Greetings From A New Member And A Simple Question

jyaan

Hello everyone. I really enjoy smoking a pipe every now and then (I have a small collection of briar, clay and corncob pipes as well as various premium tobaccos), so I thought maybe the hookah would be something I'd like as well. I bought a Mya QT earlier today at my local tobacconist and I'm about to try it out.

Just out of curiosity, is it necessary to inhale the smoke? I smoke pipes, so I'm not used to inhaling.

Also, I'd like to get some disposable tips to use when friends come by. My hose has a wooden tip, so does this mean I need to get the male mouth tips, or will female still work?

welcome to HF!

You dont have to inhale the smoke but I usually do. Male tips are what you need use if that type of hose but if you find a female tip that large enough you can use that as well.

I find that inhaling is a preference with hookah. I take big enough hits, I inhale some of the hit without actually having to suck more air in to get all the smoke down.

Well I'm smoking my hookah for the first time right now and it's quite nice. I was really surprised to see that the tobacco is so sticky and moist, and that when smoked it actually tastes just like the flavor it's supposed to. Also seems that inhaling isn't so bad because I still get a lot of flavor.

What kind of non-fruit flavors are there? Fruit seems pretty good but I think I'd like something a little more bitter too. Coffee? Honeyed spices?

Welcome to HF! I think most of us inhale. You got a great first pipe. It's one of my favorites. As for non-fruits, there's plenty. Depends on the brand, but about all of them have some ones that are not fruity.

As a briar pipe smoker, I too wondered about the inhalation question. When prepared correctly, hookah smoke is incredibly mild. No tongue bite and the pipe is supposed to gurgle. I've been meaning for some time to get some straight perique tobacco and mix it into something like a mint shisha.