favorite reads?

chubby

Count of Monte Cristo is my absolute favorite book.. the movie did it no justice. :)

other than that, any Tom Clancy book... my wife has tried to get me hooked on James Patterson.. decent books, but nothing too exciting

I enjoy reading about true crime.

I'm currently into a book called "The Iceman" confessions of a mafia contract killer. So far it's been a really good read. But not for the faint of heart. This guy has to be the most cold and ruthless guy ever.

[quote name='King Mo']I love the sherlock holmes books/stories by Arthur Conan Doyle.

I also enjoy John Grisham.

Dan Browns books were quite funky, digital fortress was a nice fast paced boy's book.[/quote]

Doh! How did I forget Sherlock Holmes!

Hey, that's probably why I liked Dan Brown's books though... Digital Fotress was the first of his books that I read... and I read it when I was 15 I think... Picked it up at the airport book shop because I used to fly alot

If you like 'The Count of Monte Cristo' there is an EXCELLENT anime called Gankutsuou based on it that is fucking awesome. But offtopic...

[b]Parallel Universes - Kaku Michio[/b] A sort of state of the union on theoretical physics, which I adore. I also have Elegant Universe and Imagining the Tenth Dimension waiting to be read.
[b]The Watchmen - Alan Moore[/b] A graphic novel. One of the most brilliant books ever written. Perfect from beginning to end. Everyone should read this.
[b]Alice in Wonderland - Louis Carrol[/b] I love the Wonderland stories. They're awesome.
[b]The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka[/b] The story of Gergor Samsa's transformation into an insect like creature.

I just bought...
[b]The Professional Chef - 8th Edition - The Culinary Institute of America[/b] I love to cook. This book is kinda a bible of how to cook most things. It's a professional cheffing text book. Worth every penny.
[b]The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana - Jess Nevins[/b] An exhaustive encyclopedia of victorian era fictional characters and references. Easily the most complete work on the subject.

I also got a load of graphic novels recently...

I really love steampunk, so I rocked a bunch of named theme graphic novels...

[b]Gotham by Gaslight[/b] 'Other world' Batman tale retold during victorian times dealing with Jack the Ripper in New York.
[b]The Five Fists of Science[/b] A story about Nichola Tesla and Mark Twain as the heros - sounds silly, but it's pretty awesome - robots and electricity guns oh my...
[b]The League of Extraordinary Gentleman (Vol. I and II)[/b] Taking fantastic victorian era literature characters (The Invisible Man, Dorian Grey, Captain Nemo, etc) and forming them into a superhero team. Pretty fuckin awesome.

Also of the normal comic variety - [b]Transformers: Hearts of Steel #1-4[/b] Transformers 'Other world' tale where the transformers are steampowered and other period machinary - [url="http://www.idwpublishing.com/titles/transformers/images/hos/op1.jpg"]Optimus Prime is a train[/url] and [url="http://www.idwpublishing.com/titles/transformers/images/hos/megatron.jpg"]megatron is a giant cannon[/url]. It's pretty great.

Also some Batman I've been wanting to read...

[b]Arkham Asylum[/b] - Psychological horror story about the history of Arkham Asylum and a story involving the inmates taking over the facility.
[b]The Long Halloween[/b] - Some classic batman stories retold. I really love the artwork in this one.

If you only read one thing from this list [b]GET WATCHMEN[/b] - [url="http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Alan-Moore/dp/0930289234/sr=8-1/qid=1161290103/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-0597307-3148902?ie=UTF8&s=books"]http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Alan-Moore/...ie=UTF8&s=books[/url] - It will be the best $13.59 you've ever spent.

I absolutely love to read. A quick glimpse into my list of favorite authors would yield the likes of:

[b]Ravi Zacharias[/b] - One of the greatest minds Christian Apologetics has seen. One of my favorite books he has written is [i]"Can man live without god?"[/i]. This man is a genius.

