Rolland Natural Finger Coals

Easy-Lite Japanese Charcoal. Black and orange box. by Rolland Charcoal company.

Great coal. Lights fast. No flavor if you blow the silver cover off after the coal is hot. Very easy to manage these coals. If smoking at home I throw them on my butane burner for 3 minutes and they are ready. If smoking away from home I hold one black end over my zippo for 1 minute and place in the ashtray for 5 minutes and they are ready. Great price on these coals too $5.79 for a box of 96 at a local store.

• 9 months later...
Rolland Hookah Finger Coals laugh.gif

Okay, this is the second time I have used naturals. The first was Diamante dry.gif , which sucked REALLLY bad! They taste horrible and they burnt my bowl of tobacco. angry.gif

Anyway, I wanted some new coals so I got these

I know that its made by the SAME company who makes the Rolland Quicklites and those quicklites (from what i've heard) are really bad. But trust me, their naturals are very different from their quicklites (in a good way!)

The bag looks like this:
http://hookahcompany.com/rolland_hookah_fi...s_2480_prd1.htm

Smell: Somewhat of a smell but not really. I don't know how to describe it but it doesn't have a "chemical" smell to it. When it's fully lit, the smell goes away. 9/10

Taste: None at all! All I could taste was the Starbuzz 10/10 biggrin.gif

Lighting: With my Bernzomatic, it takes about 5 minutes. Ahh It sucked because I'm used to using quicklights 9/10

Length: It depends on what size you break off. 1 roll broken into 3 will last about 45 minutes
Ash: You don't really need to ash these too often and thats what I like about them! They don't friggen break into pices when you ash them like quicklights do. You probably only need to ash them every 15 minutes biggrin.gif They also ash into fine layers 10/10
Overall: 9/10. The only thing I don't like is the fact of how long it takes to light (but its probably because I used to using quicklights) But I'm sure when I'm used to using these, I'm most likely giving them 10/10! I'm DEFINITELY going to use these for now on!

Also, what I like about these coals is that you can break them apart without straining your muscles when their not lit lol. And I really like how they can break into pieces easily with tongs when their red hot.

If you ever get the chance to use them, go for it! I highly recommend these coals! cool.gif Edited by JillyIsJustKidding

• 3 weeks later...
So last night, I arrived back in my hometown and headed off to one of the many Hookah bars to get some quality tobacco and some natural coals.

They didn't have the brand I usually get, so I decided to try a new type. Not having Exotica coals, I decided to try Rolland Naturals as shown is JillyIsJustKidding's post above :

QUOTE (JillyIsJustKidding @ Nov 3 2007, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rolland Hookah Finger Coals laugh.gif

The bag looks like this:
http://hookahcompany.com/rolland_hookah_fi...s_2480_prd1.htm

Anyway, here is my review of them.

Smell: When lighting on my stove top, the coals release a nasty burning smell. Not as bad as some quicklight coals, but unpleasant to say in the least. After they have been lit though, they don't produce any noticeable smell. 9/10

Taste: Smell no evil, taste no evil as in there wasn't any of that evil coal taste that can be found in Japanese style coals or those nasty, nasty quicklight coals. 10/10

Lighting: I, as mentioned above, used my stove to light the coals. They take a few minutes to light fully (which is fully dependent on the size of a chunk you decided to use) and smell a bit when lighting, but other than that I find them to be a great light, especially because they don't break apart or catch on fire and set off my smoke alarm in the process. These babies stay lit a fair amount of time too! 9/10

Size: After a few tries, I've found it best to break them into four equal pieces and initially light two. And after about twenty minutes into my session, I throw another chunk on my stove and throw it on with the other two coals (which are then about half the size of what they initially were) and finish my bowl. 10/10

Ash: Not too much! These are slow and great burners and the ash is very fine and easy to scrape off the coals and the bowl when the ash rears its ugly head. 10/10

Usability: They're not as messy as some of the other natural coals I've used and are not just thrown in the bag. I defiantly dig the way the bags are loaded. Simple and organized. 9.5/10

Overall: Probably the best naturals I've used to date.

