2 Begginer Questions

Hi, I just recently purchased my first hookah, its a 13" with vortex bowl, and im seeming to have 2 problems.

first off, no matter what i do when i suck air no bubbles will be made, i have this feeling something is wrong with my stem. looking down the stem i cannot see through it. (ball bearing and hose are good).

second off when smoking from my friends hookah i am getting lots of smoke but thats all it is, i cant taste any flavor. what could possible solutions be?

thanks, nick.

[quote name='delSol_si' date='30 July 2010 - 03:18 PM' timestamp='1280521093' post='477087']
if there is a purge valve, make sure the ball is still in there and free. Make sure all your seals are good.

What brand of shisha are you smoking?
[/quote]

it is hookah hookah shisha, and i can blow air out, just not suck air in, like with or without the bowl attached, and when trying to smoke anyways, no smoke will come out the bottom of the stem.

[quote name='nickkk' date='30 July 2010 - 02:56 PM' timestamp='1280519760' post='477084']

looking down the stem i cannot see through it. (ball bearing and hose are good).

thanks, nick.
[/quote]

When you look down your stem you should be able to see through it. I would take a coat hanger or something thin like that maybe if you have a stem cleaning brush and try to get whatever is blocking the way out.

[quote name='Caila' date='30 July 2010 - 03:43 PM' timestamp='1280522590' post='477090']
[quote name='nickkk' date='30 July 2010 - 02:56 PM' timestamp='1280519760' post='477084']
looking down the stem i cannot see through it. (ball bearing and hose are good).

thanks, nick.
[/quote]

When you look down your stem you should be able to see through it. I would take a coat hanger or something thin like that maybe if you have a stem cleaning brush and try to get whatever is blocking the way out.
[/quote]

well i took a shishkabob and put it in there, it was metal like they had accidently welded it but i broke most of it out, now its bubbling and seems to be working right, now just for the shisha, i feel like it could be because im burning it? but i leave a gap between the shisha and the foil and i only use one charcoal and it still seems to over heat it

[quote name='nickkk' date='30 July 2010 - 03:48 PM' timestamp='1280522926' post='477092']
[quote name='Caila' date='30 July 2010 - 03:43 PM' timestamp='1280522590' post='477090']

thanks, nick.
[/quote]

[/quote]

well i took a shishkabob and put it in there, it was metal like they had accidently welded it but i broke most of it out, now its bubbling and seems to be working right, now just for the shisha, i feel like it could be because im burning it? but i leave a gap between the shisha and the foil and i only use one charcoal and it still seems to over heat it
[/quote]

If you bought it at a store - return it. There should not be anything blocking the stem whatsoever. It's most likely a manufacturers flaw and if I was on the receiving end of that purchase - I'd demand my money back.

Also - the hole in the stem should be the entire diameter of the stem, otherwise you are not going to get the airflow you want. More airflow = better.

To help you out on the burning situation I need some more information.

What kind/brand of coals are you using? Quick Lights? Naturals?
What size of coal? Are you using whole 40mm? Are you cutting them in half?
How long are you lighting them?
How are you packing your bowl? How are you poking your holes in the foil?

As a hookah fanatic I feel obligated to inform you that Hookah-Hookah tobacco is crap. It's the bottom end on the shisha quality chart.
A good brand(s) for beginners is Al-Fakher or Al-Waha. Inexpensive, low/slight buzz, and it's really hard to mess up.
If you have a tolerance for buzz get Tangiers Lucid or Nakhla. It's nice stuff and also not expensive.
Also - social smoke and starbuzz make some interesting flavors, but it is a tad more expensive.

[quote name='porksandwich9113' date='30 July 2010 - 04:05 PM' timestamp='1280523943' post='477094']
[quote name='nickkk' date='30 July 2010 - 03:48 PM' timestamp='1280522926' post='477092']

thanks, nick.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you bought it at a store - return it. There should not be anything blocking the stem whatsoever. It's most likely a manufacturers flaw and if I was on the receiving end of that purchase - I'd demand my money back.

Also - the hole in the stem should be the entire diameter of the stem, otherwise you are not going to get the airflow you want. More airflow = better.

To help you out on the burning situation I need some more information.

What kind/brand of coals are you using? Quick Lights? Naturals?
What size of coal? Are you using whole 40mm? Are you cutting them in half?
How long are you lighting them?
How are you packing your bowl? How are you poking your holes in the foil?

As a hookah fanatic I feel obligated to inform you that Hookah-Hookah tobacco is crap. It's the bottom end on the shisha quality chart.
A good brand(s) for beginners is Al-Fakher or Al-Waha. Inexpensive, low/slight buzz, and it's really hard to mess up.
If you have a tolerance for buzz get Tangiers Lucid or Nakhla. It's nice stuff and also not expensive.
Also - social smoke and starbuzz make some interesting flavors, but it is a tad more expensive.
[/quote]

well i also have a hookah freak 100g which is what i was using.
but i have 40 mm coals i believe, when i had this smoke problem i was using one of those and its a quick light.
however i did buy cocos and some other non quick lights but i havent tried them yet.
i am sprinkling in the bowl leaving a space below the rim, i am poking 3 sets of circle holes in the foil.
would cutting my coal in half and having it on opposite sides be better since its a small hookah?

oh and also i did pretty much clear the whole stem out, and should work fine, i'd return it but i dont wanna bother paying like 15 to ship it back when the hookah only cost 40 to start

[quote name='nickkk' date='30 July 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1280526815' post='477097']

well i also have a hookah freak 100g which is what i was using.
but i have 40 mm coals i believe, when i had this smoke problem i was using one of those and its a quick light.
however i did buy cocos and some other non quick lights but i havent tried them yet.
i am sprinkling in the bowl leaving a space below the rim, i am poking 3 sets of circle holes in the foil.
would cutting my coal in half and having it on opposite sides be better since its a small hookah?
[/quote]

Hookah Freak isn't very good either. :(

Try cutting your 40mm coals in half. That will help with the burning for sure.
Just take a knife, set it on top and push with some force. It should split right in half. I generally use 3 halves at a time.
Also - what brand of QL? A ton of them are crap. Three Kings is the only one I would ever use.
Good call with the coco's. You only want to use that in halves as well.
I believe if you take it out, set the knife on top, and then a hit with a hammer and they split right down the middle.

When you light them, you need a coil burner or stove top. Leave them on each side for about 2 minutes. The entire coal needs to be lit, not just one side or the outsides.

[quote name='nickkk' date='30 July 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1280522926' post='477092']

thanks, nick.
[/quote]

[/quote]

well i took a shishkabob and put it in there, it was metal like they had accidently welded it but i broke most of it out, now its bubbling and seems to be working right, now just for the shisha, i feel like it could be because im burning it? [b]but i leave a gap between the shisha and the foil and i only use one charcoal and it still seems to over heat it
[/quote][/b]

Try putting more shisha. Add shisha till it's a little over the brim of the bowl.