religion.
But whereas the "Jesus Fan Club" is centuries old.
And the head honcho was crucified.
And his followers were hunted.
And condemned.

L. Ron Hubbard has a fan website.
with a message board.
and wrote novels...
about science fiction.
Like... aliens.

I mean, at least Jesus was a Jew. He didn't "create" christianity. It kinda just developed from what he did.
L. Ron Hubbard fabricated a whole belief system.
Lol... and wrote the book.

I know, i remember someone quoting L. Ron Hubbard saying that ' the best investment (or business venture) anyone could make would be to start a religion'. He said something to that extent, no lie, and look where it got him years later, millions of dollars richer!

QUOTE (Sonthert)
Its no less believable than christianity, hinduism or satanism...and its in color!

While I admit that there is no proof for Christianity, to compare it to a passing fad cult is insulting to the religion and ignorant to the contributions that Christianity brought to Western and world culture.

God creates the world, and out of love for sinful mankind sacrifices himself as punishment for all of our shortcomings, allowing a generous offer of Eternal Life in exchange for belief and good works.

Aliens shoot thetans into volcanos and spaceships and giant bombs and "thetan meters" and $10,000 dues and Tom F'n nutjob Cruise.

Which one sounds like a respectable religion, and which sounds like a shitty sci-fi movie?

well I gues sthere is a main "church" for Scientology her en hemet and supposedly mr cruz comes here, something along those lines. I say whatever floats their boat.

I dont want people coming up to me saying my PC gaming is an abomination to this world, because I would send a 540 tornado kick to the side of their face. So I dont bother with other people's past times.

When religion over comes common sense.. Time to become an atheist..

Being Christian; by name, I show tolerance, and kindness. the crusades were ove long before i was born. Bible says "If a man lays with a man as he does a woman, he shall taste his own blood."

But, being civilized, I am not going to behead homosexuals. I will ask that they don't put their crap in my face..

If only radicals could understand that concept.

QUOTE (Krautle87)
QUOTE (Sonthert)
Its no less believable than christianity, hinduism or satanism...and its in color!

While I admit that there is no proof for Christianity, to compare it to a passing fad cult is insulting to the religion and ignorant to the contributions that Christianity brought to Western and world culture.

God creates the world, and out of love for sinful mankind sacrifices himself as punishment for all of our shortcomings, allowing a generous offer of Eternal Life in exchange for belief and good works.

Aliens shoot thetans into volcanos and spaceships and giant bombs and "thetan meters" and $10,000 dues and Tom F'n nutjob Cruise.

Which one sounds like a respectable religion, and which sounds like a shitty sci-fi movie?

neither of them sound like a respectable religion.

one sounds like a bad drama series (christianity) and one sounds like a shitty sci-fi flick.

religion is destroying the world....

muslims are attacking jews and christians

jews are attacking muslims

christians are attacking jews...

orthodox jews are attacking non-orthodox

protestants are attacking catholics

one type of muslim attacking the other

world peace is virtually impossible. why?

because people cant agree which storybook is the best.

pretty sad huh.

QUOTE (Sonthert)
...besides, I think the scientologists know their religion is a bunch of hocum, whereas the christians have deluded themselves into believing this fantastic tale about a god and Jesus.

This man talks sense!

What's that then? war? greed? torture? hate? child molestation? What about what Christianity has actively contributed to? AIDs?

Scientology is no more or less valid than Christianity or any other, theistic religion. The fact that people have killed in the name of Chritianity detracts from it's validity in relation to Scientology.

There's a great quote somewhere, building on Russell's idea of the flying teapot, I must dig it out!

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (worr lord @ Nov 7 2006, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's up to her whether or not to have a natural birth, Tom can't force her to. Tom's house sounds like something of a Concentration Camp. Force fed false beliefs, starvation, rights taken away, and I'll bet he's got a special movie theater with a single chair with leather straps to show her Scientology propaganda films.

maybe she'll get some kind of effect like alex did with ludovico's technique

QUOTE (Yonatan @ Nov 24 2006, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
neither of them sound like a respectable religion.

one sounds like a bad drama series (christianity) and one sounds like a shitty sci-fi flick.

religion is destroying the world....

muslims are attacking jews and christians

jews are attacking muslims

christians are attacking jews...

orthodox jews are attacking non-orthodox

protestants are attacking catholics

one type of muslim attacking the other

world peace is virtually impossible. why?

because people cant agree which storybook is the best.

pretty sad huh.

Hmmm. Smoking cotton balls has made you very wise my son. wink.gif

I always liked this quote to sum up my feelings on dogma: "Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." -Andre Gide (French critic, essayist, & novelist)

But I also like this one too: "Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with. His mind was created for his own thoughts, not yours or mine.” -Henry S. Haskins (British writer)