• 1 month later...
Rolland Quicklights
I got a few of these with my first hookah, and got an extra box because they are cheap. I still have about half of that box.
Lighting: These lit fairly quickly, but most likely only because I use a 3 burner butane lighter that tends to shoot out butane about a foot lol. The one time I tried to light these with a normal lighter they took forever.
Smell: Unconsistant. When lighting, they always smell terrible, but after they are lit sometimes they would smell terrible and have terrible flavor, but sometimes they were pretty good and did not smell at all.
Longetivity: Again, unconsistant. Some lasted fairly long, but usually for a good session (maybe 2 hrs in length) you would have to change the coals at least once, and probabally twice.
Ashing: Normal ashes, fairly regular all around the disc.
Score: 5.5/10
Definately not great coals, the unconsistancy is what gets to me. Sometimes they give great smokes, othertimes they are simply terrible. When I get quicklights from now on they will be 3 Kings, but to be honest I find that I like natural coals better and can actually light them decently with my butane lighter so I am probabally going down that route.

• 2 weeks later...
Rolland Finger Coals

Container: These coals come in a bright orange bag with Rolland Finger Coals on the front of them.

Where to find them: So far, the only company that I know of that sells these coals has been Hookah Company.

What they look like: They come in about 6 inch long logs and are roughly 3/4 of an inch wide. These are round coals, unlike the Exotica Square Coals.

Lighting method: I use a coil stove, they take about 4 minutes to get going fully. These coals smoke a little bit, similar to Three Kings. Light in an open area if you have a sensitive nose.

Smell: Also similar to Three Kings. They smell a little bit when they light, but after that, these coals do not smell at all. 9.5/10

Taste: These coals impart no taste on the shisha once they are fully lit. All I could taste was goodness. 10/10

Ash: Rolland Fingers ash very well. The ash that comes off, the best way to describe it is fluffy. It doesnt ash finely at all and none gets into the shisha. Although you might want to ash them every 15-20 minutes to keep them from creating a mess. 9.5/10

Heat: These coals produce very warm heat, you may want to use 1 coal if you have a shallow bowl, otherwise use two. They heat the shisha very well without burning it. 10/10

Time: They last roughly 1 hour, maybe more. Very good length of time for coals. 10/10

Overall: I'm very impressed with these coals. Rolland did very well with them. They are relatively inexpensive compared to good quicklights and if you have the proper lighting method and the patience, these coals will not let you down. Once again, very little smell, no taste, very good ashing, warm heat, and awesome length of time, I'm giving these coals a 9.8/10 score. Very well done!

• 1 month later...
Rolland Instant lites.

Ease of Liteing(sp?) - took 2 seconds to get it sparking then it stoped sparking after 20 seconds, and completly ashed over by it self in another minute.

Smell: When igniting, it had a pretty strong smell but that smell completly went away when it became completly ashed over.

Taste: I personaly didn't notice any taste and these where my first ever QL's

Ash: Not bad, had to ash the coals every 5 to 10 minutes though, which I don't mind.
Overall: for my first ever QL's i liked them, altough after about an hour i felt nausea, or however you spell that, but thats probably because of the 2 full size meals i ate with only one hour apart from eachother ><.

I give these 7.5/10

• 3 months later...
Rolland Quicklight review

Duration: 32 minutes
Ease of Lighting: 4 seconds to initiate sparking with a bic. 2.5 minutes till ready.

Smell :Smells godawful once it sparks over. I was even outside.
Ash : Solid ash, but a definite full layer of it.

Shape: Like a standard QL, pretty solid, too.

Heat: Hot enough to oxidize tinfoil.

Taste: Didnt notice any taste impartion, but I let it ash twice before putting it on.

