Flying With Hookah

QUOTE (MonkeyFresh @ Nov 22 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread is very helpful, Ill be going to New Orleans in the spring for a week to do some service work
I want to bring my QT with me and all the other stuff needed to smoke, but I was afraid that I might have the coals or shisha confiscated
I think I'll be ok though if i just pack them alright, Ill probably pack everything in a tupperware container
The coals I'm still a bit worried about, i'm gonna try and pack some CH QLs but ill pack some sealed Golden QLs as well in case the CH ones are confiscated, due to them being unsealed or what not

Good luck to us both! I leave Monday.

I packed my check-in baggage with my Mya QT, over 1kg of tobacco, 3 boxes of coconaras and accessories. The tobacco was not in the original packaging, i repacked it into separate airtight plastic containers. I am suspecting that the scent of the tobacco attracted the drug dogs in the TSA baggage check area in the airport. It was an international flight from USA to asia. Upon arrival, I found TSA tape wrapped around my suitcase and a piece of paper inside saying it was checked.

Nothing was stolen by the security agents.

Also, it is not a matter of legality whether or not your items will be confiscated, It just depends on the agents and whether or not they are in the mood of needing to power trip or whether or not they are in need of a new hookah and/or supplies for their NHT.

Flying with your hookah and tobacco is cool. Just make sure that your glass base is wrapped good so it doesnt break. They will however check your bag. They do it to me every time.

I've flown with nargiles twice, both with no problems. First time was with a screw-together one snugly packed in a Mya case, carried as hand luggage. No questions asked. Second time was a more traditional one bought at the Dubai Airport Duty Free (for dirt cheap!), and they wrapped it very carefully in bubble wrap. I declared it on my landing card coming back to the US, no questions asked, and the Customs agent even said "hey, nice hookah!" as I walked by. I think they know what they are, plenty of people coming back from the Middle East bring a nargile back.