Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality

â€On

So, I've been following the developments in VR/AR for a few years now, pretty much since the Oculus Rift Kickstarter campaign went live. Now, with all the major players stepping into the game, I think things are really getting exciting and pointing towards this being the real deal, and not just a one off thing that wil fizzle out. 

Oculus being bought by Facebook, Valve teaming up with HTC, Sony producing their own HMD (head mounted display)...there are some big players who are committing to this, and with many options out there, like GearVR (who you pop your own phone into their mount), it is really giving a lot of options to people. You've got tracking devices, like Sixense Stem, and locomotion devices, like the Virtuix Omni,

Right now, the biggest challenge I think most developers are facing is the locomotion thing. The HMD's are pretty much at the point now that when they release to consumers late 2015/early 2016, they will feel completely natural. I have a first gen Rift, and it has a lot of flaws, and still it feels natural after a few minutes use. Movement is tricky though. For actual mapped movements, like walking around a room, you need space. What do you do when you run out of space, hit the boundaries and it keeps moving you forward? With the Omni, does it feel natural enough?

Anyways, I just thought now was as good of a time as any to start a discussion about this. What are your thoughts on VR/AR? Do you think it will succeed?

Crytek got a 1080p 90fps tech demo out that they intend to make into a full on game made for VR headsets. Companies are really putting money into making this a thing, so I hope that leads to affordable options for the average consumer.

I think that's the best part about so many big names getting involved; the more companies involved, the cheaper the consumer products (due to competition driving prices down). I would ideally like to see peripherals and hmd's that span the market. Cheap stuff, intermediate, pro level, etc. 

Yep, in a perfect world there would be a range of devices at different price points, I'm worried that it's gonna be that way but start at expensive, going up to insane though :P