Apartment Problems

My air conditioner hasnt been working yet this year i went to turn it on Tuesday (when i was 100 degrees....no crap) and it didnt work, i called them wednesday and told them, its now Sunday and i havent seen a repairman yet and my air conditioner still isnt working.

What are my options in a realistic sense?  Im not sure who to call to find out what i can have done when the apartments aren't holding up their end of the bargain. I've had friends tell me i can terminate my lease early and leave?? THAT would be fantastic, get out 3 months early\

Any Ideas?

Whether or not you can terminate your lease depends on a lot of things, most importantly what state you live in and how the landlord/tenant laws are written.  I'd be careful  though because they can enter a failure to honor the lease against your credit and there aren't too many things that would do you more damage than a quasi-eviction.  I suspect you'd have better luck following up, asking them when the repairman will arrive, and ask them to cover the cost of a hotel until the repair is made.  Tell them also that you're trying to be patient but if repairs are not made within (48 hours?) you will have no choice but to report them to your state housing authority for remedial action.  They may then offer to let you out of your lease  early to shut you up.  Key is you have to keep talking to them and you have to know the governing laws in your state.  Oh, and make sure any demands are in writing, even if only email.

'Rani

very nice, Thank you! I did some digging into state laws and it turns out that AC is NOT a "Must Have" unless your elderly or have kids, the only really need to supply you with Water and Heat.....Kinda crap! but i bet they will get it fixed today so im not TOO concerned, im gonna call and leave em a message again.

Thanks!

Look a little more into the laws. If AC was there when you signed the lease they may have to keep it running for the length of the lease. If you go an extended time without it and it's consistently over 100 degrees there may be something you can do about it. 

Look a little more into the laws. If AC was there when you signed the lease they may have to keep it running for the length of the lease. If you go an extended time without it and it's consistently over 100 degrees there may be something you can do about it. 

This is almost certainly true.  You signed a lease that included air conditioning.  They have to fix it or they would have to modify your lease to credit you for the lack.

'Rani

Usually its  in the lease that the landlord must keep the apartment within a certain number of degrees to a temperature. Like within 4 degrees of 72 I think is standard.