mustafabey

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1320132577' post='529701']
Chrisssss. I could PM you but why would I... This thread is so useful. I need your help with some filming and editing stuff! <3
[/quote]

How can I be of service? Fly me out there to Cali, have a limo pick me up, pay for my 5-star hotel, and pay me $1 million in advance and I can do whatever you want. ;)

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1320174017' post='529772']
@Dave: hahaha. How did you know..... ;)

@Chris: Just with some filming advice... and also some tips on final cut pro. :)
[/quote]

Sure man, what do you need to know?

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1320176921' post='529785']
[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1320174017' post='529772']
@Chris: Just with some filming advice... and also some tips on final cut pro. :)
[/quote]

Sure man, what do you need to know?
[/quote]

Final Cut Pro X was as awful as Vista was on it's initial release.

Just saying! We returned it here. My Media department went back to an older version on the mac and bought a PC with Premiere.
Premiere rendering video and audio on separate drives is faster than FCP in any configuration.

Well we will be using the Final Cut Pro at the editing buildings at school. They have the version before Pro X. Just want to make our footage look as much like an actual movie as possible. I'm going to try really hard to get good shots and work on my filming technique as a whole. So we'll see.

Yeah, everyone in my field hates Final Cut Pro X, so you're not alone there, Stu. Everyone I know still uses 7 and will continue to until they fix a LOT of things on X. Which Apple is planning on doing, from what I've heard. So yeah, basically they released it too soon before it was completed and a nicely polished product.

Concerning Adobe Premiere vs. Final Cut, the industry mostly uses Final Cut (7, not X). It's basically Final Cut and Avid, the two big ones. Premiere is great too, however. Only one guy I know who uses Premiere and refuses to use anything else. They're all good and can get you what you want, all just a little different in their own ways. People will pick a favorite and stick with it, but all in all they do the same stuff. I've been trained on Final Cut Pro 7, Compressor, Color, Motion, and DVD Studio Pro, so that's what I use. Had I been trained on Premiere or Avid, I'm sure that's what I'd use instead.

Mike, so you're going to be the director of photography for this project? Let me find you some good videos on shot composition and whatnot. Should help you out.

Also, maybe it's about time I make a Final Cut Pro 7 tutorial. Been meaning to. When will you start editing this project? I can try to make some vids for you before you start post-production. In Color is where you can really give it that film-like look.

What camera will you be using? If possible, get something that shoots HD, at least 720p, and 24fps (frames per second). Film is typically shot in 24fps, so if you shoot it in this, it will help you get the results you're looking for. If you shoot in anything faster, you'll lose the film look.

We are shooting this weekend Friday morning through Sunday evening. We will be editing all next week. We checked out a bunch of equipment from school. We have tripods, boom mics and we got a nice camera too. Here is a pic of the camera we got. It's a Sony HDV 1080i.
[img]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2562/photoka.jpg[/img]

Excellent! You got probably the best camera for the job! Make sure everyone is mic'd well. Also, make sure to get a slate (the black/white clapper you often see) and slate each take (write down scene and which take it is) so it's easy to find everything in post. Haven't seen your script so not sure, but you should be able to use a boom mic for everything. In tight spots where the boom would be seen in the frame, use lapel mics if you can. Good for such scenes as two people talking in a car, that kind of thing, where the windows are down and you're shooting from right outside the door, both angles. The mic that's on the cam? Use that for reference audio, so you can match up things in post. Be sure that for each scene, you get 30 seconds of ambient noise before you leave the location. This way you can fix audio hiccups in post.

This dude seems to know a thing or two on 24fps, hope it helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSqvDRvv22M&feature=related

Been browsing around and I've determined there's already so many Final Cut tutorials out there, haha. So don't wait for mine (I may still do one, most likely will actually). Anyway, this guy's is good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qok-r_Q0mM

Awesome! I'm getting excited now! The script will be complete within the next day or two. We have a rundown of how the film will go, which Corey and I wrote to get a basic outline of the whole project. Would you mind taking a look at it? Make sure the whole thing looks decent, and there aren't any plot holes and things like that? I could PM it to you.

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1320183277' post='529818']
Awesome! I'm getting excited now! The script will be complete within the next day or two. We have a rundown of how the film will go, which Corey and I wrote to get a basic outline of the whole project. Would you mind taking a look at it? Make sure the whole thing looks decent, and there aren't any plot holes and things like that? I could PM it to you.
[/quote]

Sure, I'd love to read it.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1320184895' post='529825']
[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1320183277' post='529818']
[/quote]

Sure, I'd love to read it.
[/quote]

PM'ed it to you. Don't be afraid to tell me what's wrong with it too. We want to make sure this looks really good. :) Thanks Chris <3

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1320188060' post='529832']
Gonna read it now. Err, maybe I should study for my test tomorrow... haha. It'll get read real soon, I promise!
[/quote]

Read itttt. It's not super long lol.

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1320188650' post='529834']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1320188060' post='529832']
Gonna read it now. Err, maybe I should study for my test tomorrow... haha. It'll get read real soon, I promise!
[/quote]

Read itttt. It's not super long lol.
[/quote]

I did, and it was good!