Making A Homeade Phunnel

ezxen

So my phunnel broke and im low on cash so i decided to make my own phunnel. I started one about the size of a large using some crayola clay i had lying around and its sittign to dray thing say 3 days to dry and i was wondering if anyone knew if there were any hazards from smoking from it and any paint i can use on it my girlfreind has vinly paint in the closet will that be safe? Any info will help thanks

[quote name='ezxen' date='04 April 2010 - 03:58 AM' timestamp='1270367917' post='461787']
So my phunnel broke and im low on cash so i decided to make my own phunnel. I started one about the size of a large using some crayola clay i had lying around and its sittign to dray thing say 3 days to dry and i was wondering if anyone knew if there were any hazards from smoking from it and any paint i can use on it my girlfreind has vinly paint in the closet will that be safe? Any info will help thanks
[/quote]

Dont use it. Trash it, buy a bowl. If you need one private message me i'll ship you one but what ever you do dont use a bowl made out of anything you can make an air dry. Most likely anything that can air dry is made up of some chemical polymer make up, not straight natural earth ingredients which are found in normal clays. Once the clay is fired, it become Inert, so it really cant be changed or altered unless brought back up to around 2200 degrees. Which your air drying clay, it probally never is inert, so if you even heat it up with a coal, it may release some gasses or just straight up burn.

A good rule of thumb is never to smoke out of anything that is not intended for that purpose. I dont want to sound like a debbie downer, but its really not a good idea to smoke out of anything besides things that are ment for smoking. Even though smoking is something as simple as heating/lighting a material to burn and inhaling it, the hookah's and parts your smoking out of were researched and designed, and are made out of materials that are pubically known safe to smoke out of. Many materials will release all kinds of fumes and gasses and things that will hurt you.

So just be careful, get the MSDS for that material if your set on smoking out of it before you do. http://www.crayola.com/canwehelp/contact/faq_view.cfm?id=154 I believe you can find it there. That'll tell you the melting points and this and that.

As for the painting business, if you paint on the outside of something it should be ok. But again don't put it on anything where heat will be applied.

Jake

[quote name='bellydancerakn' date='08 April 2010 - 12:43 AM' timestamp='1270712580' post='462645']
If your REALLY REALLY desperate man, just make a bowl using tinfoil. Or wait until your new bowl comes in. I'd sugest the latter.

Also, you can always make fruit bowls. Don't forget that!!
[/quote]
Freuit puennel?