Coconara bad taste?

Just as some background I've never used coconara before and have also never used a non-quicklight coal. Now that we have that out of the way, I got a package of 20 coconara coals with my recent MYA Bambino purchase and just bought the Walgreen's coil burner tonight all excited to fire it up. I put the burner on high (after running the burner hours earlier for about 10 minutes to burn the whatnot off of it) and dropped two coconara coals on. What happened next I can only describe as a dirty trash burning campfire with roid-rage that stunk up the whole house and gave my wife a headache. Strike one against the coconara... Then after a solid 10+ minutes on the burner and being fully glowing red and lit I put them on my new Sahara Vortex bowl. The first few pulls were pretty thin and whispy, which is to be expected of a fresh coal before the shisha gets nice and warm and smoky, but the whole first half of the bowl gave me pretty weak smoke with the same trash-fire-headache aroma/taste as when the coals were lighting as well but quite a bit of brown sugary ash. At this point I lit one of my 3 year old 3 Kings and immediately got exponentially better smoke. What's the deal? I thought coconaras were supposed to be the "end-all gold-standard" of hookah coals, but my one 3 Kings put two coconaras to shame, smoked them as it were... Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

that really depends, coconaras are a much different beast then quick lights. what is your packing like? where were the coals placed? give us as much info as possible and hopefully we can figure it out. the smell thing kind of makes me wary that you got fakes because the coconara smell has never been anywhere near as bad as quick lights to me. Doing this in a well ventilated area is a must though.

I would message the vendor you ordered from and just mention it to them. They sound like fakes to me, but even with the legit ccn's I noticed a significant dip in their quality around 2012/2013. I switched to Coco Ultimates around then and haven't looked back.

I would message the vendor you ordered from and just mention it to them. They sound like fakes to me, but even with the legit ccn's I noticed a significant dip in their quality around 2012/2013. I switched to Coco Ultimates around then and haven't looked back.

yeah I found a box locally and comparing them to the old box I emptied out they are pretty gross. I definitely need to look in to some different coals.

I packed my Vortex bowl to about 3-4mm or so below the outer rim/inner holes. Standard Starbuzz shisha broken up well, packed well, rested, and test-drawn through before placing coals. Adequate holes punched in heavy duty foil. Coals (after lighting) placed on foil at 9 and 3, rested for a moment, and then pull. Flipped coals and moved maintaining coals opposite of each other. I think my technique, although I've never used natural coals, is pretty much spot on. Also, after finishing the bowl with the 3 Kings when I pulled the foil up there were about 5 dottles of shisha stuck to the foil. It was mainly dry throughout with a tiny bit of juicy shisha toward the bottom. I think I've gotten pretty good at packing over the last 3 years too. Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Tapatalk sucks... I use it mainly just to browse, try not to make lengthy posts with it, as I know it'll always screw it up.

Coconaras suck too nowadays... Go with one of the other recommended brands, like Coco Ultimates, as Ty suggested above.