Overall: 6/10. They are better than Torch Swifts, in QL regards as they ash just right, and start way quick. I have to say these are a third place behind 3k and Goldens.

• 3 months later...
Rolland Natural finger coals
Appearance: Round logs
Ash: A SHIT TON
Time: for a piece cut into abit under an inch cut in half so they are flat on one side i would say like 30 min or so
Heat: they put off a decent amount of heat
Amount: sold in Kilo Bags bought the bag for i think like 10 bux at a local shop

overall like a 7.5/10 decent price for alot of coals that arent that bad

• 2 weeks later...
Rolland Natural Coals

Lighting - B
The lighting process is comparable to other natural coals. It takes less than 5 minutes to get the coals lit and glowing throughout. However, one gripe that I have with these coals is the way they light... maybe my stove's just too powerful, but after I place these on the coil and turn it to max, the coals start macking weird cackling sounds like they're going to explode. And, in fact, they do explode in a way... I don't know how to describe it, but after lighting two batches I have to clean the whole stove top because there are black pieces of coal everywhere.

Smell - A-
Smells like a campfire for a few minutes, but as they light up the smell goes away. Doesn't have a lingering stench, cracking a window open while lighting these coals takes care of the problem.

Taste - A
This is where the coals shine, they impart virtually no taste of their own.

Heat - A
Another strong point, the coals aren't blazing hot, just perfect for heat management.

Ash - B+
I guess it's OK for a natural. They ash a lot, I have a whole ashbox on my tray by the end of the second batch. But that being said, they ash in layers, which really helps, and rarely break apart (I have to actually drop them on the ash tray to break them).

Longevity - A
I think these coals last a fair while... can't tell you a number because I tend to use many small pieces for heat management, and small pieces burn faster than bigger ones.

Price - A+
A kilo of these ran me $5 at a local hookah store. Great value. Also, the packaging is really nice, the fingers are neatly arranged in the thick paper bag so there are not that many broken ones and it's easy to get them out.

Size Consistency - N/A
All of the "fingers" are of the same dimensions, there were a few broken ones in my bag but that may have been my fault.

Ease of cutting: A+
I take a butter knife, serrate the coal finger into 5-6 pieces and break them with my hands. Perfect split almost every time.

Overall - B+
Given the low price of these coals, the only gripe that I have with them is the way they kind of explode while lighting... Scary. And messy :/ If it weren't for that problem, I'd give them a solid A.

• 1 year later...
Rolland Natural Finger Coals

I bought these cause stupid me ordered my Coco's on a sat. night from John, and I don't feel like waiting so long for them :P

Cost: Guy at the smoke shop didn't have a clue, sold me the 2lb bag for $12 :D (Last time I went in, asked the same guy how much, he told me $20)

Ease of lighting: Not hard at all, threw them on my 1100 watt burner and took five minutes.

Smell: When lighting them, they gave off a woody smell, almost like a campfire! Loved it, until my smoke detector went off, and I almost knocked over my hookah trying to get to the smoke detector before the rest went off in the house (they're all linked :P)

Taste: None at all that I can distinguish. They had less of a taste than the 3k I were using.

Longevity: I broke them into 1-1.5" thick chunks my first time around, as it was my first time using fingers. As I continue to use em, I might experiment more. I got maybe, an hour or so out of each set of chunks. I used 4 on a medium phunnel with nak orange, and got killer clouds and great tasting shisha. The ash was very fine, and a light gray color, alot nicer than the 3k's ash, or any QL I've used for that matter.

Overall, I would rate these 9.5/10, only because I almost broke a hookah and my neck trying to beat my smoke detector :lol:.

I had heard many things about Rolland's QL's (which he also sold, and I mentioned all the bad things I've heard, and he said that he doesn't use them in the lounge, 3k only, but he's used the rollands at home, with no problems, says its user error) but I was very impressed with my first foray into the natural coal world. If I ever need to get these again, I won't mind getting them at all.