Vape Noob

mjdx88

Alright guys I need some help...

I am a noob to vaping but a veteran hookah smoker. I'm not sure how to procced forward with getting a vape.

I have read part of "How to Vape like hookah", I dont follow all of the jargon.

I can list out what I am looking for / how I am planing to use it and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

The most important thing to me is flavor, then thick white clouds

I will only be smoking at home in the evenings for about an hour or so with the wife. I would like to smoke when I sit down, no messing with parts to get the thing to work. Althought I dont mind general maintenance and cleaning

From what I have been reading it looks like the drip tip is the way to go regarding easy of cleaning / rebuilding VS buying new parts.

I would like something thats ready to go out of the box, but if I have to make a build thats alright as long as someone can recommend reputable sites to part all required parts.

I would like to invest with something that is going to last, again rebuilding / cleaing is okay as long as its not an everyday task. From what I can tell I have a fairly open budget. I was planing on buying a new KM trimetal / large mya and serval kilos of shisha and coals.

Thanks,

Mike

You don't understand all the jargon yet because you haven't watched any YouTube videos nor have you done any Google searches to see what this stuff is. I understand it can seem overwhelming- It did to me as well and that's what put me off for so long getting into it.

My recommendation is, go back and read my thread. You said you read part of it. Just go over it slowly, try to take in the info. Then, head on over to google and type some of the terms in. You'll see pictures that explain the different parts. Go watch build videos on YouTube. The more you watch and read, the easier it will all become. Type in something like "TOBH Atty build tutorial."

While you do that, let me try to find some additional study material I remember seeing somewhere a while back that should help you. I will also go over my thread and try to see if it needs to be updated any.

Sorry if any of this doesn't make sense or is rambling- this is the third time tonight my newborn son has decided (loudly) he wants my wife's boobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, now that I have more time to write up a proper response, I hope I can help you out.

First decision you need to make is if you want a regulated or unregulated mod. Regulated means there's a chip in it and regulates your voltage/wattage. Unregulated is mechanical, meaning no chip. Being able to control the voltage or wattage is nice and all, but I found it overall to be unnecessary, so I stick with mechanical mods (tubular or box mods). Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

Regulated (most popular right now is the Sigelei 150W, but there are others (also cheaper) such as the eLeaf iStick and Innokin MVP, both of which will soon come out with new models): http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGELEI-150W-BOX-MOD-150-WATT-DUAL-18650-IN-STOCK-Authentic-/111575215419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19fa66ad3b

Unregulated Tubular Mod (Popular ones are Nemesis, 4Nine, Stingray, Stingray X, Caravela, SMPL, etc): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nemesis-Mechanical-Mod-Clone-Atmomixani-Brushed-Stainless-Apv-Vape-US-SELLER-/321526565994?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adc7a0c6a

Unregulated Box Mod (This is actually the exact box I have, purchased from same seller, great device): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-18650-Dual-Mosfet-Box-Mod-/321647789933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae3b3c76d

All of the above are powerful enough to chuck tits... or blow massive clouds. Chucking tits is lame vaping lingo made popular by an annoying YouTube reviewer known as RipTrippers. Thought I'd go ahead and let you know this before you see it elsewhere and are left thinking, "what the fu..."

Next, you want to decide if you want a tank or dripping atomizer... Tank holds all the juice inside so you're good to go for a while, whereas with dripping, you periodically drip drops of juice directly onto the coils/wick...

Kayfun v4 RTA ( rebuildable tank atomizer, Kayfun is probably the most popular tank atty out right now): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kayfun-4-V4-RBA-Atomizer-Clone-by-Tobeco-Ships-Free-SS-Matte-Black-/331411130286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4d29a487ae

Mutation X RDA (rebuildable dripping atomizer): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-MUTATION-X-V2-RDA-CLONE-Rebuildable-Dripping-ATOMIZER-RBA-IN-STOCK-/201231747555?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2eda58c9e3

Be sure to look at the pics on both links above... Notice the build decks. I found drippers to be much easier to build on, and I have no problem with my work environment (desk job) dripping juice every so often. Think about your situation and decide which will work best for you, or simply get both, try them, and decide for yourself what you like. You may end up liking both and using both. For me, I found tanks to be a PITA, so I only drip. Plus, RDAs are usually cheaper if I ever want a new one.

