I Don't Think Me And Hookah Get Along - Throw Up After Last 2 Sessions.

Firstly your reaction sounds like classic C02 poisoning, which isn't immediately deadly, unless you over do it. but it may not be that so I'm trying to cover everything in my tips.

So here are a few tips:

1) make sure your quicklight or any coal is COMPLETELY red before you use it, and there is no smoke or sparks coming off of it

2) I'm not sure what kind of bowl you're using, but if you're using a phunnel bowl don't put the coals directly over the hole in the middle or close to it. If it's a regular bowl pack just a tad more shisha to make sure you're getting more vaporized juices than coal smoke.

3) Check your entire hookah for possible things that might be messing with you, mold, mildew, etc. Especially your hose (if it's not a washable)

4) JD might be right could be the food coloring, or an ingredient fantasia uses

Lastly like everyone else is saying if it's none of these things you'll be fine once you get used to smoking. My older bro who's been smoking a 1-3 packs a day for the last 8 years felt queasy after smoking some of my tangiers. So it varies to everyone.

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Oct 5 2008, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) make sure your quicklight or any coal is COMPLETELY red before you use it, and there is no smoke or sparks coming off of it

I make sure its completely red before I start.

2) I'm not sure what kind of bowl you're using, but if you're using a phunnel bowl don't put the coals directly over the hole in the middle or close to it. If it's a regular bowl pack just a tad more shisha to make sure you're getting more vaporized juices than coal smoke.

Its a normal egyptian. I make sure its super fluffy and fill it a teeny tad past the brim of the bowl, then i gently nudge it down til its below the rim and i cant see it when i look at it from the side

3) Check your entire hookah for possible things that might be messing with you, mold, mildew, etc. Especially your hose (if it's not a washable)

hmmm.. i dont know if my hose is washable or not.... ive washed it before. it doesnt smell like rust/mildew/mold. theres a stale shisha smoke smell in it.

4) JD might be right could be the food coloring, or an ingredient fantasia uses

Maybe, Ill try a different brand my next session.

The only time I get a violent headache and feel like vomiting is when I use any brand of Quick-Light coal. Use natural wood coal, and light it on a stove. It definitely takes longer, but tastes MUCH cleaner and should not give you Nausea/Headaches. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

QUOTE (jezter6 @ Oct 6 2008, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Umm....my boxe indicate it's not washed.

Maybe you should not smoke some fake Fantasia tongue.gif

oh wow. good point. I'll check the box when I get home and see if it's washed or not. i assumed it was washed.

if you say its unwashed then that is most likely the problem, too much nicotine. ohmy.gif

I was kinda surprised to find the number of unwashed tobaccos out there as well. I thought it was only Nakhla and Tangiers for the longest time, but when I did my big buy, I think most ended up unwashed.

Hmmm.. if it ends up being unwashed then I need to order some AF flavors for this weekend when there's going to be a large group smoking. Most of them never ever smoke anything tobacco and I don't want everyone getting sick especially the girls, lol.

Well. I just called Fantasia and he didnt know if it was "washed or unwashed" but said the leaves they use are very low in nicotine but very high in sugar, and the process that it goes through does include a "washing" of sort. The box of the fantasia says 0.5% nicotine. I called HS and they said the only unwashed shisha they carried was nakhla and tangiers..... so I guess its unwashed?

Maybe the food coloring or high sugar concentration is whats making me sick? Time to try another brand to see what happens.

EDIT:

http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=283580

That post says fantasia has as much nicotine as nakhla and many other brands at 0.5%. Tangiers is at 0.3%. AF is 0.05%.

Maybe time to order some AF. Edited by surface

hi all Im new here...and what a way to start...lmao

Im sitting here spinning after soloing about half a bowl of havana blueberry...20 mins into it, I got sick...had to go put out the coal and stop before I changed my name to ralph...pretty bad...never had it hit me like that before...Ive been through about 8 bowls now, and my first solo would knock me down, wouldn't it... only thing I can think of causing mine was the frequency of inhales...(I drag deep to get the full effect...perhaps too full of an effect...)

hope this doesnt happen again...maybe I need to take it as a sign...quit buying from the local headshop...lmao :-P

It could be that you have low tolerance to carbon monoxide, meaning your body can't break it down as fast.
I tend to get a little nauseous if i smoke a whole session of unwashed tobacco (like Nakhla) by myself without talking to anyone. Talking tends to help release the carbon monoxide out of my system, more efficiently so than just breathing.

QUOTE (ahcompy @ Oct 7 2008, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi all Im new here...and what a way to start...lmao

Im sitting here spinning after soloing about half a bowl of havana blueberry...20 mins into it, I got sick...had to go put out the coal and stop before I changed my name to ralph...pretty bad...never had it hit me like that before...Ive been through about 8 bowls now, and my first solo would knock me down, wouldn't it... only thing I can think of causing mine was the frequency of inhales...(I drag deep to get the full effect...perhaps too full of an effect...)

hope this doesnt happen again...maybe I need to take it as a sign...quit buying from the local headshop...lmao :-P

bigger breaks, not as deep. havana isnt very strong (or maybe im just at the point that i dont think most stuff is strong at all). especially on solo sessions just take like a normal breath not a deep inhale with it and you will get the buzz you want especially if you havent smoked a whole lot
-matt

QUOTE (surface @ Oct 6 2008, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well. I just called Fantasia and he didnt know if it was "washed or unwashed" but said the leaves they use are very low in nicotine but very high in sugar, and the process that it goes through does include a "washing" of sort. The box of the fantasia says 0.5% nicotine. I called HS and they said the only unwashed shisha they carried was nakhla and tangiers..... so I guess its unwashed?

Maybe the food coloring or high sugar concentration is whats making me sick? Time to try another brand to see what happens.

EDIT:

http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=283580

That post says fantasia has as much nicotine as nakhla and many other brands at 0.5%. Tangiers is at 0.3%. AF is 0.05%.

Maybe time to order some AF.

the company doesn't even know how much nicotine is in its tobacco and you think the % on the box is accurate? its washed tobacco...it has almost no nicotine and its flooded with glycerin and food coloring.

no one tests the percentages of nicotine in the tobacco...maybe nakhla did once...
of all of the numbers, i only trust tangiers at being .3% and nothing else buzzes me half of what tangiers does.

QUOTE (mattathayde @ Oct 7 2008, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (surface @ Oct 7 2008, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why would they put food coloring in shisha? not like you see it for more than 2 minutes when you prep the bowl.

brand distinction, to cover lower quality/inconsistent color of tobacco, flavor distinction, some flavorings come colored

-matt

never seen colored flavorings unless they are syrups.
they do it to attract your eye. gooy tobacco looks disgusting to most people, but glowing green or red don't look nearly as bad and people instinctively don't make that nasty association.