Opening Up A Hookah Lounge

Tehx

Dear Hookahforum.com people!

I am from upstate New York in Saratoga. I have been to hookah lounges before and I love them dearly. They are the reason as to why I bought my own. However, I went to them when I was away for college and now that I am back home in Saratoga, their are no Hookah lounges.

If anyone could help give me information on setting one up that would be awesome. Right now I have just been doing Demographics to see if it would even be a good idea. I have only done one day of surveying, and my results have been amazing. 3/4 of the people I surveyed had positive results. I mean that is okay for now seeing as how I only did one day of surveying, but I plan to do more now.

If anyone could help me out by letting me know like permits I would need, any good Hookah distributers, or any other information would be really nice.

Thank you!

First and foremost, what do YOU want out of your lounge? That's very important to start with. On the customer end of the spectrum, make sure you keep something open for everyone, this means music, atmosphere, the whole 9 yards. Cater to what your customers need and want and you'll at the very least be "the place to go." Prices and all that shit will contribute, but others on this forum can contribute to that aspect of your lounge ownership.

Think of when you first went to a hookah bar: was that exactly what you wanted? Was the atmosphere and music up to your standards? Was the business consistent?

[quote name='KyleTheJustin' date='31 January 2010 - 01:45 AM' timestamp='1264927557' post='448699']
First and foremost, what do YOU want out of your lounge? That's very important to start with. On the customer end of the spectrum, make sure you keep something open for everyone, this means music, atmosphere, the whole 9 yards. Cater to what your customers need and want and you'll at the very least be "the place to go." Prices and all that shit will contribute, but others on this forum can contribute to that aspect of your lounge ownership.

Think of when you first went to a hookah bar: was that exactly what you wanted? Was the atmosphere and music up to your standards? Was the business consistent?
[/quote]

Well I have all that down I am talking about what's the best way to talk to the Zoning people about it, what permits would I need, all of that. I want to get all the legal stuff to be done first to even see if my town will allow it.

[quote name='Tehx' date='31 January 2010 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1264993047' post='448799']
[quote name='KyleTheJustin' date='31 January 2010 - 01:45 AM' timestamp='1264927557' post='448699']

[/quote]

Well I have all that down I am talking about what's the best way to talk to the Zoning people about it, what permits would I need, all of that. I want to get all the legal stuff to be done first to even see if my town will allow it.
[/quote]

Sounds like you need advice from a lawyer or someone of the like... They will know the specifics about your area and everything that goes along with it.

[quote name='Jeff_T' date='01 February 2010 - 03:07 AM' timestamp='1265011627' post='448855']
[quote name='Tehx' date='31 January 2010 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1264993047' post='448799']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sounds like you need advice from a lawyer or someone of the like... They will know the specifics about your area and everything that goes along with it.
[/quote]

I was able to find out a lot of information just from the internet, in terms of what types of permits are needed etc. A lawyer is a good idea, might save you a few hours of navigating the web looking for regulations and the like. I think you may need a federal tax ID number for the tobacco, and if smoking indoors is illegal in your state theres some special permit you need (at least here in Ohio there is).

nys is a tough place to start any smoking business. they are very restrictive regarding tobacco. good luck. one of the reasons i moved to Tennessee.

[quote name='Venger' date='05 February 2010 - 10:42 AM' timestamp='1265384569' post='449891']
nys is a tough place to start any smoking business. they are very restrictive regarding tobacco. good luck. one of the reasons i moved to Tennessee.
[/quote]

Doesn't surprise me the least bit. Bloomberg in NYC is the one who passed the no smoking indoors which we now have here in Ohio.
It's not impossible to start a smoking business, there are several hookah bars in Cleveland and pretty much on ever college campus here. You might have to go to several cities before one will allow it, but who know you might get lucky.

[quote name='Tehx' date='30 January 2010 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1264890318' post='448626']
Dear Hookahforum.com people!

I am from upstate New York in Saratoga. I have been to hookah lounges before and I love them dearly. They are the reason as to why I bought my own. However, I went to them when I was away for college and now that I am back home in Saratoga, their are no Hookah lounges.

If anyone could help give me information on setting one up that would be awesome. Right now I have just been doing Demographics to see if it would even be a good idea. I have only done one day of surveying, and my results have been amazing. 3/4 of the people I surveyed had positive results. I mean that is okay for now seeing as how I only did one day of surveying, but I plan to do more now.

If anyone could help me out by letting me know like permits I would need, any good Hookah distributers, or any other information would be really nice.

Thank you!
[/quote]

I own a few businesses and the only advice I would initially give is to talk to the local city representative to discuss the various restrictions licenses, permits that might apply. You might put a lot of time and effort into a business that the local government won't allow under normal ordinances. You could
also ask for a city variance but that process may be a drawn out affair because of the type of business. Most city's need businesses and I think
you might have more of a receptive audience than you think. I was in Holland 2 summers ago and the whole country banned indoor smoking. As this was
mostly meant for traditional cigarettes it created much confusion for hookah bars, smoke shops and the like. Government likes one size fits all legislation.

[quote name='Venger' date='05 February 2010 - 09:42 AM' timestamp='1265384569' post='449891']
[/quote]

TN ftw!

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='06 February 2010 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1265481686' post='450082']
[quote name='Venger' date='05 February 2010 - 09:42 AM' timestamp='1265384569' post='449891']
[/quote]

TN ftw!
[/quote]
Knoxville to be more specific. new york was taxing me to death and I lived in Rochester,NY which gets an average of 150 inches of snow from November till May. After 43 years of that nonsense I picked a state with no state tax and little or no snow. Knoxville fit the bill for Us. Been here now for 3 years and still love it. The grass really was greener on the other side of the fence. For example a pack of smokes here that cost 3.50 is gonna run you 8.50 in Rochester. be glad for what you have here.

[quote name='Venger' date='06 February 2010 - 03:31 PM' timestamp='1265488284' post='450096']
[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='06 February 2010 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1265481686' post='450082']
[/quote]

TN ftw!
[/quote]
Knoxville to be more specific. new york was taxing me to death and I lived in Rochester,NY which gets an average of 150 inches of snow from November till May. After 43 years of that nonsense I picked a state with no state tax and little or no snow. Knoxville fit the bill for Us. Been here now for 3 years and still love it. The grass really was greener on the other side of the fence. For example a pack of smokes here that cost 3.50 is gonna run you 8.50 in Rochester. be glad for what you have here.
[/quote]

Yeah I grew up in Poughkeepsie. It's definitely nice down here in the TN but [i]MAN[/i] I miss those NY pizzerias and diners....That's probably the biggest thing I miss about living up there is the food..

[quote name='Venger' date='06 February 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1265488284' post='450096']
[/quote]

TN ftw!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Lol, do you laugh when we get 2 inches of snow here and the whole state including schools shuts down?

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='10 February 2010 - 11:52 PM' timestamp='1265863955' post='450876']
[quote name='Venger' date='06 February 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1265488284' post='450096']
[/quote]

TN ftw!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Lol, do you laugh when we get 2 inches of snow here and the whole state including schools shuts down?
[/quote]
I do actually. What really makes me laugh is if they even call for snow people go out and buy a months worth of milk and bread. seriously how long do you think your gonna be stuck for? longest snow that lasted more than a few hours in the last three years was gone in two days. I still drove in it.
Ray