Okay, next thing, and I canNOT stress this enough... You need an ohm reader. Why? To be safe. You don't want your coil builds blowing up in your face.

eLeaf Ohm Reader (this is the exact one I have): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohm-Reader-Meter-Portable-Digital-Resistance-Voltage-Tester-by-eLeaf-New-in-Box-/361178527915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item5417eaf8ab

Now we'll talk about coil materials. There's several things you can use, the most popular being kanthal and nichrome. I personally use and like kanthal. It comes in different sizes (gauges), but I found I like 26gauge pretty well. Buying a 100' roll will last you years: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEMCo-Kanthal-A1-wire-26-Gauge-100-FT-0-98oz-Resistance-Resistor-AWG-A-1-/191348249393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c8d3e9331

On to the wick! Organic cotton is the most popular, what I use. My favorite so far is the rolled cotton from CVS. This roll will last you years: http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/first-aid/first-aid-tape-gauze-pads/cvs-rolled-cotton-skuid-955492

Batteries! Most popular ones right now seem to be Sony VTC4 or Samsung 25r. I have both and like them equally well. Both can be found on this site:

Samsung 25r: http://www.illumn.com/18650-samsung-inr18650-25r-2500mah-high-discharge-flat-top.html

Sony VTC4: http://www.illumn.com/18650-sony-us18650vtc4-2100mah-high-discharge-flat-top.html

Note that will may need multiple batteries, if you go with a box-like device. If you get a tubular mod, I still recommend getting at least two, so you have two to swap between, and you can just keep one on the charger at all times. Nothing worse than going to grab your mod in the morning and realizing you forgot to charge a battery! If you go the box mod route, buy a new pair and write a "1" on one, and a "2" on the other. Keep them in the same bay spots all the time, and charge them together. My 25r batts are married together like this in my box mod.

Speaking of chargers, grab a Nitecore, as it will not overcharge the batteries: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-NITECORE-Intellicharger-i2-Li-ion-Ni-MH-Ni-Cd-18650-AA-AAA-Battery-Charger-/400744337316?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4e394fa4

Other than all this, you'll need some needle nose pliers, scissors, tweezers, and it's not a bad idea to have some small precision screwdrivers in case none come with the atomizer you order (they usually do though). I keep all my rebuilding gear in a small bag, so it's all in one place, and I can grab it if I need to take it with me anywhere.

Juice! If you want to vape like hookah, I recommend getting a Max VG, low nicotine juice. I've had great success with the juices from MountBakerVapor.com, but they've been disappointing me lately (just not as good as it was at first). I placed an order recently with VapeWild.com, and I was blown away! Got 3 30ml bottles- Fruit Hoops (tastes JUST like a bowl of Fruit Loops, especially with the cereal aspect on the exhale), Fruity Freeze (great berry menthol), and Tiger's Blood (Strawberry, Watermelon, Coconut). All BURSTING with flavor! Got them in Max VG, 3mg nicotine, and extra flavor shot. Now here's where VapeWild shines- they throw in freebies, and will even throw in certain flavors if you ask them to. I asked if they could send me Sweet Complexity, Chocolate Mint, or Zebra Stripe Gum. They sent me ALL THREE in 10ml bottles! Couldn't believe it. Their customer service is definitely amazing. I will continue ordering with them, and maybe go back to MBV for my Hawk Sauce (one of my favorite flavors).

Ummm, I think that about covers it... To learn how to build your coils- YouTube. There's TONS of videos on it. Whatever atomizer you decide to buy, just type into YouTube, if you purchase a Mutation X for example, "Mutation X building tutorial." Should pull up some good ones. Watch a few and you'll get the idea of it. Then try it yourself. If I was able to learn just by watching YouTube videos, then you can too.

I know this all seems a lot, but once you'll get into it, it'll be a piece of cake. Also, keep in mind that once you've made this initial investment, you're only really ever out on juice, and your time to build. You can use the same coil build for a long time, as long as you clean the coils every once in a while (you just remove the cotton, fire for a few seconds, submerge JUST THE COILS under water. Boom, nice clean coils again!). As for rewicking, I do it every few days, or after a heavy, dark-colored flavor. So really it's not a whole lot of time involved. I'm able to rewick in just a few minutes, and rebuild my coils maybe once a month, if that.

Hope this helps man!

Thanks Chreees!

I was a little exhusted as well last night as I was reseaching this. Hope the kid let you sleep a bit last night ;)

I went back and re-read your post along with rivet's about half-way through rivet's post it started to make sense. Your last reponse tied it all together, I think that the ohm /sub-ohm screwed me up the most.

So I am going out on a limb and I think this is the setup I am looking for...please stop me if going about this wrong. I will only be smoking at home so dripping is not a problem at all, I also like to mix flavors often.

Base off of your suggestion I would like to go with a mech mod, the nemisis clone looks like a solid fit. I kind of like the HCigar (will look up reviews on this)

- Samsung 25r

- Tohb atty v2 clone

- kanthal 26g for coils

There are also a few things I think I still need cleared up..