[b]C. S. Lewis[/b] - I've been reading his books for as long as I can remember. I love [i]"The Screwtape Letters"[/i], it is Such a unique perspective to write a book from that is find it to be one of my favorite books he has written.

[b]John Grisham[/b] - His books always keep me in suspense. I can remember when i first picked up [i]"The Partner"[/i] I couldn't bring myself to put it down. The endings always take me by suprise.

[b]Brian Jacques[/b] - The Redwall series is my favorite series of books EVER. I used to run around with my friends outside and pretend to be Martin the mouse or a member of The Long Patrol of Salamandastron. If you haven't checked out this series I recommend that you do.

A few other books that really stand out in my mind:
[b]Ender's Game[/b] - [i]Orson Scott Card[/i]
[b]Dune[/b] - [i]Frank Herbert[/i]

Books...Books... Gee, I have a couple around here somewhere ([i]like everywhere[/i]) but to compliment my dark, twisted sense of humor, it has to be Joseph Heller's [b][i]Catch-22[/i][/b]. What a nutty read that just can't be put down, even though you want to trash it in the first chapter! You just can't! :lol:

MR Bubble[/i]

obviously, i love reading star wars books. lots of stories, from centuries before episode one, to 50 years after episode six. im kind of bummed that han solo's son turned to the dark side and ressurected the Sith order, but i am sure luke can turn him back, just like he did with Anakin Skywalker. goddamn, i love star wars.

[quote name='Claytron']I really want to read Ender's Game.[/quote]

God I loved that book. The best way to read it is to read it first, then read Ender's Shadow, the book about his little buddy who holds himself back because of his love for Ender. It's a seriously good time.

Catch-22 is another one I saw mentioned, but I just gotta give a great big fuck yeah to whoever mentioned "Watchmen", my all-time favorite comic. ALL TIME. Nothing beats it, nothing compares. No comic will ever approach this one, in my opinion, and it dazzles me why they're making movies like "V for Vendetta" or "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" when they should have sunk all the cash into a Watchmen trilogy. No way to tell all the story at one go, gotta have a trilogy.

F. Paul Wilson is a good adventure writer, check out his Repairman Jack books for a good lil guilty pleasure.

William Gibson takes the spot as my favorite sci-fi author, although China Mieville has made his mark with his Crobuzon trilogy: Perdido Street Station, The Scar and Iron Council, all of which are stylized steampunk books. Gibson, however, has defined cyberpunk in my opinion. Bruce Sterling has done the same for biopunk, although it's not quite as popular as either of the latter genres.

I can't think of anything else right now. Too much guiness.

My favorite books of all time are easily the Dune series. The Frank Herbert originals, and The House Trilogy by his son. I think the rest of the stuff his son has written has really watered down and is starting to ruin the magic.

Also, the Saga Of Swamp Thing series by Alan Moore...I think its great how much philosphy and wisdom are actually imparted through his use of storyline.

Alan Moore is probably one of the greatest living legends of narrative in any medium - I don't think he'll be truely appreciated till he is gone like most brilliant people.

[quote name='Shavo989']My all time favorite books woulk have to be :
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess[/quote]

Clockwork Orange damn right!
fear and loathing in las vegas
On the road

A Fledgling List:

The Eye of the World Series (R. Jordan)
Gryphon and Sabine Trilogy--now up to like 9 books (N. Bantock)
A Clockwork Orange (A. Burgess)
The Bell Jar (S. Plath)
Hitchhiker's Guide--all of them (D. Adams)
An American Tragedy (T. Dreiser)
Choke, Lullaby, Survivor (C. Palahniuk)
Chronicles of Narnia (C. Lewis)
The Reader (B. Schlink)
The Old Man and the Sea (E. Hemingway)
The Executioner's Song (N. Mailer)
Breakfast at Tiffany's, In Cold Blood (T. Capote)
Ender's Game (O. Card)
Pretty much anything by Nick Hornby
Love in the Ruins (W. Percy)...