Any Mountaineering People In Here?

Rani

I'm reading "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer who was part of the disasterous Everest assent in 1996 that killed so many. His descriptions of what happens to someone during a climb into such high altitude make me wonder why anyone would do it. Anyone here climb who can explain it to me?

'Rani

Well I have limited understanding of the mountaineering draw, but from what I know it's sort of like why people drive race cars, sky dive, etc. It's a rush, a sense of accomplishment when you reach the top. And a lot of people like to push their limits to see what they can achieve. I'm sure all of us can relate some part of our lives to that ideal.

But good question, i'm curious to see what everyone says.

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Jun 9 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I have limited understanding of the mountaineering draw, but from what I know it's sort of like why people drive race cars, sky dive, etc. It's a rush, a sense of accomplishment when you reach the top. And a lot of people like to push their limits to see what they can achieve. I'm sure all of us can relate some part of our lives to that ideal.

But good question, i'm curious to see what everyone says.

I get the adrenaline rush thing, and pushing your limits, but...... Well, here's a quote from the book.... They were in Camp Four about 22,000 feet ASL........

"Brain cells were dying. Our blood was growing dangerously thick and sludgelike. Cappilaries in our retinas were spontaneously hemorrhaging. Even at rest, our heats beat aat a furious rate. Rob (Rob Hall, leader of the group who died on the mountain) promised that "bottled oxygen will slow the decline and help you to sleep.""

I mean, we're talking extreme damage to your body as a natural part of the ascent..... I'm looking forward to understanding why anyone would do that to themselves. There's a rush of pleasure attached to adrenaline, but this is almost self-destructive in it's determination to damage yourself just to say you did it. Adrenaline doesn't exist in this exercise. The author talks about trudging very slowly for hours up an ice fall, stopping every few minutes to be able to breathe even with oxygen.

'Rani

I don't mountaineer (those guys are nuts) but I do participate in technical rock climbing. You know, the kind of climbing you can do at a climbing gym. For me, it's an addiction. I can't stop, I'm in the gym three times a week and hitting up out door hot spots as much as I possibly can. Something to do with the feeling of being completely and utterly exhausted, muscles pushed to their absolute limit, being bloody, bruised, and otherwise sore... it's an amazing feeling.

From what I understand about mountaineering is that it has a lot to do with conquering mountains. Some people do it to find ways up a mountain that nobody has ever used before, thus seeing pieces of rock and mountain that have never been seen or touched by a human (up close). For most, it's all about the same drive that the great explorers of the past had. I bet people said the same things about Magellan.

QUOTE (firecrafter695 @ Jun 16 2009, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't mountaineer (those guys are nuts) but I do participate in technical rock climbing. You know, the kind of climbing you can do at a climbing gym. For me, it's an addiction. I can't stop, I'm in the gym three times a week and hitting up out door hot spots as much as I possibly can. Something to do with the feeling of being completely and utterly exhausted, muscles pushed to their absolute limit, being bloody, bruised, and otherwise sore... it's an amazing feeling.

From what I understand about mountaineering is that it has a lot to do with conquering mountains. Some people do it to find ways up a mountain that nobody has ever used before, thus seeing pieces of rock and mountain that have never been seen or touched by a human (up close). For most, it's all about the same drive that the great explorers of the past had. I bet people said the same things about Magellan.

Yeah, after finishing the book I'm inclined to agree "those guys are nuts". I had a climber working for me once. Cool guy who told me a lot about rock climbing. He thought free climbers were nuts. I'm not remotely inclined to go mountaineering up a glacier, but...... I've decided I'm going to get seriously healthy and take up trekking. Which is kind of like Nordic hiking on steriods. I even have the poles already. I guess a lot of people fantasize about heoic climbs like Everest, but after reading the book, trekking about as far as I'm willing to go out on that particular limb!

'Rani

Free climbing is only moving up the wall under your own power. I think the term you're looking for is Free Soloing - moving up the wall under your own power without protection.

Nonetheless, I used to think those guys were nuts, but I find myself now soloing up super easy climbs without even thinking I'm doing it.

To those of you who don't understand mountaineering. may I say its like explaining the emotions and feelings of making love; to a young child...impossible. yours Heinrich Harrer