You have recommend ebay for most of the parts...I have no issue with ordering from ebay but how do I know which mod is a good clone? From reviewing a few sellers they all seem to have good reviews but i have seen 3 different clones off the tohb.

With the RDA's do I need to purchase a driptip?

Are there any trusted vendors to purchase common mods from? Royalvape.com looks good but I havent seen a lot in feedback from them.

With juice there are so many venders is there a list of better ones out there? How do we know they are not mixing anything other than quality PG/VG with the flavorings?

BTW Already ordered by ohm reader, and I will most likely purchase some juice from wildvape tomorrow, it looks pretty good. Also who doesnt like freebies!

Thank you again for the advice!

- Mike

He did let me have some sleep last night, but was up at 4AM. Sat there staring at me for an entire hour before he finally fell back asleep, lol.

Everything looks good. Good choice on the 25r batteries- they're more likely to be legit, as there are problems with fake Sony VTC4 and 5s being produced right now, so there's a higher chance of you obtaining fake ones rather than legit ones, regardless of if the seller is aware of it or not.

I linked eBay because that's where I've bought most of my stuff so far, and those are going to be your cheapest prices, besides getting in on the Facebook group buys that supposedly exist (I haven't really looked into them, plus I hate waiting lol). What I try to do is look at the seller's feedback and find feedback specific to the item I am looking to purchase. If it all looks good, then I order that item with confidence.

Good choice on the TOBH Atty v2, that was my first RDA. It's great.

If you're worried about getting a good mod, I can perhaps help you make sure you get a good one... I just did a trade with a guy on reddit, and he's sending me a 4Nine Prime with both a patina'd tube, along with the regular polished copper tube. Also a Geyser RDA. I can test both and make sure they work well before sending them to you, to make sure you're getting a good first setup. Hell, I'll even have a fresh clean coil build on the Geyser, and have it freshly wicked when I ship it to you. The guy is shipping them to me today, so I should get them early part of next week, MAYBE this Saturday. Give me a day to test them, then I can let you know. I'd send them to you for $40 plus shipping (few bucks). I'll even throw in some VapeWild juice (Chocolate Mint, 10ml, Max VG, 3mg nic & Zebra Stripe Gum, about two-thirds left of the 10ml bottle, Max VG, 3mg nic). Both great flavors. Let me know if this is something you'd like to do. I don't mind letting this stuff go, as it was simply backup gear in case anything ever happens to my box mod or Vulcan RDA.

Here is a pic of the patina'd 4Nine tube the guy is sending me: http://i.imgur.com/h3sCETS.jpg The other tube will simply be copper.

Here is the Geyser RDA (example, he hasn't sent me a pic of his, but said he only built it once): http://tinyurl.com/k8hex74

As for other juice vendors, you're right that there are a TON out there. I simply look at what's trending on reddit. Bombies, Space Jam, Cuttwood, Five Pawns are some other juices that are highly popular, off the top of my head. I only stick with MBV and VapeWild because they're priced so low, and I'm afraid if I purchase these higher-end juices, I'll spoil myself and no longer be able to vape the cheap stuff. :D Regardless, I have been very pleased overall with my purchases so far from MBV and VapeWild.

Heh at least you are getting bits here and there. A few friends of mine had it rough the first few weeks. Btw Congrats! I just saw the post earlier that he was born just last week!

The 4Nine looks kick ass. The quad coil setup in the geyser looks interesting too!

If your up for the trade/buy, I'm in just PM me the details when you have a moment, theres no rush, no pressure. 

Got my batteries, charger, kanthal on order. I'm going to place a sampler order from vapewild tomorrow, looks like a good deal and the wife is really into some of there flavors. Might even spree for some of the Space Jam Stuff.

Thank you again for all the advice and help...I think am caught up now for the most part.

He's actually about 5 weeks old now, but thanks. :)

I'll shoot you a PM regarding the 4Nine and Geyser here in a minute...

Nice. I recommend getting the VapeWild juices in 3mg nic, Max VG, extra flavor. Then when you get them in, open each bottle and give each around 30 squeezes (be sure to not squeeze too hard, or else the juice will shoot out! lol). Then replace the caps and give each a good 30-second shaking. Do this every day or so if you remember, for at least a week, preferably two weeks. This process is called steeping, and is usually almost essential for fresh, made-to-order juices. Now, I understand you'll want to try them out right away, and you can, but just understand that the flavors won't really shine until a week or two in... sometimes 4 weeks later!

I still have not tried Space Jam, but really want to. Again, afraid I'll spoil myself and then be damned to buy expensive juice all the time, haha.

No problem man! Any other questions, feel free to ask. There's several other guys on here who vape a lot, and can help as well. I encourage them to still chime in on this conversation, as it never hurts to have several points of view on these things. :)