Ice Cold Water, Warm Smoke?

I've had my hookah for about 6 months. The first few times I used it it was really good. I've found I really like "hookah hookah" brand tobacco. I've stopped using my hookah as often though because I'm not able to relax and enjoy smoking because of warm smoke and burning the tobacco quickly. I'm constantly having to rotate the coals. Is it my hookah or my bowl? I'm using ice water in the base and I've tried tin foil and screens. I'm using 3 kings coals currently but others have done the same thing. I've smoked with friends from their hookah and never tasted the burnt taste that I'm getting. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Sam

first thing stop using quick lights that will make a big difference especially 3 kings the coals are huge and put off a lot of heat and hookah hookah isnt the best brand of tobacco i would look into switching soon if you want a better smoke

Edit: a good place to look to find alternatives to what you have now would be the review section of the forum
you can find out whats worth a darn and what to avoid there and possibly find some stuff that might fit your palette

I Have the same problem, almost always. My hookah sessions aren't lasting much, i use 99% of the time Nakhla Tobacco and some big ZG coals, is the size of the coal that's burning too fast my bowl?

QUOTE (davivalente @ Jul 4 2009, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I Have the same problem, almost always. My hookah sessions aren't lasting much, i use 99% of the time Nakhla Tobacco and some big ZG coals, is the size of the coal that's burning too fast my bowl?

try starting with less coal and working your way up...

if it tastes like burning you are using to much coal, and once a bowl gets burned like this it is hard to recover. start with less coals, and be patient about your hookah warming up...

The best way to do it is light up one coal. Set it in the center (also make sure you have a bunch of tiny holes in the foil.) Wait for about 10 minutes set it on the very edge of the bowl and light up another coal. Put that one on the opposite edge and then smoke. It should last awhile like this. Then once the coals are getting smaller put them both in the center until they die. Try it and let me know how it worked for you. Edited by Zooyork15

Get rid of hookah hookah, it has to be the most ville thing I have ever smoked. Also we need info on your hookah pictures would be exceptionally helpful. Start by breaking your ql coal in half and setting one half on one edge of your bowl smoke for a few mins and if the smoke seems too thin add a second one to the other edge, if it starts to go bad take off the other half.

Also is is hot where you smoke, are you smoking outside?

This is more with respect to the warm smoke issue as opposed to the burnt tobacco (I second what other people have suggested above); try putting the hose in the fridge for twenty minutes-ish prior to smoking, often this can mitigate the issue quite a bit. However, you shouldn't do this with the Nammor, apparently, if that's what you happen to have, I know according to Hookah-Shisha's website it says something about the Nammor not being able to withstand cold temperatures.

I will agree that HookahHookah is not a great shisha, but I wont bash so hardcore like most will. Its decent for about 5 minutes. I dont think your going to find any way around burning it, thats just the shisha.

• 3 weeks later...
quit hatin on hookah hookah haha its a good brand especially for the price. one of my local lounges carries it and it smokes really well, it has a tendency to over heat some times but its easily fixed. flavors last LONG and smoke, depending on the flavor, is usually thick and robust. anyway

id switch out the coals.
for some exotica fingers or silvers

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (fezmeister @ Jul 24 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
quit hatin on hookah hookah haha its a good brand especially for the price. one of my local lounges carries it and it smokes really well, it has a tendency to over heat some times but its easily fixed. flavors last LONG and smoke, depending on the flavor, is usually thick and robust. anyway

id switch out the coals.
for some exotica fingers or silvers

my gf worked at a hookah bar that served hookah hookah and hookah freak ive tried every flavor they have to offer, i hate all of them, period. some of them are alright but i think id rather smoke AF and nak and tang

Ok number 1, never ever put a full quick light in the center of the bowl, no matter what. Always break up your coals or else you will burn it in one spot and not even heat the rest of it. Secondly always make sure you have enough tobacco in the bowl. Dont be afraid to pile it in, I dont care what some people might say, it does not matter if tobacco is touching the foil so long as you dont get it too hot too fast in one spot. The biggest most important thing aobut smoking hookah is learning to manage your heat. If you want a good smoke, but dont like rotating your coals, my suggestion would be to not worry about hookah any more, buy cigars. Hookah is totally about heat management and packing.

I agree with SimplexCoda. In order to have a good smoking experience it is mostly about heat management. The best form of coal to use is a quick lighting coal. Secondly, do not constantly move it around; keep it on the edge and leave it until you feel it is time for a new coal to be put on.

With regards to your hookah. Give it a thorough cleaning and change your brand. Smoke some Al Fakher man. Use Baco foil as it is extra strong. If you really want to enhance your smoke, condition your hookah to one flavour only!!

• 1 year later...
my hookah started doing this recently, i use Afzal tobacco. I found that it was either because the quality of foil i was using was not good enough ( the cheaper it is the thinner it is) or i wasnt putting enough tobacco into the head, if you dont use enough it chars pretty quickly and burns harsh, put more in, it keeps itself cooler because the coal doesnt heat it up so quick.

[quote name='mesa1' timestamp='1249470106' post='393520']
I agree with SimplexCoda. In order to have a good smoking experience it is mostly about heat management. [b]The best form of coal to use is a quick lighting coal[/b]. Secondly, do not constantly move it around; keep it on the edge and leave it until you feel it is time for a new coal to be put on.

With regards to your hookah. Give it a thorough cleaning and change your brand. Smoke some Al Fakher man. Use Baco foil as it is extra strong. If you really want to enhance your smoke, condition your hookah to one flavour only!!
[/quote]

Really? Never knew that. And I know a few people here will disagree.

@Topic : Switch over to natural coals, takes longer to light them but it's totally worth it, if you don't want to taste any coal during your sessions. I'd suggest coconaras or exoticas, though there are many and most of them are good - Check the coal review section for more. And have you tried anything apart from hookah hookah? I've never tried it but I've heard a lot of bad things about it so I don't wish to either. Get some AF tobacco, or tangiers.

Note : To light naturals, you will need an electric coil burner, I hear that walgreens carry them for somewhere between $10-13.