My Newest Hookah Build

Jimbo64

Howdy,

This is my first thread here, so let me also say hello, my name is Jim, I live in northern California.

I love to work on custom glass. stained glass, copper, brass, wood, and so on. One of the things I've been making lately is custom hookahs.

I started this one last week, and its pretty close to finished. I'll add a purge valve, and the hose attachment next.

[attachment=4670:hg-hookah.jpg]

Comments welcome!

Jimbo-

[quote name='cotsi95' date='21 January 2010 - 08:38 AM' timestamp='1264088316' post='446830']
looks good i love the stained glass? and the copper mouth tip.
[/quote]

Problem with Copper though is thats prob. not 100 copper meaning theres some leads in it which can be dangerous...not 100 percent sure what your materials are thats why I asked but if that is copper then you may not want to smoke out of that bad boy to often...then there the arguement that copper does disinfect....

copper is debatable but I wouldnt mess around with anything that not 100%...visually its a nice piece though. :)

LOL,

All the copper tubing I use meets ASTM B 42 standards. It doesn't contain any lead. Its 99.96% copper, .04% phosphorus. This standard is used for potable water supplies.

I'll toss in a quote about the "Safe Drinking Water Act" (SDWA June 19th 1986).

[i]The Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) requires that after June 19, 1986 only "lead free" pipe, solder or flux may be used in the installation or repair of (1) Public Water Systems, or (2) any plumbing in residential or non-residential facility providing water for human consumption, which is connected to a Public Water System. Under section 1417(d), "lead free" as defined in the SDWA means that solders and flux may not contain more than 0.2 percent lead, and pipes, pipe fittings, and well pumps may not contain more than 8.0 percent lead.[/i]

So, "Lead free" isnt really lead free, but I'm not drinking thru this thing, I'm smoking :)

I built it to use female mouth pieces though. :D

Now, if someone can point me to a study that shows its bad to plumb a hookah with it, I'd be interested in reading it.

Looks great, very mod. Only thing I'd change is the size of that hose tubing. Can't wait to see the finished product and some smoking pics...

looks great!!! i love it. but i agree with the above about the hose. it may be too small to get a good pull. cant wait to se pics of it going.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
jim, hookah looks great. like a few people said though, i would definitely change the hose diameter - i don't know if you're going to be able to get a decent pull from that one. best of luck!