Government Funds

So as you may have heard, there is a possibility of a government shutdown.

Under a Government Shutdown, all non-essential funding is stopped. basically the only things that would typically funded are fire, police, medical, armed forces, and corrections... [font="sans-serif"][size="2"] [/size][/font]

I (current service member) am now getting word that troops won't be getting paid, but still required to work.

Just figured I would pass the word, as not everyone knows yet...

[url="http://www.navytimes.com/news/2011/03/military-contingency-plan-government-shutdown-031111w/"]Navy Times article on Government Shutdown[/url]

Well, I guess all I can say is we gotta do something... i mean hell, they just keep spending and spending. That does suck that troops maybe wouldn't get paid. What about their families? It's just not right. My sister's fiance JUST went into the Marines. Lot of people are going to feel the hurt from this. It just sucks WE have to feel the hurt for our gov's mistakes. Reward the millionaire and billionaire CEOs, yet punish the middle-class. Welcome to America!

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1300053210' post='501336']
Well, I guess all I can say is we gotta do something... i mean hell, they just keep spending and spending. That does suck that troops maybe wouldn't get paid. What about their families? It's just not right. My sister's fiance JUST went into the Marines. Lot of people are going to feel the hurt from this. It just sucks WE have to feel the hurt for our gov's mistakes. Reward the millionaire and billionaire CEOs, yet punish the middle-class. Welcome to America!
[/quote]

Not just the billionaires. How much money did we send overseas last week in foreign "aid"? Which aids no one but despots that our government chooses to keep in power. We just keep inching closer and closer to full revolution, and nobody seems to get it. The end of this country will be the same as any other - when the military gets put in the middle and is forced to choose between the government and the people of this country. Anyone who doubts they would choose the people when they're finally backed against the wall doesn't have a clue about the military. So sure, lets's just give them a reason that much sooner, why don't we? This is so far beyond stupid that it staggers the mind of every reasonable person. And in my view completely immoral. That we would ask your youngest, brightest and best to sacrifice even their lives and yet not put them first and foremost when it comes to supporting their families is deplorable. No one in Washington cares anymore about the people they are supposed to serve. Everywhere we see proof of that, over and over and over. And we just keep tolerating it. All those guys out in the woods practicing survival skills that we all thought were crazy? Looks like they just might have been right all along.

'Rani

Well knowing how young military people operate. I don't think they will ever not pay the military. If they do, just think about the number of service members that won't be able to pay their mortage/rent on the first of the month. The number of clearances that will be lost would be through the roof. So I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I did some digging around and saw several things that said essential services such as military, police, firefighters, etc. would not lose their pay. So I'm convinced it won't happen. My concern is- why isn't the news covering any of this? I've been watching and not seeing anything.

“All military personnel will continue in normal duty status regardless of their affiliation with exempt or non-exempt activities,”

They are saying you will still work. Same with the exempt activities such as fire, police....etc. They will continue without pay too. Though I don't see in my contract where it says I have to work without pay.

Pay would continue to the military.

It's just the "discretionary & non-essential" spending that stops. And frankly, with the state of the US deficit... should happen.

Who would have guessed, the propaganda from both sides is trying to scare people into thinking soldiers won't have MRE's or bullets,the jail gate will be thrown open, and the SS recipients won't have money, and resort living in chicken coops, eating cat food. - none of which happens.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1300209010' post='501576']
Pay would continue to the military.

It's just the "discretionary & non-essential" spending that stops. And frankly, with the state of the US deficit... should happen.

Who would have guessed, the propaganda from both sides is trying to scare people into thinking soldiers won't have MRE's or bullets,the jail gate will be thrown open, and the SS recipients won't have money, and resort living in chicken coops, eating cat food. - none of which happens.
[/quote]

And THIS is why they get away with the crap they do. Because we all sit around going "Ah, pa-shaw, it won't happen, no need to worry." And then a year or two or ten, they actually do it because we didn't get upset back in the day when we thought they might.

'Rani

It's really the disagreements between the Senate and the House that are even entertaining the idea of a shutdown. The proposed shutdown is due to the fact that the two sides of congress can't come to an agreement for government budget cuts. Democrats complain the Houses 61 billion in budget cuts would ruin economic recovery but I think it's just the democrats trying to postpone a recession that is truly needed to get the economy back on it's feet. American's are living beyond there means and everyone is going to have to make some sacrifices in terms of their lifestyle and daily rituals if they want the economy to regain stability.